Real Valderrama - Southern Spain - Spain

• Javier Reviriego

• Robert Trent Jones

• Miguel Sedeno

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Valderrama

Valderrama played host to the 1997 Ryder Cup matches between the USA and Europe. Team Captains were Tom Kite (US) and Seve Ballesteros (Europe). The first Ryder Cup to be hosted on mainland Europe was a tale of Europe’s five rookies who produced an impressive performance in the pairs during the first two days, giving Europe a five-point lead going into the singles. The US rallied during the final day, winning the singles 8-4, but it came down to the last match between Colin Montgomerie and Scott Hoch which ended in a halve after Monty sportingly conceded Hoch’s 15-footer on the final green. Europe 14 ½ - USA 13 ½. The Ryder Cup was played at Oak Hill in 1995 and at the Country Club, Brookline in 1999.

Everybody has heard about Valderrama “the Augusta of Europe” but its success is really down to Jaime Ortiz-Patino and a few of his golfing mates. In 1985, the industrialist billionaire bought what was then a fairly average course. He then spent an absolute fortune on it and now it’s one of the best courses in the world.

In 1975 Robert Trent Jones first laid out the course, which was originally known as Los Aves. It is located prominently on a hill above the old Andalucian village of Sotogrande. The layout remained relatively anonymous until 1985 when Jamie and his mates recalled Trent Jones to subtly reshape Valderrama and the club has not looked back since.

Many golfers will be familiar with Valderrama from TV coverage. The club has hosted a plethora of championships, including the Volvo Masters and the legendary 1997 Ryder Cup, which saw a narrow one point European victory under the captaincy of none other than Seve Ballesteros.

The closing holes are always described as tough with a capital “T” but if you choose your tee sensibly from the off, it’s an eminently playable course for golfers of most abilities (the maximum handicap allowed at Valderrama is 24 for men 32 for ladies). The 17th hole is naturally the most memorable. It’s called Los Gabiones and was once just a long par five until the water was installed just in front of the green. Now it’s a question of shall we lay up or should we go for it?

Despite the fact that Valderrama is an elite private members club, visitors can still obtain the key to the first tee. It’s certainly not the cheapest green fee in Europe but, because Valderrama is never overplayed, it’s always in tip-top condition. Valderrama is also completely in tune with nature. Apart from Loch Lomond, it’s is the only other European golf club to be awarded full Audubon status (Audubon's mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems). Play Valderrama and prepare to be impressed… very impressed.

Jaime Ortiz-Patino, the owner and honorary president at Valderrama, died in a hospital in Marbella in January 2013. The legendary figure played a key role in bringing the 1997 Ryder Cup to Spain. “Valderrama is his masterpiece, his legacy,” commented Jose-Maria Olazabal. “He wanted to make it a very special place, and he did it. He put Valderrama and that part of Andalucia on the map.”

In June 2014, Ortiz-Patino would have been extremely proud. A few days before his abdication, His Majesty King Juan Carlos of Spain, granted Valderrama the Royal title. Club de golf Valderrama was duly renamed to Real Club Valderrama.

Reviews for Real Valderrama

Description: Most golfers will be familiar with Valderrama from TV coverage. The golf club has hosted a plethora of championships, including the legendary 1997 Ryder Cup. In 2014 the club was granted Royal status. Rating: 5.5151515151515 out of 6

This was my third 18 holes round at Valderrama (I also played 9 holes twice more) and again was defeated by the course, although in a different way. On this time on a windy day and with some silly mistakes I was 5 over on 17th with the ball on the green in 2. 15 minutes later after a 3 putt and a double on 18th a disappointing 78 was posted on the scorecard, which tied Real Valderrama Golf Course - Photo by reviewer my “course record”! But those 2 holes left me with a bad taste as I played a lot better than that, but that is what Valderrama is: tough to the limit and EVERY mistake will be punished, no matter if it is a small one, she will always win.

I will not describe every hole as all readers could get a more detailed description of the course on the internet, but will try to help golfers who will play it in the future to try to avoid the mistakes I made. On 1st Hole tee shot needs to be on the left, as the right hand side trees will block your approach shot. On 2nd hole don’t be long on the left of the fairway tree, again blocked. On 3rd I over clubbed and a nice double bogey appeared, always better short. 4th was described by RTJ as the best par 5 he produced and I could agree, but a short shot could come 50yds back and I would say it is the toughest 100yds shot I have faced. Tee shot on 5th needs to be on the right, if left buy an axe to eliminate trees if you wish the go away from the forest. On 8th tee shot has to be no longer than 220yds or blocked again, if you go for the green (only very long hitters) the Real Valderrama Golf Course - Photo by reviewer chances of disaster are huge. On par 5 11th don´t miss the green on the left, death penalty! 12th in my opinion is the toughest hole on the course and there is nowhere to miss … from 220yds! Going for the green on 17th is not a guaranteed birdie chance as the putting from the back side is tough. And 18th is the narrowest fairway and toughest drive I have faced, including Pine Valley, Merion, Shinnecock and more really tough courses! I can´t give you some help, I consider a miracle to hit this fairway!

The previous is just a short advice on the mistakes you need to avoid some of the mistakes I made. The course is great: tough, challenging, maintained close to perfection, fast greens, attention to details as good as it can be and then lunch at the Club House ends your golf day in perfection. Many consider it expensive and the price yes is high but compared with some other famed courses and their prices, it is fair and it is owrth the visit. And as there is a lot of golf in the area, you will want to come back!

June 28, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Robert Trent Jones' design philosophy of "hard par, easy bogey" works well at Valderrama, although in the end it is quite a difficult course. The defining characteristic of the course, as you soon find out, is the over 2,000 old cork oak trees that are everywhere.

Valderrama excels on its short par four holes such as the eighth (296 meters), tenth (333 meters) and thirteenth (341 meters). Each requires you to hit to the appropriate side of the fairway in order to have a clean approach to the small, elevated, well-bunkered greens.

The tenth hole is a 333 meter sweeping dog-leg par four that requires your tee shot to land on the left side of the fairway to avoid the big cork tree that guards the hole on the right. There is a pond right of the fairway and shots on the right side of the fairway tend to run down the severe slope and feed into the water. In this regard, I found Valderrama to be similar to Merion, in that you have to be in the correct position on each fairway or your approach shot is much more difficult. I am not suggesting the two have a similar visual feel, simply that the way you have to approach playing each course is similar, with precision in putting a shot where you want to being of paramount importance.

Valderrama doesn't offer a let-up throughout the round and certainly not on the eighteenth hole. The cork trees are a constant presence on the course right up until the end. The eighteenth is a 397-meter dog-leg left. If you can cut the corner and hit over the cork trees on the left you will have a shorter shot to the green. The hole offers a safe option playing to the right, but your remaining shot to the green will be much longer. A pull off the tee is deadly since the rough and waste area left of the trees penalize such a shot.

I liked Valderrama a lot. It is one of the best conditioned courses I have played and I was blessed with a charming and experienced caddy (Vincente) who helped me by suggesting shot shapes and types throughout the round.

I would describe the course as a cross between Augusta (its conditioning, bunker style and the terrain) and Harbour Town (the overhanging trees and narrow fairways). Rather than finding the trees to be a gimmick, I thought it was a good design characteristic. I had to punch five irons and hybrid clubs, had to hit wedges over tress and attempt to use all clubs to start the ball low, land on the green and then stop. Or I had to try to hit a big hook or slice, mostly without success. It can certainly be frustrating to hit a fairway and not have a clear second shot; but the decision to hit over, under or around a tree is part of Valderrama's charm.

John Sabino is the author of How to Play the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs

November 23, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer

Lovely course but nowhere near as tough as they make out. The rough has been cut back and you rarely get an impossible lie. Greens are quick and the toughest thing about what is a second shot course. Les Bordes in a different league of difficulty.

February 19, 2015

David Davis
October 22, 2016

Without a doubt the single most famous course in Spain. Unfortunately during my recent visit the course was closed for maintenance, however, to my benefit they were kind enough to take me on an extensive tour of the course so I could take photos and do a bit of studying, to prepare to play it another day.

For a keen student of golf course architecture having the chance to walk and carefully observe a course is every bit as interesting as playing it, though of course not quite as fun. Since this was my first visit to Valderrama I had heard many stories about the course. These ranging from stories of how it’s not the best course in Spain to it being the best course people have ever seen. One thing is for certain, in terms of maintenance and preparation it’s easily arguably on par with the best courses in the US which is something that can rarely be said about courses in Europe. That aspect of the course is top notch. Now obviously they have the budget to maintain it at this very high level as well which most certainly helps.

Real Valderrama Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

One of the comments I had heard in recent years was how narrow the course is due to the cork trees. I’d like to make a couple comments on my impressions here. Firstly there is no doubt that some holes feel rather tight. The reality is Valderrama does a significant amount of tree trimming and even removal each year. The cork trees are such an integral part of the course it would be tough to imagine what it would be like with out them. They certainly add an eerie, majestic charm. For my eye there are several places where I could envision more width being preferred that being said I couldn’t imagine the course without these trees and you won’t often here me say that as in general I’m not a fan of trees impinging on the playability or playing alleys of golf courses. A big question is would you think twice before removing Cypress trees from Cypress Point….I guess I would.

That being said it’s no surprise that one of my favorite holes visually was the par 5, 11th which was totally open with a sort of skyline green or so it appeared from the approach area with the exception of some background trees which I would argue to remove.

Real Valderrama Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

In terms of the routing, I’m sure it’s one of RTJ best efforts. What is questionable would be the usage of raised greens. For my liking there are a few too many, this of course always makes for a great and challenging test for the big events like the Spanish Open to push and challenge the very best players. It might be torture for high single and double-digit hcper’s.

Make no mistake, Valderrama is there to challenge the best players and that it does as good as any other course. If you ever get the chance to play, I’d say jump on it, bare down and bring on your A game, you will need every bit of it.

As to the question of whether or not it’s the best course in Spain, I would suggest (without having seen Sotogrande) that it’s either 1 or 2 and competes only with El Saler for this honor. It’s also most certainly Top 10 in Europe.

One thing is for sure, a thorough walk around this course certainly helps build the anticipation of one day hopefully being able to experience trying to pull off all those challenging shots. I imagine it to be the kind of course where you just add about 10 shots to your handicap (for single hcp’ers) and attempt to play as smart and conservatively as you can. I’d rate it 6-balls based on my extensive tour.

Frankly speaking, a little disappointing. Valderrama is definitely a nice course in exceptional condition, but does not live up to the expectations. Personally I enjoyed more playing Finca Cortesin or Sotogrande.From the regular tees the course is pretty short, and even though the trees make every shot a difficult one, I did not find it a very challenging course. In addition, as the course is laid out within a real estate development there are no particularly spectacular views such as in Finca Cortesin. Finally, the price is far too high for what you get (cannot even use the driving range if not only 45 minutes before the tee time assigned). All in all a "must play" given its reputation, but I won't be going back again as for other courses.
December 29, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
I'm lucky to have played this course almost a dozen times over the last 6 years, usually with a member - but I would pay full price willingly since it is SO far ahead of its non-links competitors in Europe. The condition is absolutely immaculate, the course demands you use your head as well as your muscles (those Cork Oak trees - bunkers in the sky!), the service is impeccable. The greens are wonderfully quick and deceptive. If you get the chance then you have to play it. Rather one round here than two at another Spanish course. Even Sotogrande pales into insignificance in comparison. Having said all of that, it isn't my top course in Europe - that honour would go to RCD, followed by Ballybunion Old and Royal St. Georges, but as a parkland course it has no peers in my experience.
August 19, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
After an exquisite game of golf here just a few weeks ago, one can easily say that the golfing experience offered by Valderrama Golf Club is way above other private clubs.The quality of the course was fantastic and it is clear that everything is well maintained. My friends and I were treated fantastically by the staff of the club, pretty much as if we were loyal members though it was our very first time.At first, one believed that the surroundings were too fabulous to be true, but it turns out you can get the best of everything. It goes without saying that I highly recommend this club.
June 02, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
I have played many private clubs and it always amazes me how they get away with high green fees and bad service. So nice to see Valderrama is different in this respect. GREAT Service provided by well trained staf.I would say the course is simply amazing. One of the best conditioned in the World probably.We spoke to the GM after our round and explained to us all the improvements they have been working on.We will defintely be back next year.
April 08, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
We played in March and I keep telling my friends they must come back and enjoy the experience of playing such a course.Best condition I have ever seen plus top service from staff.One of the World's Iconic courses
April 07, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
WOW what a brilliant golf course, best I have played by some distance. Tight driving holes, brilliant greens, water features and all in prestine condition. Played the course in the rain but it didnt matter, was still a wonderful experience. There was members of staff following us in buggies on the back 9 replacing our towels with fresh dry ones. Lovely touch I thoughHIGHLY RECOMMEND
April 02, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
Some say second parts are not good ... All I can say is that in this case they are wrong! I first visited and played Valderrama in 2009 on late November on a rainy day and almost winter, so although I had a great time, I believed that the course would show a better "face" in Spring and so it did!! My second visit was last May 2013 leading a 32 golfers group from Argentina on a one week trip playing the Top 5 courses of the area on a Tournament. It was totally different, despite not hot it was a sunny (and very windy) day, and the visit lasted a lot longer as I had to be there early to organize de tee times, driving range, socrecards, prizes, etc. This time I had a better chance of admiring the course because of the nice weather and being taking pictures all the way from 1 to 18. The course was in excellent shape, bent grass fringes looked amazing and the greens rolled super fast, so fast that most of the golfers foundValderrama Golf Course - Photo by reviewer lots of troubles to make short putts, but in the end everybody loved not only the course, but the experience, the superve ProShop and the 19th Hole with it's huge burger. What can I say about the course? Can you really argue RTJ? Can you argue a European Tour venue? I believe you may like it or not, but you need to just watch, play and admire. That was my case. And played great despite 3 consecutive doubles on 5-6-7 and bogey on 8. About the course? Maintenance is out of argue, it is perfect, no one can deny that. Design? You may like it or not, but it is a great challenge, you need to put the tee shots on the fairway (an many times avoid the Driver), approaches need to be precise and putting has to be as accurate as you can. There are some great holes (2-4-7-10-15-16-17-18) and a couple I don´t like and believe they are unfair (5-8-14). The course maybe be too much challenge for high handicappers, but you just need to walk, play and admire, enjoying and not worrying about score (maybe playing Stableford). A special note about the greens: they are as fast as an amateur can play, they roll as true as a major championship course can get and sometimes the breaks are tough to identify, pure challenge and I loved it!!! And last but not least: the attention to detail from the crew starting with Golf Director Javier and the girls at the proshop, plus the Caddiemaster, everything was at the highest standards. Some may say that green fees are expensive. Or that the proshop is too much money? Don't you believe a venue of this level and that has hosted Major Events doesn't deserve to have a higher green fee? I believe it does, as to mantain this at this high level, money is needed. You may love it or hate it, I agree, in my case I loved it and will play it always, it is mandatory.
July 04, 2013