Aberdovey - North Wales - Wales

Gwynedd,
LL35 ORT,
Wales

• +44 (0)1654 767493

• West end of Aberdovey on A493 adjacent to railway station.

• Welcome - contact in advance

• Gareth Pritchard

• Herbert Fowler, Harry Colt and James Braid

• Joe Davies

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Aberdovey

Bernard Darwin at Aberdovey“If one dare write about Aberdovey at all,” wrote Patric Dickinson in his book, A Round of Golf Courses, “one must begin by letting Bernard Darwin through on the way to the first tee. For this links is ‘his’, and it is all and more than one would expect from a writer and golfer of such style; for it is both a ‘classical’ and ‘romantic’ links.”

Aberdovey Golf Club is set enchantingly within the Snowdonia National Park at the mouth of the Dovey Estuary, and the links are wedged between the Cambrian Mountain range and the shore. “I can just faintly remember the beginning of golf at Aberdovey in the early eighties,” wrote Darwin in his 1910-book The Golf Courses of the British Isles. “Already rival legends have clustered round that beginning, but the true legend says that the founder was Colonel Ruck, who, having played some golf at Formby, borrowed nine flower pots from a lady in the village and cut nine holes in the marsh to put them in.” A great deal has changed since then and the hands of many great architects have touched Aberdovey: Herbert Fowler, Harry Colt and James Braid. It is not surprising that it is such a revered links.

Despite its old age, Aberdovey is no shorty, measuring over 6,700 yards from the new "Darwin" back tees. It will test, and has tested, the very best golfers, playing host to a number of amateur championships over the years and it was here as a youngster, that Ian Woosnam developed his craft. It isn’t the hardest links course in the British Isles by any stretch of the imagination, but when the wind blows, it can throw the ball off line and into the punishing rough. Only the skilful will score well.

There is so much history at Aberdovey that you cannot help but fall in love with the place. Running alongside this classic out-and-back links is the railway line, reminding us of the days when the trains were full of travelling golfers. Darwin’s short story entitled “Aberdovey” tells an enchanting, romantic and amusing tale about his many pilgrimages to this Welsh links and how he used to love writing down the names of the stations as they passed by. Or as Patric Dickinson said: “A round at Aberdovey is always a brave and gay adventure, whatever the wind’s quarter.”

Reviews for Aberdovey

Description: Aberdovey Golf Club is set enchantingly within the Snowdonia National Park at the mouth of the Dovey Estuary... Rating: 4.9722222222222 out of 6

What an enchanting place to site a golf course! From the moment you cross the rail line to the clubhouse, you feel you are in a special place to play golf. I’m surprised no previous reviewer has Aberdovey Golf Course - Photo by reviewermentioned the relatively tough start here amongst the sand hills on the opening three holes before the round unwinds in a figure of eight over flatter terrain, apart from the short par three 12th hole, where the green nestles on top of the dunes. Aberdovey offers more than holiday golf as it measures over 6,100 yards from the gents regular tees so expect to have to work a little to play to your handicap. I loved the way some of the holes, like the par fives at 7 and 13, incorporated sets of fairway cross bunkers to protect par. The famed short par four 16th is another great hole, following the left curve of the railway track from raised tee to elevated green and it’s a real nerve jangler to encounter so near to the end of a round. The architectural stamps of Messrs Colt, Braid and Fowler are to be found on this delightful links and I for one am glad I played my first game in the Principality on a course fashioned in part by these three golfing greats. Jim McCann.
June 12, 2011

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played on a beautiful links kind of day, plenty of sunshine and thankfully only a gentle breeze! This is holiday golf in its rawest and purest form. Received a friendly welcome from the steward and professional alike. Sits in a delightful location and I will defiantly be back but for a few days and not just the day.
May 31, 2009

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played last week in a strong breeze and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. True links course with many good holes. The service off the course is v good aswell. Nice clubhouse with good facilities. All three of us preferred Aberdovey to Royal St Davids and Porthmadog, Play it if you can. enjoy !!!
May 24, 2009

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played the course on a very nice sunny day with very little wind and thought the course was excellent. The greens were very true even if they were a little on the slow side.The course is incredibly flat for a links course especially the greens which means that however far away you are, you are never challenged with a very difficult putt. In this sense, the course is not that difficult to make a score on providing you hit it relatively straight.I can't really think of one bad hole. I thought the drivable 16th was great, especially when a train is coming straight towards you- make sure you don't hook it!All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my day there and will definately be returning.
May 05, 2009

See other reviews from this reviewer
Had the pleasure of playing dovey during the 09 open day. With only a light breeze to contend with on a glorious, sunny day, we were given the opportunity to score well. This is a classic links laid out between the dunes and the railway track. A new clubhouse and great professional staff give the place a classy feel and the course does not disappoint. After the tough starting hole you will find a fine set of par 3’s including the infamous “cadle” (where I cherished a 2) and several standout par 4’s including the 11th and the fabulous 16th , a true risk and reward hole – are you brave enough?! Very impressed with the recent work completed on the bunkers and although the greens were a little slow on the day, they rolled fair and true. This is golf as it should be – testing but fun. I certainly look forward to a swift return.
May 05, 2009

See other reviews from this reviewer
Arrived on the train wondering how to get there when I saw at the end of the platform 'Welcome to Aberdovey Golf Club" how convenient! The staff were ever so welcoming and always had a smile (which may have been that they found my quintessential English accent funny compared to that of the broad valley Welsh they were accustomed to). They set us on our way and we had two great rounds which for juniors is £15 a day! The course was in good nick despite appalling weather the previous day and greens were running well. Really enjoyed my first links experience and recommend the trip to anyone!
November 06, 2008

See other reviews from this reviewer
When I visited in June 2007, I really enjoyed the traditional, old world links feel to this course, including the unfussy groundskeeping, the grazing cattle, electric cattle fences, etc. While the conditioning wasn't prissy and perfect, the condition of the fairways and greens was quite good. The quirkiness (intended in the best sense of that word) of one of the closing holes (16? 17?) a short par four reminded me of North Berwick. A classic old links not to be missed, and ingeniously wedged into a small parcel of land. Very friendly and helpful staff in the pro shop and restaurant.
November 05, 2008

See other reviews from this reviewer
I was told by a fellow golfing friend to try out Aberdovey, we had a 3 day trip to Royal St David's, Nefyn and Porthmadog organised. After reading several raving reviews I made the trip 4 days to include Aberdovey and boy was I glad I did. Although arriving in dreadful conditions, driving rain and 45mph winds, we were sat in the delightful new lottery funded club house having lunch just itching to get out there. Getting the all clear to tee off earlier than arranged the club pro wished us luck and hoped we survived the conditions. Although we had the elements to contend with it didn’t dampen our enjoyment, condition of the course was amazing, greens very true, and even the massive sea gulls are friendly and helpful (Picking a stray ball up and dropping at my feet, Pro V 1x as well, even has good taste!). All I can say is Aberdovey is firmly on the itinerary for next year, I just can’t wait to play this course in better weather conditions. Thanks for the experience Aberdovey, see you next year. The only surprise regarding this course is it only being voted 5th best in Wales??
October 16, 2008

See other reviews from this reviewer
We played 18 holes here at the end of September in 40mph wind to start with and it was an absolute delight.The clubhouse is awesome, they've had some lottery funding and it has been spent very well. The pro shop is decent as well.The thing I loved about this course was that it is fair, yes the wind was up when we played which made the first few holes difficult but the greens were fantastic and there is good run on the fairways.It is a classic dune links, straight out and back, dunes on your left, a railway line and Snowdonia to your right as you play out.Great course, definately going back next year.
October 14, 2008

See other reviews from this reviewer
Each May we make our pilgrimage to Aberdovey. It always provides great links golf, the hospitality is excellent, and the scenary magnificent. It doesn't impress the golf snobs as much as Harlech, but you'll have more fun!
August 03, 2008