Dumfries & County - Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland

• Vivienne Tipping

• Willie Fernie

• James Erskine

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Dumfries & County

Willie Fernie, the 1883 Open winner, designed this privately owned parkland course on 89 acres of the Nunfield Estate in 1912. He cleverly planned the layout in two loops of nine with the 9th and 18th holes finishing at the clubhouse, thus offering members the chance to play a quick nine holes on either the front or back nine holes if stuck for time.

The course was opened the following year with an exhibition match where Percy Hills and Mr. J.M. Bowie played against Harry Fulford and James Bennett, the club professional. Many distinguished guests have followed them down the years, including Henry Cotton, Dai Rees, Peter Alliss, Max Faulkner, Walter Hagan, Fred Daly and Bobby Locke.

During the Second World War, to aid the war effort, the course was closed and the fairways turned into wheat and potato fields. When hostilities were over, the course was reconstructed and new land became available to extend the 8th, 11th and 12th holes.

Dumfries & County held its first major championship in 1958 with the British Youths Championship. The Scottish Girls Championship was also staged at Nunfield in 1963 and 1968 and the British Senior Ladies Championship was played here in 2006.

Three holes are worthy of mention: The 4th a 327-yard par four, named “Queensberry”, offers a fantastic view of the Nith valley from its elevated tee. The green – and they are all USGA standard here – has bunkers protecting it right and left with out of bounds to the back. The 7th, a 519-yard par five called “Burns Walk”, requires accuracy all the way to the pin as the fairway tapers into the green with out of bounds on the right. The 16th is a great 201-yard one-shotter called “The Rhodies” and it’s played to an elevated green and requires a solid tee shot that will carry all the way to avoid deep bunkers to the front of the putting surface.

Reviews for Dumfries & County

I was Jim’s travelling companion on the Dumfries trip. Like him, I enjoyed the morning round at Dumfries and Galloway a lot more than the afternoon hit down the road at Dumfries and County mainly because it is, in my view, a far better and varied golf course. The first impression of Dumfries and County wasn’t very positive with my golfing ire irked, long before a ball was struck. The reason for this was a sign stating that visitors must park in a separate car park presumably Dumfries and County Golf Course - Photo by reviewerbecause the members don’t wish to mix with the riff raff? I hate this sort of golfing apartheid it gets on my wick, I am a great believer that we are all golfing brothers, the good people of Dumfries and County obviously don’t share my sunny outlook. Sadly, what followed was inevitable when we were directed to our very own visitor’s cubbyhole to change our shoes. I also agree with Jim when he states the course is all about the first six holes which are very good, the 2nd would be excellent if they installed greenside bunkering. I got a sense of foreboding whilst standing on the 6th tee surveying the upcoming holes which didn’t appear to be all that inspiring. Sadly, that turned out to be the case with the remaining holes not on a par with the opening 6 ,and although the 13th, and a strong home hole raised the bar , I found the rest of the holes humdrum at best. So if you are ever in the area and looking for a game of golf I would strongly steer you towards Dumfries and Galloway, Jim has mentioned the uber quirky 14th but I really enjoyed the course with holes 5,7,8, 12 and 16 my pick of the bunch. MPPJ
October 02, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
I warmed up for my round at D&C with a game at nearby Dumfries & Galloway, which has a decent front nine and a somewhat contrived back nine (especially the crazy par fours at 11 and 14). Expectations were higher for this place and it didn’t disappoint – but only for the first six holes, where the fairways are laid out on wildly undulating terrain, even if the back and forward Dumfries and County Golf Course - Photo by reviewerrouting of holes 2 to 5 is rather pedestrian. From the par five 7th hole onwards however, I gradually lost interest as many of the holes - despite being laid out on a pleasantly rolling landscape - were really rather ordinary, with most of the greens blandly contoured. The low point of the round was the 90-yard par three 14th, which was as poor a short hole as I’ve ever encountered. Sorry I can’t be more positive as I made a three hour round trip to play here (and I scored 34 Stableford points so I wasn’t playing that badly) but this type of prosaic parkland golf was not for me. Maybe I played in a subconscious bad mood as I was definitely irked by the tee sign at the 291-yard first hole which stated: “Attempting to drive the first green is strictly forbidden” (presumably for health & safety reasons because of the housing to the right of the fairway) – since when were golf clubs entitled to tell golfers what sort of the shot they can’t play at a particular hole? Jim McCann
September 19, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
NAC
October 22, 2014
I'm very surprised to read that you preferred the D&G course over the Dumfries & County course. I've never played the Galloway course but from those that have I've always heard that the Galloway course wasn't up to much and that D&G was easily the better of the two. As for D&G I've played it several times and always enjoyed it with some good strong holes and some really interesting holes' I'd be very happy to play there again if in the area. NAC
BC Holder
June 14, 2016
Played here in summer 2014 and was also frustrated by the 1st tee instructions; apparently there's a long-running dispute with a neighbouring house and so an 8 iron off the tee was the option but it's a nonsense. After I'd played the course I still couldn't recall much of it at all other than the uphill drive to a welcoming green situated the width of a path from the clubhouse windows. I agree about the 90 yard 14th played from mats. Not somewhere I'd go back to. The only real golfers course in the area is Southerness; I'd recommend that.