Carrick - Dunbartonshire - Scotland

• Not known

• Doug Carrick

• Ross Whitfield

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Carrick

Former owners, the De Vere Group, introduced the Carrick course to its golf facilities at Cameron House back in the summer of 2007, adding the 18-hole championship standard layout to the existing 9-hole “Wee Demon” layout.

The name of golf course architect Doug Carrick may be largely unheard of outside his native Canada – where he has designed and remodelled over fifty courses such as King Valley, Angus Glen, Cobble Beach and Eagles Nest – but De Vere not only had the good sense to commission him to design his first UK course at Loch Lomond, they decided to name it after him too!

The location of the Carrick is unique as the front nine holes are played over relatively flat, open land at the boundary of the Lowlands in Scotland and the back nine are routed over higher ground in the Scottish Highlands before returning to the clubhouse by the loch side.

The course has a somewhat North American feel to it on three of the opening four holes where water runs down the length of these fairways. Two of the next four holes are testing par fives – the latter has no fewer than 15 bunkers along its length – before the 9th hole rises back to the clubhouse to complete the outward half.

The surprising and delightful elevation change continues at the appropriately named “High Road” 10th hole with some marvellous views of Loch Lomond to the east and Ben Lomond to the north. There is an even better photo opportunity of the loch to be had from the elevated tee 60 feet above the signature hole on the card, the 199-yard, par three, 14th called “Tappet Doon” on the most northerly point of the property.

Back down to ground level again, the next three holes run along the water’s edge, though it never comes into play. Four holiday apartments overlook the loch to the right of the 15th fairway and the magnificent Colquhoun Mansion House apartments are situated to the right of the 16th green. The 422-yard “Carrick Hame” closing hole doglegs right to the clubhouse where a refreshing glass of something cold and wet awaits in the Claret Jug bar.

Reviews for Carrick

Description: Former owners, the De Vere Group, introduced the Carrick course to its golf facilities at Cameron House back in the summer of 2007, adding the 18-hole course to the existing 9-hole “Wee Demon” layout. Rating: 3.7826086956522 out of 6

Loch Lomond is an outstanding area of natural beauty and well deserving of a visit with or without the golf bag, and whilst I’d loved to have taken myself to the “real” Loch Lomond golf club, the Carrick makes a suitable deputy.

Carrick Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Make no mistake, the Carrick is set up for visitor golf. Opened in 2007, it has more than a whiff of “resort course” about it, particularly the clubhouse which doubles as a multi-floor spa (highly recommended though) with balcony level hot tub views over the 18th green.

If it’s resort course golf you’re expecting, that’s exactly what you get for the opening stretch. The first four holes are played around an inland lake, complete with fountain, to greens that were heavily indented with pitch marks at my time of playing. Played across lower ground where the course architecture is far from my own personal tastes, the holes are at least well bunkered, a theme that continues across the rest of the course.

Carrick Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Following this, the layout starts to take up some of the more prime land with the 5th hole being the first that’s played alongside the loch, but it’s not until the 8th hole, as you edge away from the loch and move towards higher ground, that the genuine reason to come and play the Carrick becomes more apparent. This stretch from 8 through to 14 offer a real contrast to what came before. The 8th, probably the best bunkered hole on the course returns you towards those wonderful rolling hills that frame much of the course. A draw off the tee is the play here or you’ll no doubt have to play from the sand for your next shot. A short walk then takes you to the uphill 9th. This and the wonderful 10th are the holes that really stole the show for me. The views from the 10th green are magnificent and must be amongst the best in Scotland. Be sure to also stop by the half-way house, created from a boat sunken into the ground next to the 10th tee. This boat used to belong to the Cameron House Hotel for day trips around Loch Lomond and they retired it to this fine spot.

Carrick Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Whilst 9 and 10 are pure theatre, I don’t have quite the same love for 11 and 12 which are a little bland in comparison, but the 13th right to left dogleg par 4 with a green nestled amongst the firs is a beautiful hole. Following this comes the signature hole, a par 3 with a dramatic drop towards Loch Lomond. Signature hole it may be, but I don’t feel that the angle of this hole, playing towards the trees rather than the water, makes the most of its surroundings. The 15th, the second par 5 to take you right along the loch-side is a lovely hole, but again, there seems to have been an opportunity missed by not adding an infinity green over the loch. The remaining few holes return back to the less interesting lakeside land as you head back to the clubhouse and the Florida-esque lake holes.

One aspect I must point out after playing the course is that this place is far from easy. My scorecard showed that I was well above handicap and I usually pride myself in scoring pretty well when playing courses away from my own. Play off the whites, or further back even, and your game will be severely tested. In summary, this is a course that’s made up of three parts; the unremarkable inland lake holes, the handful of holes by the loch side and the finer section that climbs across the higher ground all make for an interesting and varied day’s play. The course conditioning is never going to be up to the level of a top private members’ club, but it’s well worth playing if you’re in this neck of the woods for those holes that are routed away from the clubhouse.

August 16, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played the Carrick in early October. This was my third round, the first two shortly after it opened. It has matured nicely yet still has a way to go. Boggy in parts and conditioning could be better, even allowing for the wet months before. The greens were slow and a little bumpy. Main problem was too many players on the course, far too slow, and lack of proper marshalling. A five hour round mid week disheartening. With regards ranking just about right. Some of the other reviews were of a course and set up I didn't recognise!
January 30, 2016

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Played the Carrick golf course in early October as part of a small golf party and I must say it exceeded my expectations. Soon as we arrived the service provided from the golf shop guys were 2nd to none. (Including Gleneagles!) We hadn’t paid that much to be there but the staff were treating us like royalty. Soon as we arrived our bags were taken and put on buggies and trolleys while we had breakfast in the restaurant. I then got shown to my locker by the professional which had a tag with my name on it. Great touch!Then the starter gave us all complimentary tees, ball marker and pitchfork repairer so it was a great start before even hitting a ball.The Course started pretty tough and makes for a challenging front 9 with the 3rd and 4th hole both involve hitting your shot over water. The back 9 is definitely the more scenic and when we got to the 10th green the view of Loch Lomond was just stunning. This can also be seen from the Par 3 14th hole which you play your shot to the green about 50 feet below!! I played 2 clubs less than usual and was still over the green.The greens at the Carrick are big and quick, I really was surprised by how fast the greens were at that time of year. The course was soft in places which made it easier to hold the greens; I even managed to get a bit of backspin!Overall I can’t rate the Carrick highly enough and look forward to doing battle on the course again.
January 29, 2016

4 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
having played this course yearly since 2012 I have seen it come on leaps and bounds year on year! towards the end of the 2015 season me and 3 friends played the course and we could not believe the condition that the course was in, the greens rolled true and fast!moving away from the course the staff are also a huge credit to the carrick I have not been to a golf course anywhere in Scotland that has better service.overall I would recommend this course to anyone!!first class experience!! :)
January 06, 2016

3 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
I believe this course is much further down on this list than it should be. Having played it for a few years now, the condition of the course has improved markedly. The greens have been excellent all summer, as have the fairways. I agree that playing here after a spell of heavy rain can be a bit of a slog, however the same could be said of most inland courses. The layout of the holes, the views and general all round experience of playing here make it a very enjoyable (although exceptionally tough off the whites) golf course. I agree that it falls short of the truly exceptional championship courses I have played, however it deserves a top 20/30 position in this list.
July 31, 2014

3 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
As a member I rate this course highly in terms of design, challenge and condition. It has improved a lot since I joined 18 months ago and does not appear so overplayed as it was. The staff are friendly, as the other members are and the facilities excellent. The main downside is the slow play which I think is a problem at most courses now, so nothing to do with the course or the club! It is worsened by the number of 4 balls palying and the fact that they all seem to think they are playing in the Masters. Taking 10 minutes on the green to miss putts for a 7 is not really what the game is about. I do rate the course highly though but would enjoy a 3.5 hour round instead of 4.5 or 5 hours!
April 19, 2013

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
The Carrick’s come in for some recent criticism regarding underfoot conditions on the course and there’s no doubt that the club still has some way to go before it resolves all outstanding drainage issues. Sorting out the soggy fairways will take some time but the damp conditions certainly didn’t appear to deter the large numbers from playing here when Carrick Golf Course - Photo by reviewerI revisited the Carrick a couple of days ago. Perhaps the members are prepared to put up with less than perfect tee to green conditioning when they know they are putting on eighteen fantastic USGA-standard greens (that were in absolutely tip-top shape when I played) or maybe they´re just willing to give the maintenance team the chance to implement a raft of improvement proposals? I was also very pleased to see that all bunkers on the course have undergone an extensive makeover, with aesthetically pleasing grass banks now covering the ugly old faces of the old sand traps. It’s obvious that a lot of recent work has gone in to upgrade the infrastructure at the Carrick but the course is still very much a work in progress. Having opened only a few years ago in a blaze of local golfing publicity, it’s now settling into the harsh reality of normal operations and it’ll take a little more time and effort to get things right, especially on a site that seems to endure more than its fair share of inclement weather. Once current course improvement programs are completed, there’s a fair chance the Carrick will be able to fulfil its true potential. Jim McCann
October 09, 2012

See other reviews from this reviewer
I have now played this course 5 times over last 3 years and have to say ive always enjoyed the rounds. Its seems to be a course that bring out very different reactions from those that play it. Having played 25 courses in top 100 I personally think it should be rated higher. Ive no doubt as it ages and beds in as a course it will slowly rise up the list. It has a strong start with plenty of water in play not unlike a lot of european courses. These opening holes could be a score card wrecker. There are not many if any weak holes and the scenery especially from the 10th green is stunning. Again a strong finish with the last 3 holes bringing water into play.
July 08, 2012

See other reviews from this reviewer
I am amazed that this golf course is this low down on the ranking list. It is easily in the top 5 best inland courses in Scotland. Only Gleneagles, Loch Lomond & Spey Valley could be argued as a better inland course. The facilities are also superb!!As shown by recent comments the condition of the course has improved a lot this year with much better drainage.I call on Mr McCann and fellow colleagues to review this course because it doesn't make any sense that Boat of Garten is 21 places better than the Carrick.

Hugh
July 01, 2012
It's always nice to read an unbiased review from a member and refreshing that the member didn't rate the course 6 balls!
Niall
July 01, 2012
I’d say the Rosemount is clearly a better inland Scottish course, as is the Duke’s at St Andrews, Ladybank and Downfield. I’d rather play The Boat once a year than the Carrick every month, but it’s all about opinion.
PGS
September 06, 2012
I agree the Dukes is now a fabulous course....but how much money has been thrown at it since it opened to get it in the condition it is in today - I played it a few years after it opened and it was a bog - the Carrick do not have that kind of cash just now but have a great green keeper who is getting on with it - The West Coast also does not have the drier and milder east coast winters either - if you could turn the clock back and look at other course that I agree are also great, what do you think they would have been like after their first 5 years after completuion, 2 of which were the coldest we have had and now the wettest summer and with about 180 people playing most days? - I played the course yesterday and it was in great condition considering all the rain this summer. Also it is funny how some people view things - played a local Glasgow course which is over 100 years old which had the memeber applogizing every hole for how wet it was, the small lakes, the terrible greens and in the worse condition he had ever seen in 50 years (his words not mine)and then he says "I hear the Carrick is wet" hmmmmmm
I have been playing this course now since 2007 and the round I played last night confirmed that all the drainage work, the new bunkering and the introduction on a new green keeper has transformed the course and it is currently in amazing condition. For those that find the course wet in the winter it should be pointed out that the water board keep Loch Lomond water levels very high to avoid a drought in the summer and if it rains lots the water cannot go anywhere and stays on the course - if it is a normal winter the course plays well - remember it is a new parkland course so don't expect it to be The Old Course but it is getting better all the time and there do not seem to be so many slow players anymore either - maybe all the negative comments have put them off and only better players are going down and replacing divots and repairing their pitch marks as this has improved a heck of a lot as well - if you have not been down for a while you will not beleive how much better it is! Remember to enjoy the views as well which are pretty hard to beat!
June 21, 2012

Jim Brown
June 26, 2012
Hi Thank you for your kind review of The Carrick and comments regarding the work undertaken during the past 12 – 18 months. Having now been involved directly with The Carrick for four months now, it is very much appreciated when people take the time to write reviews whether positive or with a constructive appraisal.

We have invested a huge amount of resources, effort and experience into the fine turf surfaces during this spring/summer, and whilst it was frustrating during the cold spring start, we are now starting to witness the fruits of our labour. With an early focus and completion of the on course projects and the completion of the bunker re-furbishment, our time has very much been spent on improving Greens, Tee’s & fairways, both quality and presentation – all of which has come to life in the last six weeks.

At five years old, The Carrick is still young (in golf course terms), and with the historical drainage issues, the golf course has struggled to produce good surfaces during prolonged poor weather. The recent drainage improvements you comment on are dealing magnificently with the west coast weather, and whilst we still have much to do, the golf course has a much improved ability to deal with heavy rainfall, no better witnessed than after this last weekend’s deluge. As suggested, we are planning on installing more drainage to the golf course. Whilst the recent drainage improvements were quite aggressive, the new drainage improvements will be much less so; these introduced into semi-roughs and in place to cut water run off at the source. As witnessed on many high profile TV tournament golf courses, we may never be able to deal with torrential heavy rainfall, but we can improve the golf course’s ability to recover quickly – it is this recovery we are committed to improving.

I am personally delighted with the way The Carrick Golf Course and the team at the Carrick have responded during the past four months, and we very much look forward to delivering on our commitments; that of delivering the best possible experience for our members and visitors, and of course producing another outstanding golf course in this wonderful part of the world (with spectacular views). Recent positive feedback from our members, golf societies and of course your kind words are always welcome, and I would like to thank you for endorsing my own thoughts in that, we are very much on the right path – Thank you. Kind Regards Jim Brown Golf Course Manager The Carrick on Loch Lomond