Craigielaw - Lothians - Scotland

Aberlady,
East Lothian,
EH32 0PY,

• ½ mile W of Aberlady off the A198

• Welcome, with some restrictions at weekends

• Derek Scott

• Tom Mackenzie

• Jonathan Porteous

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Craigielaw

The East Lothian coastline is blessed with a fine stretch of top ranked links courses from Musselburgh right along the coast to Dunbar, with the heaviest concentration in the few miles from Aberlady to Gullane. Before 2001, there were no fewer than six courses between the two villages – Kilspindie, Luffness New, Gullane (Nos. 1, 2 and 3) and Muirfield – so the opening of Craigielaw Golf Club in that year may have surprised some who felt there already was a more than adequate provision of golf courses in the area.

Nothing could be further from the truth, of course, in a country where golf is a national passion and Craigielaw – owned and run by Wemyss & March Estates on whose land the nearby Longniddry course is laid out – has been a very welcome modern addition to the historic links in the locality. In fact, the course at Craigielaw has blended so well into the landscape, you would be hard pressed to know that it was anything less than a century old.

The rough, though light and wispy in places, can be tough and strategically placed bunkers, both fairway and greenside, provide a formidable set of obstacles on many holes. The greens are firm, hard to hold and often wickedly undulating but always fast and true. Incorporate some meandering burns and some ancient stone dykes into the design and you have a layout to find favour with the most hard-to-please golf purist; full of character, true to links traditions and presenting as strong an examination as any in the area.

Measuring 6,601 yards with a par of 71, the inward half is nearly four hundred yards longer than the front nine with a very strong string of holes starting from the downhill, 540-yard, par five, 11th named “Quarry Park” and ending at the 467-yard, long par four, 16th entitled “Kirk Park.” If anything near the combined par of 25 for these six holes is scored then a very good round must have ensued!

Situated less than half a mile west of Aberlady, Craigielaw is routed over gently undulating land to the south of the Kilspindie course which lies on the banks of the Firth of Forth. It boasts an ultra modern clubhouse with panoramic views across the water to the Fife coast – don’t be surprised to find a large number of non-golfers in the lounge or courtyard as the clubhouse now plays a large part in the social fabric of the nearby village.

Reviews for Craigielaw

Description: Craigielaw Golf Club has blended so well into the landscape, you would be hard pressed to know that it was anything less than a century old. Rating: 3.85 out of 6

Given all the debate about this golf course on this website involving the greens, the turf and the surroundings of hole 10, I decided to play this course on our second trip to Scotland.

When we visited the course (May 2017), Scotland had experienced an exceptional long period of dry weather, so I was a bit afraid I would be faced with some trouble when aiming for the greens. I found the green complex design pretty good, and not much difference in 'bite' when compared with the other courses (both links & parkland) we played during this trip. So I don't really understand all the fuss about the accessibility of the greens of Craigielaw.

I liked the design of the par 3, hole 10 - I agree it is a bit quirky - but the hole has a nice design and the houses are so far away, it could hardly be of any distraction when shooting for the green. And how people can complain about the turf not being links turf, whilst the course is set next to Kilspindie, will always be a bit of a mystery to me.

But I have other concerns, and I do not recommend to play this course when visiting the Lothians. First of all, the course layout is a bit underwhelming: the design of the holes are a bit dull, except the green complexes. A bit of a let-down for a course opened in 2001. I expected more risk-reward decisions from the tee.

The second comment I like to make, is that the course is relatively short, especially on a calm day. So having ALL the white tees at the fixed blue tee markers was a very unwelcome surprise: the course is simply to short from the blue markers. It is a policy I expect on a resort course in Spain, not on a proper links course in Scotland. I'm old and wise enough to decide myself which tees suits my game. If I had been advised prior to play, I would not have spend a day at Craigielaw, but would have chosen a different golf course.

But the real let-down of this course was the overall state of maintenance. Not sure if the divots outnumbered the daisies or vice versa...

And the greens were the worst greens I have encountered during our 12 day trip: the greens had no roll, no line and no speed what so ever.

No more Craigielaw for me.

To end with a positive: at least it did not rain.

OCB

May 24, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Unsure what the fuss in the reviews below is about regarding the greens at Craigielaw. Sure they are built on higher ground but that just means it questions your ability to bump ‘n run it to the green rather than through the air. All holes had openings to do this through. If you missed laterally pin high then, OK you need to nip your lob wedge to get it to stop. Downwind, short sided, over a bunker, on a thin lie, sure you’re not going to get it close but that then tests your smarts. I thought the greens were great, interesting contours and strategically protected.

The course was well laid out. Having played Kilspindie in the morning (cold & windy the whole day) I saw the course and thought Kilspindie had the better of the land but possibly Craigielaw the more interesting features. I probably got that wrong. If you were going to pick out a composite course then K would get maybe 5 holes, C the rest.

An excellent opening hole that got me confidently aiming up what felt like left of the target (something I often don’t commit to when required in a howling cross breeze and float it miles away) due to the tee box angle compared to fairway.

There is also commentary below about the commercialisation of the course, the length etc. What? It plays a moderate 6600 from the tips which are unlikely to be the tee of the day. I played from the white tees that were usually set near the blue permanent marker which measures the course at 6043 yards. Sometimes they were a bit longer, so maybe 6200 all up – no matter how you look at it hardly a long course.

I was expecting to pay 59pds + trolley charge but given the weather (mind you, no rain just cold & windy) I was charged a total of 10pds. I was the only one on the course and had a great time.

I thought the contentious 10th hole up in the estate was a well framed hole providing an interesting backdrop. The old wall running throughout the course comes into play numerous times and was well used. The views were great, the greens had been sanded but ran true enough and the tee boxes and fairways were looking pretty good given growing season isn’t in full bloom yet. The gorse added colour and the rough was manageable and you are unlikely to lose too many balls if you have a wayward day.

Just like Kilspindie sneaking into 4 balls Craigielaw just earns 5 balls. Warren from Aust.

April 26, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Craigielaw is somewhat of the New Kid on the Block when it comes to easily accessible links golf courses in East Lothian.

Established just before the turn of the millennium there is much to praise this course for. It is certainly a challenging links with deep bunkers and upturned greens the main obstacles to a good score.

You must not only drive the ball well here but also be pin-point accurate with your approach shots. Anything just slightly offline from the tee could find a bunker where the main goal quickly becomes extraction rather than advancement. Meanwhile, should your iron shot to the green not be true and straight it is likely to find one of the many run-offs, or worse still, the bottom of one of the many steep faced bunkers. Either way you will be struggling to save par.

At several points in the round the course touches the border of neighbouring Kilspindie. Craigielaw is on the slightly higher ground and has superb views across Aberlady Bay and towards Gullane Hill but the lack of coastline deprives it of a certain charm and lovingness. It makes up for this in the challenge it presents and to a large part succeeds.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

March 20, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

There is one very simple reason for the poor ranking I have given Craigielaw - the greens. Once you are finally safely on the putting surface they are good, the ball runs true and they are a decent pace. However, the job of actually getting the ball there is unlike any other course I have played. The best way I can describe them is that it is like hitting the ball onto a concrete surface where the chances of holding the green are nigh on impossible on quite a number of holes.

Speaking as a 5-handicap golfer who plays 90% links golf I feel I have an idea of what a good links test should be. Unfortunately Craigielaw fails in that regard. Well over half of the greens are an "upturned saucer" design, invariably guarded by deep bunkers, meaning that you have little option but to carry your approach shots the whole way to the green. The aforementioned rock solid greens then ensure that you have absolutely no chance of stopping the ball and you are left with devillish "up-and-downs" on a number of occasions. The point here is that good shots are not rewarded at all and that is surely a failing of the greenkeeping staff and the course designer's failure to consider the nuances of links golf.

It is a shame as the general layout of the course is good and in decent condition (I am even willing to grudgingly accept the holes at the start of the back 9 encircled by houses) but you certainly cannot help but look across to Gullane and the like and wish that you were playing there instead. I'm afraid I doubt I would return anytime soon.

September 20, 2016

liam
September 30, 2016

I agree with most of your comments, especially on the greens being upturned saucer design and well-guarded with bunkers making the greens difficult to play on and get too, and it isn't classic links that's for sure, but it wasn't meant to be as I'd imagine if it was trying to be a links then the first thing that would be done would be to put flat greens, so it’s clearly a hybrid trying to separate itself from the surrounding courses. One of Craigielaw's biggest problems is where it is situated, being in amongst links courses of the tradition and quality of courses such as Muirfield and the Gullane’s among many other amazing courses in the area. But to say the greens are hard is definitely not true, if you speak to anyone who plays/ is a member at this course then you will know that its most common complaint is the greens are too slow and soft, so for you to say basically the polar opposite shows you just had a bad round and possibly not playing the course as it was meant to be played.

I am not a pro by any means, but I have a 9 handicap and was born and raised playing the courses in the area and have my fair share of knowledge on them as a result. There has been plenty of times when I have loathed courses I loved playing the previous week or month, including Craigielaw, as a result of the way I played, the weather that day, even the condition of certain parts being different etc. There are many courses that have holes or greens that need a certain approach that if not done can cause problems to your round. However, saying it is the "failing" as you put it, of the green keeping staff and course designer's for all of that, clearly shows the ignorance that you have as a golfer, good round or not, if the course is not to your taste you cannot say that it is a failing when it is something you have no idea about, considering the course was designed by Donald Steele, a world renowned golf course architect, I reckon he would know more than you about the matter and have a good idea what the original intentions of the designs were. Same in regards to what work is put into the care of the course by the greenkeepers. There could be plenty people that love it and plenty people that hate it, nothing wrong with even despising the course, but saying a “failing” is total ignorance and takes away the credibility of your review.

Douglas Allan
October 20, 2016

Thanks for your response Liam. I cannot understand your assertion that saying the greens are hard is "definitely not true" - this was a 100% fact the day I played and I can't imagine this was just a one-off given it was late summer when I played. Many of the greens were simply impossible to hold when hitting anything above a 7-iron into them and having to carry the whole way. I also like your assumption that I just had a bad round when in actual fact I played 1 over my handicap which on the day felt like shooting under par!

Of course it is true to say that opinions can vary depending on conditions, weather etc but I do try to treat each course I play objectively. In general, even if I dislike a course I can normally think of a reason that I might go back, however, in this case there are just so many better alternatives in the surrounding area that I am struggling to think of a reason to return.

I also thank you for your assertion that it is "something I know nothing about" - I do not claim to be a golf pro or course architect but it is my opinion (as a decent-standard golfer who plays a lot of links golf) that the golf course fails in the regard that good shots are simply not rewarded at many of the holes. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it as you are yours. It is and to say it takes away the credibility of my review is utter nonsense.

I played this course for the 6th time last week. I come to East Lothian every two years to play all the courses in the area. I always love visiting this area with it having so many brilliant courses and its always interesting to see how some have changed in the matter of a couple years. E.G. Gullane having a couple new changes for their recent hosting of the Scottish Open.But what has been amazing for me is the remarkable change that has occurred on this course in the last 2 years. I don’t know what has been done but it’s taken a massive U-turn in its quality. From the the 1st tee you can see out onto the 9th, 1st and 18th and straight away you can see the beauty of the course but not just cause of its remarkable views but also how uniformed the course looks, the shapes in the fairways have changed a lot and are more “linksy” with straight shapes and gradual curves rather than dramatic waves like they used to be, adding more of the links to the hybrid American/links style of the course. But also everything is much more neat and orderly than I experienced in prior visits. E.G. the Greens have a lot more definition between them and the aprons with a crisp edge.There is also a noticeable difference in the condition of some areas. E.g. 4th fairway used to seem peaky but now is a nice colour. The right hand side of the 5th green had a hollow that was worn out and bare soil but is now velvet grass. The greens as a whole are also so much truer, less bumpy and less patchy and run at a fair and consistent speed from green to green, they are one of the most noticeable advances in quality that I have seen.Additionally there seems to be interesting changes made around certain bunkers making them features like growing a portion of rough round certain ones like 15th and 16th fairway, catching the ball but also making it look a bit different from just bunkers sitting there. As well as the 18th being changed with a big section of rough grown in from both sides at the fairway bunkers making it separate the fairway which nice change up for the last quarter of the last hole to the course. Also the burn at the front of the 11th green has been revamped and been made to be a feature. While it looks brilliant compared to what it was complimented with new bridges, and is much more of a hazard now that there is a clear distinction, it still doesn’t hold water? I would of thought a lining probably should have been incorporated in it in the alteration, but I am just one guy.While people may be able to pick faults here and there, there is no denying that the difference in the condition and quality of the course has improved so vastly it really is hard to pick fault at these areas as there has clearly been a lot of work done to improve the condition of the course as it is. It is arguably the top 5 courses in the area. Top marks to all involved!
August 29, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
We played Craigielaw the first weekend in July as a 10 ball visiting society and had a great day.Given that the Gullane courses and North Berwick (West) were closed for the Scottish Open and its Qualifying competition the course wasn't too busy. As a more corporate venue the members were very friendly and unusually for Scotland there was actually a grass practice ground for those who wanted to avail themselves of it.The course reminded me of the Craighead links at Crail but is better I think - ie obviously new, good seaside feel despite being separated from the sea by another golf course, some old walls incorporated in the course and great thought given to maximising the views. I think that the course is better established than Craighead due to more natural bunkering and more varied ground, but similarly suffers a little from many holes being somewhat "samey", which will hopefully diminish as the course ages.The "stockbroker stadium" feeling on the otherwise very good par 3 10th hole is bizarre, as noted by other reviewers.We finished with very good golf club food in a nice open air courtard before heading back to our digs. A really enjoyable day on a very good course, 4.5 stars but I always round down !
July 07, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
The fairways can get very hard and fast – a deliberate policy as there are no sprinklers other than on tees and greens. The bunkers are all quite steep and are very well placed. There are also a number of stone walls across parts of the fairways and the rough so that an errant drive is punished accordingly.

The 1st hole plays tougher than its modest length of 327 yards would suggest. There are two fairway bunkers just left of centre of the fairway and to the right is fairly thick rough. The green is crowned and gives you almost no option (because of the greenside bunkers) other than the aerial route.

The 4th, a par five of 583 yards, is rated the most difficult. Several fairway bunkers are waiting and there is an angled stone wall as you get closer to the raised inverted saucer green. The par three 6th definitely favours exponents of the draw. You hit over a stone wall to a green with deep bunkers at left front.

The 10th is a good par three of 174 yards with some stately houses in the background. It is very difficult to get up and down if you miss the green on the left. Whilst the 11th is a reasonably long par five of 540 yards, it is downhill and, in summer especially, may be reachable in two. However, due to a small burn in front of the green, you may be best to lay up with your second.

This review is an edited extract from Another Journey through the Links, which has been reproduced with David Worley’s kind permission. The author has exclusively rated for us every Scottish course featured in his book. Another Journey through the Links is available for Australian buyers via www.golfbooks.com.au and through Amazon for buyers from other countries.
April 12, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played this on a edinburgh weekend my advice is avoid!!!!!!!! the tees and fairways are not links!!!!!!!!! they are rock solid pete kind of mud combination, weird turf and range was a mess too with mud. cant really hit a divot and get control or good strike as ground is not in good condition, hardly no grass on fairways, muddy parts, and dead grass and fairways in terrible condition, also built on weird turf. if you play true links or good courses like archerfield or gulllane you will notice difference as strikes and turf interaction is good there. as for the course was a bit boring with the holes all par 3's around same distance and greens were very slow for a so called links. views were good and to be honest this is more a corporate course, definitely not a fan of this. also no starter and seems a bit run down and quiet as far better courses in area.
August 10, 2014

0 people found this review helpful and 4 did not
gary
October 22, 2014
have to disagree with a few of the comments, the tees are exactly like links tees, has a nice follow through on hits and a nice sandy soil mix, pretty much what you need them to be to be classed as links. I do however agree with the fairways being hard and some of them not being in very good condition. dont personally find the turf weird, from what i understand from discussing with some members the course had been neglected but is under new management so it is in a recovery process and some fairways have been reshaped so the turf is still adapting. as for speed of the greens, yes i agree they are slow for links, however when i played quite recently it was a strong wind and combine that with the upside down saucer greens I was quite grateful to being able to hold the ball on them, not saying its what everyone wants but maybe consider it could be deliberate.
Played Craigielaw in May 2013 I was very impressed by the club but less so by the course. the general feel of the place is a business rather than a golf club.There is a absolutely stunning clubhouse which affords a dramatic panoramic view of virtually the whole course, the changing facilities are top notch and the chilli bowl one of the best that I have had. Unfortunately this quality was not replicated ony the course. The tenth hole in particular feels absolutely "foreign" and would belong better on a french ski resort; this is not to say that the course does not have merit but none of the hole is truly memorable and there is a string of holes after the 10th that are pretty similar. My main concern however was the state of the greens which were heavily sanded, short of grass and in some cases hollow tined. The 17th being particularly poor. This was not helped by unsympathetic pin placements which made putting a real chore. I understand that the weather has been difficult this year but we also played Gullane 2, North Berwick and Dunbar all in the same region which did not display similar issues. This might be a better course in some years time but for the present I believe there are courses in the area which offer a better proposition.
May 20, 2013

derek
May 21, 2013
I agree broadly with this review but couldn't help but respond to the comment about the 10th.From what I can recall it's a pretty good par three but to dismiss a whole because it is near some large houses is a bit odd - the most famous whole in the world involves you hitting right over the top of a rather sizeable hotel!!!! there are loads of other examples in Scotland of great holes on great courses that are not only in view of properties they are in spitting distance of them! Good , fair review though!
CJY Lawrence
September 24, 2013
I'd have to agree with others as played it last week (Sept 2013) and whilst the clubhouse and surroundings are wonderful the course isn't as great as I'd been lead to believe. I see it's ranked 14th in the Lothians on this website and I'd agree with its lowly ranking as its neighbour Kilspindie not to mention Gullane 2, Dunbar and North Berwick can 'wipe the floor' with Craigielaw - it's too corporate in its feel and the course isn't true to its links heritage with the raised greens and housing estate. Personally I can now say 'been there done that' but I won't return; the other East Lothian tracks mentioned have way more class about them as proper links courses.
I joined this club recently having played it once before and am very pleased I did. It is long enough to provide a tough test (off the backs in a strong breeze you are doing well to be near your handicap) and the lay out is an entertaining one; on the front 9 there are no two holes of the same par in a row and in the middle of the back 9 you'll find a tough stretch of five par 4s that will make or break your score. Considering it is only 11 years old it has matured very well. Having played it mostly in the early half of this year when the rough is short and forgiving I returned this summer to find a completely different course, where the fairways were a deep green and each hole was bordered by long, golden grass. It looked superb and yet was not overly punishing (similar to the rough at Gullane just across Aberlady Bay).My favourite holes are the 1st and the stretch from the 6th to the 12th, though all of them are good holes. If the Scottish weather has been dry for a day or so (unlikely), expect for find the raised undulating greens very tricky. However, even after a heavy rain, the course always plays fantastically, especially compared to the parkland courses you find in Edinburgh city.It was tough choosing what to rate this course. I would rate it a 4.5, definitely above average but slightly below the standard of other, more well established links courses in Scotland like Dornoch and Carnoustie.
June 27, 2012