Lykia Links - Turkey

• Mihriban Gökmen

• Perry Dye

• Kurtulus Gulsen

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Lykia Links

Perry Dye – son of legendary Pete Dye – has a few well known European designs to his name (Austria’s Klagenfurt-Seltenheim and San Roque (New) in Spain spring to mind) and his latest Turkish delight is right up there with the others in the top bracket.

The Links course lies within the sprawling Lykia Estate in Turkey’s Antalya region and it’s yet another in a line of fabulous 18-hole layouts to emerge from the Belek tourist area, one of Europe’s most vibrant golfing hot spots.

Actually, the course sits a little bit away from the eastern end of the “Belek golf strip”, beside a river estuary that runs into the Mediterranean, and it’s laid out over a classic links landscape, complete with natural sand dunes and rumpled fairways – ideal terrain for the first links course in the country.

The reputation of the architect’s father for designing tough tracks has rubbed off on Perry as he has fashioned a course at Lykia that offers a meaty test (in total contrast to the type of golf found at most other nearby courses) so holiday golfers – you have been warned – don’t expect a stroll in the sun here!

A massive 7,536 yards from the back pegs, Lykia Links is not just about length when it comes to presenting a serious challenge. Green complexes are guarded by deep, railway-sleepered bunkers, fairways are bordered by large waste areas and putting surfaces are generally small and sloping.

Two of the holes on the front nine (7 and 8) play round a fresh water lake but that’s as close to resort golf as you’ll find on this course. On the inward half, holes 13 to 16 are set out in the dunes along the shores of the Med and the round ends in fine style at a home hole where an enormous waste area and mounding flank either side of a fairway that leads to an upturned saucer of a green.

Reviews for Lykia Links

I’ve just had a look at some of the previous reviews for this course and I’m glad to see there are a couple of recent 3-ball marks from golfers who might agree with me when I ask the question “how on earth can this course be ranked number 1 in Turkey?” Having earlier visited Carya the same morning and been suitably impressed, I expected so much more from Lykia in the afternoon but it fell way short of my expectations.

The magazine award certificates that hang in the hallway of the clubhouse are obviously remnants of the club’s glory days, dating back to when it first opened, but they in no way reflect the current status of a course that is sadly showing more than a few signs of neglect. I can overlook poor conditioning during the off season but general scruffiness and widespread dilapidation are genuine concerns.

Lykia Links Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Having since made a few discreet inquires, I understand the place has gone rapidly downhill since ClubMed pulled out a few years ago, with the owners allowing key members of staff to leave and cutting off relations with the architect. Love grass was meant to grow around the bunkers, off the fairways and in the large waste bunkers to help soften the surroundings but the high maintenance regime required to manage these plantings has been totally abandoned.

I didn’t like the numerous sandy waste areas dotted around the course and the occasional lone trees planted in the middle of several fairway were just a bit too contrived – and the least said about the incongruous water hazard between the 7th and 8th holes the better as it does absolutely nothing (like the trees) to enhance the course’s tenuous links credentials.

On the positive side, carpeting the course with paspalum works well as that particular type of grass seems to provide the most links-like, firm and fast playing conditions that you’ll find in a warm climate. The fairways were nicely routed back and forward along the coastline but the only hole to get my pulse racing was the par four 12th where, after a blind drive, the fairway dips sharply down to a tiny, sand-protected green.

I don’t know if any imminent investment is planned for the course (and the clubhouse looks and feels really run down too) but, without a decent financial outlay, there’s only one way that Lykia Links is heading in future editions of the Turkish (and Continental European) rankings. It doesn’t take a genius to realize you can only rest on your laurels for so long before you’re overtaken by the opposition…

February 06, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

I played this on a beautiful November day, with no wind, and it was a joy to experience a course of this quality and uniqueness. Saying that, however, this is not a World Top 100 contender. It might be long for the shorter hitters, yet the fairways are so generous that it's quite hard to put your ball in serious trouble.

The flattish holes closest to the Med, Nos 12 to 16, are probably too wide open, and would benefit from more definition and shaping to make them interesting. While it has a strong links appearance, it is dissimilar from UK and Irish links in that there was virtually no run on the fairways when I played there.

Every drive was creating a pitch mark in the fairways, and leaving mud on the ball. This made the course even longer to play, and I eventually settled for the blue tees (5869 metres). The course, with its paspalum fairways and greens, was in good condition when I played there. The superb turf makes for easy walking.I liked the fact that most golfers were walking the course, and not riding carts.

Best holes? The tenth is a superb par 4, but difficult for the average golfer. I liked the 12th, with something of a blind tee shot, and then walking over a dune to discover a beautifully created green. The seventh is a stunning short par 4 with water guarding the left side of the fairway.

November 05, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played Lykia Links in May 2015. In my view this is the best course in the Belek area - the lay out is excellent with a variety of long stern holes, shorter sporty par fours and challenging par threes. There are a couple of holes in land around a lake which are out of keeping with the rest of the course but apart from that this is a welcome change from the trees and lakes of the other Belek courses. If you come to the area this should definately be on your list.
March 21, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer

This is a bold and striking golf course you should probably NOT review after just one visit. However, I’m not going to let that stop me now, am I? It’s a complex and intimidating snake, newly basking by the timeless sea, coiled thrice about itself, sprung and ready to strike, a rumpled ribbon of green between the brown scrub and golden shore. The breeze helped us out on the opening 3 holes, and played from the back tees I was grateful for the assistance.

This is a new Links and it is as long as you want it to be. Take a cart too ifLykia Links Golf Course - Photo by reviewer I were you and a course planner, Don’t come expecting the Northern European style links. This one owes very little to nature on the ground. It is a hard and exhilarating test that is genuinely intimidating from start to finish and those greens are small and well defended. I don’t think I want to know what they are like when they are super fast as they are seriously undulating.

The manufactured dunes have quite a beard on them. You will lose your ball if you go in there so take a few. It can be hard work in places and patience for the first time player is a requirement. Never the less please don’t be put off. You should play it. It is well worth the short trip.

Make sure you play this one early in your trip. It is relentlessly difficult and you will need stamina to get the most out of it. Don’t play it swung out or hung over. I would say the top 5 on here are about right and this one is the best value of the lot.

PGA sultan is underrated they say but I’m going to have to find out on the next trip. There is much to enjoy here but it will not win everyone over. It will divide opinion but bland it isnt. You will all enjoy the situation, the few times you best it or even live with it are intensely rewarding. It was in fine condition and I am sure as the Turkish Season gets underway in a month or so it will be ready for you. Will you be ready for it? JCB LAY

September 10, 2015

Murat Suslu
October 30, 2015
Dear Sir, Thank You for your kindness feedback and the time you spend to write a cooment in Lycia links Golf courses. We appreciate that you shared with the necessary information how to play superior Golf. Hope to see you again in the new seasons to enjoy the game. Sincerely yours LykiaWorld & LinksGolf Antalya
Lovely course and far more interesting and fun than all the other courses in Belek. Right by the sea, especially the second 9. The greens were slow, but August is out of season. We teed off at 6pm and played 9 holes - we had the course to ourselves.
August 09, 2015

Murat Suslu
October 30, 2015
Dear Guest, Thanks for sharing Your comment top100golfcourses. We hope that you visit us during high season to obtain a challenging and interesting game. For more information do not hesitate to contact us on our email: reservation@lykiaworldantalya.com Sincerely yours, LykiaWorld & LinksGolf Antalya
Just returned home from Belek, our third trip to this region in as many years. First time at Lykia, thought we would give it a try in view of it's number one position for Belek. The condition of the course falls well below other courses in the region and I cannot see how it rates above Carya, Sultan, National and both the Gloria courses.
June 02, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
Just came back from Belek and Played 5 courses during the Hurricane week. From the moment you see those bunkers with the sleepers, you know you are going to experience something different from the norm. 4 of us played with handicaps varying from 6 to 18 and all found it testing but playable. the fairways are wide and give you plenty of options, all though some of the easier options will make the hole longer. We all loved the course layout and views. The one disappointment was the speed of the greens. the 1st round we played they were very slow (this could have been due to the very bad weather and them not having a chance to cut them) The 2nd time they were quicker, but I would still regard them as slow greens (slower then my club back home). This was a surprise as I have Played the Dye design courses in Casa De Campo and there the greens were great. That was the only negative on what was a great day and a fantastic course. Would definitely play this one again
October 30, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
Firstly, I am not aware of the hotel going into administration as the previous reviewer has stated. I spoke to the golf company and they weren't aware either. This was our second time in 2 years at the Lykia. What a great day. The course was in fantastic condition, greens were great and there wasn't much breeze. Fortunately it was slightly overcast so we didn't suffer the full heat (there is no where to hide out there). Everyone loved it and we will definitely be returning next year. Definitely the best course along with the Sultan. One point to note. It can get hot on the course which isn't necessarily an issue, but there are no water stops and no drinks buggy on the course (this was the same last year). We were desperate for a drink and had loaded up with water before we left the club house.
September 12, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played it on June 16th 2014 and was a bit concerned as we knew the hotel had gone into administration. It was FANTASTIC and many of the 19 guys who were with me who have also done Spain, Portugal and USA on many occasions commented that they thought it was THE best course we have played on tour over and above the likes of Monte Rei and alike. We had a perfect day and played the 7000-ish yard option which punished some of the high handicappers but never detracted from their enjoyment. I will say there was not much wind on the day and it was very hot to which end we did drink the clubhouse dry literally. We normally try not to repeat courses but I have been asked to keep this one on the rota by the majority of the guys. A must play in Turkey.
June 28, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
Played at Lykia for the 3rd time on May 20th during our annual golf trip to Belek - the hotel has gone into administration and the golf course was badly in need of some "TLC". The greens were very slow and other areas of the course looked neglected - a great shame as it remains a fantastic layout and is so different from the other courses in the area. We were told that new owners had bought the hotel so let's hope that the golf course is returned to its former glory - at the moment though it doesn't warrant it's number 1 ranking - Carya was exceptional and must rank as number 1.
May 24, 2014