Conwy - North Wales - Wales

• Chris Chance

• Jack Harris and Frank Pennink

• Andrew Blake

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Conwy

While circumstances beyond its control have lead to historical changes to this North Wales championship links, Conwy's 6,901 yards have proved an awesome challenge in the winds of the Caernarvonshire coastline.

A few facts about Conwy Golf Club

Conwy won the Welsh Golf Club of the Year award for 2007.

Conwy staged the Ryder Cup Wales Seniors Open in June 2007. England’s Carl Mason captured his 15th European Seniors Tour title in four years.

In 2009 Conwy hosted the European Amateur Team Championship, which saw Scotland hold on to beat England in the final.

Conwy was the first Welsh Golf Club to host Open Championship Local Final Qualifying ahead of the 2006 Open at Royal Liverpool. Only three qualifiers managed under par scores: Jon Bevan, Mikko Ilonen and Warren Bladon.

Golf began in this area in 1869, the original designer being Jack Harris. Two World Wars had a profound effect on the Morfa Peninsula and the Course was almost lost after the First World War. Stabilisation was only achieved against sand-blow by the planting of huge areas of marram grass on what are now the 7th, 8th and 9th. Further changes resulted from the building of a tunnel over the Estuary to ease the traffic problems on the road between Chester and Anglesey.

By common assent, its chequered history does not detract from the quality of this challenging links whose current layout is the result of the final alterations by Frank Pennink.

Conwy Golf Club has played host to a number of major tournaments, including the Martini in 1970, when Peter Thomson and Doug Sewell tied on 268, a score attributable to the dry windless conditions which prevailed that week. The Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship was won at Conwy by Belle Robertson in 1983 and the Home Internationals were staged here in 1990.

Conwy is fairly flat but still has sufficient variety to avoid the charge of monotonous which has been laid at the door of lesser links. Its seaside character is apparent from the start, the second a par three nestling in the dunes, the 3rd curving along the shoreline, followed by holes running parallel to each other to the turn. Going out, there are four par fours measuring more than 400 yards, three of which are more than 450 yards long.

The 10th returns to the Clubhouse, one of three par fives in the next five holes, and the presence of the bay and the mountains and the Great Orme above Llandudno ensures the golfer can enjoy the surroundings whilst being tested to the full.

Douglas Adams prints of the rugged Welsh coastline adorn many clubhouse walls. That coastline is the classic links course of Conwy.

Reviews for Conwy

Description: Conwy Golf Club has played host to a number of major tournaments, including the Martini in 1970, when Peter Thomson and Doug Sewell tied on 268... Rating: 4.9666666666667 out of 6

What a great course. A very nice classic links course. No 3 in North Wales is exactly the right position. Front 9 is slightly more open and back 9 is an exam. Highly recommended.

Bar staff could be friendlier though pro shop was great.

June 04, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

It mixes challenge with charm to produce an exhilarating links golfing experience. It stands head and shoulders above anything else on this stretch of coastline and it is very easy to see why it’s such a popular repeat venue for many golfers.

Easily accessible from major North-West cities such as Manchester and Liverpool I suspect many inland golf club members will head here for high quality golf 12 months of the year.

At Conwy, officially founded in 1890 but with play dating back to 1869, you can expect all the thrills and spills associated with links golf including uneven stances and unpredictable bounces but here there is an undeniable fairness to it all. Everything is laid out in front of you, nothing is hidden; you get what you deserve. And that is probably why this respected links has hosted so many notable championships for professionals and elite amateurs. The course is as honest as the day is long.

There doesn’t come anything close to a poor hole at Conwy. Sure, there are holes that are relatively weaker than the others but the real strength of the course lies in its strength in depth, its consistency. Holes such as the sixth and 17th are a couple of holes that didn’t set my personal pulse racing but they are far from inferior.

Overall Conwy is quite a flat course, there are very few major changes in elevation, but there are enough undulations on the fairways and around the greens to maintain a high level of interest and keep you on your toes. Conwy doesn’t have the quirk-factor that some links enthusiast seek rather the joy of this course is its persistent and consistent challenge.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

May 19, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

I am lucky enough to play Conwy quite frequently and after a "super Sunday" felt it was time to plug it to the masses !

Superb location, and a course that plays very differently when the wind shifts. Great views, very playable (apart from 16 & 17 which - unless you are dead straight - jump up to bite you especially when you are on a good card !) and enjoyable. Well worth a visit if you havent already played here. Too many good holes to pick out one and it depends on the wind direction as to which are best.

October 14, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer

It's interesting to see the range of reviews for Conwy, most of which I think err too much in either direction. We played as a Society on a lovely sunny day and all enjoyed it, not just the links lovers. The turf was firm and free running, plenty of good holes and punitive bunkers (I had my only ever swish-swish red mist episode in one particularly well placed one - as Bernard Darwin's said of the pot bunkers at St Andrews; “just enough room for an angry man and his niblick”.) and some nice views. A friendly place to play golf, that as with much of Wales golf would be better known and more expensive elsewhere; recommended.

July 31, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer
If it weren't for the 17 & 18th, this course would be a standout. The finishing holes are very disappointing, losing all the charm of links golf. However, the first 16 are excellent examples of links golf and this course is well worth the visit, especially as the price is a lot less than most. The township of Conwy with its ancient castle is another reason to visit.
September 13, 2015

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Chris
September 15, 2015
Describing the 17th at Conwy as "very disappointing" has led me to comment on this site for the first time. I'm amazed. It is a fabulous hole, completely in keeping with links golf, gorse everywhere, and a total card wrecker playing into the wind. I've played Royal Birkdale, Formby, Hillside, S & A, Turnberry, Hoylake, Harlech, Nairn, Royal County Down and others. It's a miles better hole than 17th at Royal County Down (which has a pond in the middle of the fairway). And I'm not a member!
Played Conwy on a quiet Easter Sunday on a trip to North Wales. I'd played some 7 or 8 years ago and little has changed since then, which means that the high quality of the layout and conditioning remains. The greens were a little slow compared with others I've played recently but the flags were set in testing positions so that's probably just as well. As mentioned by others, the bunkers can get quite water-logged and several were G.U.R but that didn't detract from the round. The pretty par 3, 13th also is susceptible to sand blown in from the nearby beach which restricts some of the possible pin positions.Another slightly unusual feature is to have the 4 par 5 holes within a series of 6 (9th to 14th) in the middle of the round. They run in different directions so there should be at least one downwind to have a crack at.The overall impression I have is a links course which slowly but surely toughens up as you approach the end. It seems that the areas of gorse and heather get thicker and closer to the fairways, especially for the last 3 par 4's which means you have to concentrate all the way to the finish to leave with a good score. The views (when the fog doesn't roll in!) are very attractive with the sea on one side and the mountains on the other and it remains a very classy links course and, in my opinion the best track in Wales that's North of Royal St.Davids. Rich de D.
April 07, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
I have this site to thank for my visit here. And a lovely visit it was at the start of March 2014. The area had taken a real soaking over the previous months hence a few of the bunkers were underwater but considering this the course was in pretty good condition. Wonderful scenic holes, a few bland but mainly great fun with the course gradually tightening up towards the end. Recommended.
March 08, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
After reading all the recent reviews of Conwy I am left wondering whether I have played the right course. If this is the 6th best course in Wales I am not sure I will bother visiting the ones below it. I will say that I didn't have the best knock I've ever had but I thought this course was only average. My playing partner and I could not get over how scabby the fairways and the tee boxes were with what looked like a few weeks worth of un-tended divot marks. I also thought the first 9 was dare I say it...... A bit boring. I did think that the back 9 were much better looked after and much more interesting. I have been spoilt recently playing both Carnoustie and Trump but have also played the likes of Silloth and Stonehaven and really don't think that Conwy comes close, perhaps we had been spoilt by playing Delamere Forest the day before I don't know. I do not wish to offend but will not be rushing back to this very average course the only thing going for it were the greens which were very good condition and the sandwiches after the round.
August 11, 2013

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Andy
August 12, 2013
Really can't understand the 'boring' and 'average' comments - This is a decent course - the par-3 2nd and the par-3 13th alone are top class holes...
Mark
August 12, 2013
I agree Andy, they were nice looking holes but as for finding somewhere to put your tee on the box was a different matter, my playing partner wondered whether the grounds staff had been sacked the week before! Unless this course just does get that much hammer over a weekend. I know its not over the top at £55 but I have played much better for less. Not out to offend it's just my opinion.
Derek
August 13, 2013
I played Conwy in July and a few weeks later, whilst watching the Open on TV, I was interested to here Peter Alliss extolling the virtues of some national veteran golfers society who meet at a variety of courses throughout the year. PA described the courses as "excellent" or "wonderful" and he provided a short list...Conwy was the first one he mentioned. Clearly he likes it!! Three balls is a surprising appraisal.
I was responsible for organising this year’s family holiday and with the kids in mind I plumped for Conwy for its castle, the chance to do some “crabbing” off the jetty and its liberal sprinkle of ice cream parlours. Imagine my surprise (shock even!) when it turns out that Conwy is home to a really rather spiffing links course AND the club offers twilight green fees at £21 AND I just happened to have the clubs in the boot. Spooky really! The course and setting are beautiful, there are oodles of good, challenging holes and the condition is very good indeed (although the perfectly true greens were a little slower than I might have predicted). I can’t award six balls because, for me, the almost complete lack of elevation and the absence of humps and hollows detracts a wee bit from the “drama” of the links and, quite surprisingly, almost all of the greens are really rather flat. I am aware as I write this that I am beginning to sound critical so I’ll be absolutely clear – I loved it! Thanks to 2 for 1 offers, “twilights” and other competitive offers I’ve had the good fortune to play some cracking courses in the last year or two at very affordable prices (eg Forfar, Goswick, Letham Grange, Spey Bay) but at £21 for a twilight time Conwy is off-the-scale for value for money…and my wife and kids never even noticed I had gone! Derek, Edinburgh, July 2013.
July 08, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
As a frequent player at Conwy, in my opinion the course isn't as manicured as Royal St Davids for example, although Conwy is still one of the best kept courses in North Wales of which is reflected in the frequent amount of tour competitions being played there, the European Seniors Tour for example. Despite the condition not being as well kept as Royal St Davids, in my opinion Conwy offers a more enjoyable round, induced by spectacular views and some interesting holes, especially the closing few holes. The club house and practice facilities are also very good, especially for the membership prices.
May 03, 2013