Blackmoor - Hampshire - England

GU35 9EH,

• Simon Burton

• Harry Colt

• Stephen Clay

Blackmoor Golf Club is sandwiched between the North and South Downs at the western end of the glorious sand belt, which cuts swathe through Surrey, Berkshire and Hampshire. The course lies on a picturesque tract of purple heathland, from which the club takes its name.

Harry Colt originally laid out Blackmoor as a 12-hole course and it opened for play in 1913. The outbreak of the Great War prevented the expansion to 18 holes until 1924. "I am told on good authority and fully believe that I ought to bracket with Liphook and Pulborough another course," wrote Bernard Darwin in Golf Between Two Wars, "a creation of Mr Colt’s, at Blackmoor, not far from Bordon, in Hampshire, but here is one of the sad gaps in my education. I have always been going to see Blackmoor but never have." Darwin had nothing to be ashamed about, because even today, Blackmoor is not as well known as it should be.

Did you know that Charles Swann started his round dramatically in October 1929 at Blackmoor Golf Club when his opening drive landed in the chimney of an adjacent house? The owners were somewhat surprised when the ball rattled down the chimney before plopping onto their burning fire.
The layout is configured in two loops, with the outward nine being the outer loop. Five par threes and only two par fives against a par of 69, ensures that Blackmoor belies its meagre 6,164 yards. Blackmoor is regularly used for Regional Open Championship Qualifying and the flagship annual amateur event, the Selborne Salver, has produced some notable winners, including Peter McEvoy, Gary Wolstenholme and Ross Fisher.

Blackmoor is a truly delightful course, with spinneys of birch and fir and wonderfully sandy ground. It’s a secret jewel for the golf course cognoscenti if ever there was one.

Reviews for Blackmoor

Description: Blackmoor Golf Club is sandwiched between the North and South Downs at the western end of the glorious sand belt, which cuts swathe through Surrey, Berkshire and Hampshire. Rating: 4.7727272727273 out of 6

The first rule at Blackmoor should be to keep your driver in the bag. Blackmoor is a very compact course and not overly long, proving to be quite tight and strategic from the tee. As others have said before me, work on your fade before coming to play the course as the left to right shot is the predominant shape you’ll need to hit.

Blackmoor Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The 18 holes are squeezed into quite a small parcel of land and there are a good number of sneaky water hazards to catch you unaware. Little streams and ponds are dotted here and there and are often out of sight until you approach your ball.

Being only a par 69, you’re made to work for your birdies and it’s those five one-shotters that present some of the most interesting challenges on the course, all of which have partial or full plateau greens. Of the remaining holes, whilst many point out the 10th as being one of their favourites which is no doubt one of the better holes, I preferred the following hole, the dogleg 11th which demands you to hit through a narrow channel between the trees. The earlier 5th hole is also one of the more memorable holes and another of those left to right doglegs. Other than the stream that runs across the centre of the fairway which forces you to hit a long second shot into the green, its other distinguishing feature is the lack of bunkers. Instead the green is surrounded by raised heather topped banks akin to the green surrounds found at Royal Ashdown Forest.

I’d prefer not to end my review on a sour note, but I must put one black mark against the course for the fact that it includes one of my pet hates - inner course out of bounds across quite a few holes. Whilst most of them only apply in one direction and punish nothing but the worst of shots, for me it’s always been a lazy way of toughening up a golf course. Notwithstanding this, overall the course provides a pleasant journey through heathland terrain and whilst no doubt one of the better courses in the area, falls short of being the county’s elite heathland course. That accolade rightly remains at nearby Liphook.

July 01, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Having played Blackmoor on a fair few occasions, I find myself slightly agnostic as to whether I'm keen to return again in future.

The course is pretty good in parts and it starts with a picturesque opening hole. Sadly though there are many holes that are forgettable and in design terms, require some investment and changes.

The course is flat in parts and this detracts from it's playability. It's easy to switch off at various points, but you're often switched back on when you hit the better holes, 10, 18 being stand-out examples.

Granted at £35 it is value for money, but there is a reason it doesn't compare to its neighbours, Liphook, Hankley, Hindhead - It's just not quite as good.

June 12, 2017

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not

I played Blackmoor on a beautiful evening, paid just £35 for a twilight green-fee and had virtually the entire property all to myself.

I drove away in disbelief wondering why people weren’t queuing up to play this fabulous golf course situated just minutes off the A3 in Hampshire. Maybe I’ve missed something but I’m fairly certain I haven’t!

Very little has been written about this joyous heathland course which boasts several high quality green complexes and a set of par three’s that are nothing short of sensational. Add in to the equation that a number of tee shots give you several options and here I think you have a course that seriously belies its reputation.

OK, so Blackmoor isn’t exactly off the radar but it is rarely spoken about in the same high regard as many of the more notable Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire and Dorset courses and I genuinely believe it more than holds its own against most of these. Indeed I played it on the same day as nearby Liphook and although my opinion may go against the grain I thought it was significantly the better, more interesting, strategic and challenging course. I’d go as far as saying it should be a shoe-in for the Top 100 rankings of Great Britain and Ireland.

What makes it so good? Firstly, on the majority of drives you are presented with choices and often asked to work the ball to a particular position or side of the fairway, most of which are lined by glorious heather, pine, birch and oak trees. Blackmoor is a thinking person’s course and even though it plays to a maximum of 6,164 yards I suspect its par of 69 is rarely bettered…

So there you have it. A glowing appraisal of a golf course I expected to be good but massively over-delivered on that. Sometimes you visit a course for the first time and on subsequent plays it goes down in your estimation whilst other times the opposite happens. Pleasingly I think Blackmoor could well be the latter because when I played here I got paired up with a new member who says he is still learning new things about the course and it gets better and better each time.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

June 06, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Blackmoor is a course that ruined my game for two years. Having arrived here as a competent 12 handicap after playing Blackmoor I quickly realised that I would never get down to single figures if I could not hit both straight drives and left to right fades (at the time I had only a strong draw/hook and only one hole really favours this flight!).

This course is a joy from start to finish and I personally think that hole 10 is the best hole in Hampshire, a strong par 4 rising gradually uphill to a green in the distance. When you play here you are really in an area of great beauty and quiet and you will not be disappointed with the layout.

May 10, 2017

James
May 17, 2017

"You can talk to slice but a hook wont listen" Lee Trevino. I'm certain Harry Colt played a cut. He certainly was not a sheep in a former life. Apparently they once fed some sheep into a maze; 68% turned left first time and of the ones that took a first turn to the right, all of them, without fail, then took the next left.

A delightful day and course. Not long, but it's tight. Keep it straight and you'll be rewarded, although I'd challenge even the best putters to avoid a three-putt here. The greens were in magnificent condition, quick, and rolling out without a kink - no excuses! Full of subtle (and not so subtle) borrows. Very important to leave yourself the right side of the hole.

Some great holes, particularly the par 3's, including an absolute brute at 15 (200 yds with an upturned saucer green, deep bunkers either side). Lots of heather to contend with, a fair bit of OOB too.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend a trip here. Pretty good value for visitors, and the course is in terrific shape. A fair test, and most importantly, fun!

May 27, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer

Not easy to write a review of Blackmoor. Truth is, it's a good course but not a great course. Positively it has a number of holes that would befit many of Surrey heathlands best, the 1st, 10th and 18th are stand outs. On the flip side, there are a few weak holes, the 2nd, 5th, and 7th. A course that favours short hitters at just over 6000y and with only 2 par 5s there are limited opportunities for the power players to let it rip. Greens are generally very good. Practice facilities are extremely poor, as is the club house food offering. Saying that it's a fun course to play.

April 21, 2016

0 people found this review helpful and 7 did not
James
July 08, 2016
Ok, so I see you have only done one review ever so I will go easy on you as maybe you are a beginner? The members and frequent guests of this course quite rightly think it is under rated. The more you play it the better it becomes. However for the first time visitor it is a fairly honest test although the subtleties are endless. The 1st, 10th and 18th are indeed as good as anywhere and the 2nd is no ones favourite I admit however the 5th is much loved. A mercurial challenge evocative of the best of Royal Ashdown or Berkhamsted. The Green Complex at the 7th is awesome although the new bunker reduction is a bit clumsy and does not sit well on the landscape to my eye. We have a 400 yard practice area and I am informed the Ball machine is on its way. The short game are is first class. There are plenty of opportunitires for you to let rip but you had better be straight. 1,3,4,7,8,10,11,13,14,16,18, The bets thing is you have a genuine choice from all of these tees as to how to play and often when the course often holds Major County and national events time and again it is interesting to see how differently players route their ball or perceive the hole. This club is on the front foot and getting better by the minute. Visit you will love it. Mens open end of August. Make the trip people! JCBL

I played here mid November 2015 and really enjoyed the course. We started on the 10th due which does not make this an easy start to a course. There is a lovely feel to the whole place with my favorite holes being 3, 10, 11, 15 and 18. To top this it all off it was £30 to play as visitors, you would struggle to find better value for money anywhere.
November 20, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
I played in the Blackmoor Open in August, and I have to say, I prefer this course to Liphook which I have also played. I cannot think of a course that has a better routing than this on such a tiny piece of land. It really does keep you interested from start to finish. The condition of the course was excellent. The design also feels more modern than its 100+ years suggest; the green complexes are vast and remind me of a large stadium course. Some of these must have required quite some earth moving in days when machinery was not available. A great course not to be missed if you are in the area.
October 03, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
The second stop on our Hampshire/ Surrey border tour brings us to Blackmoor, the others being Hindhead, Hankley Common and Liphook. On balance these courses offer the best value/quality ratio in the whole of the British Isles for a golf tour and if you throw in a bonus trip to Hayling for a spot of Links Golf you have the makings of the best Golf trip money can buy in these Isles. Make no mistake. This is a players Course this and the members are passionate about the game as a sport. Bring your accuracy and strategic best and you will enjoy this place immensely. There are real choices to be made on virtually every tee. You can play these holes all sorts of ways. Since joining as a member this March, the course hBlackmoor Golf Course - Photo by revieweras grown on me even though I have played here for over twenty years. You can appreciate this course for it aesthetics from most of the tees but only once you have walked off the 18th green will you appreciate the challenge you have just met. Some of the other courses mentioned as part of this tour will beguile you with even prettier vistors but none will best Blackmoor as a fair and relentless examination of Golf that is inviting to tackle and in places will test your nerve and resolve to the limit, especially if you have a score going. Can you stand on the tenth tee with absolute confidence you will hit the fairway that snakes to the right revealing a classic colt green complex rising elegantly before you? Can you summon the determination and skill on the 16th tee to hit that Precipitous looking promontory of a green 200 yards away? These are but two of the questions you will be asked. Every hole, every shot is appealing and enticing here. A fair reward for your shot, good or bad, can be expected. The green complexes are a particular delight and the pretty par 3’s and 4’s will test your iron play thoroughly. Rewards await on the two par fives but the consequence of inaccuracy can be fatal. The infinite subtlety of this course is enchanting. The others are also a great day visit but here is the one you want to play every week. It is in the best condition for a generation they say and so far I can’t argue. The only change I would make is to the 2nd, I’d raise the tee and put in a colt like Green complex with a false front and a couple of bunkers. JCB LAY
July 27, 2015

Michael Cave
November 12, 2015
Thank you for your comments. I have played here for over 50 years and I still relish the challenge! I'm also biased!!
This courses was one of my favourite on our Bournemouth trip, a short course maybe but it certainly made my playing partners think about their club selection off the tee. A few dog legs which suited me, so you had to plot your way round on the correct side of the fairway. Good use of cross-bunkering with typical Colt flair and some lovely raised meandering greens. There were so many holes to enjoy that I struggle to remember the all – the 8th was excellent and 9th with a host of bunkers around just waiting for the slightest off line shot, followed on with the 9th a good drive and a sloping green which shouts out to you “don’t be short”, Who can forget the 18 th where everyone on the clubhouse veranda can watch your approach shot roll back to your feet. The pro was excellent who gave a new electric trolley to my playing partner to use (free) who had forgotten to charge his own up. Also the members were great in the bar and on the course – a great club with the right attitude to golf and visitors. I hope Broadstone is reading this review.P Barron 22/7/15
July 26, 2015