Royal St George's - Kent - England

• Tim Checketts

• William Laidlaw Purves, Frank Pennink

• Justen Fiddler

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Royal St George's

Royal St George’s was the first English course to host the Open Championship and is the fourth most used Open venue (host to 14 Opens) after St Andrews, Prestwick and Muirfield.

Date Winner Country
1993 Greg Norman Australia
2003 Ben Curtis USA
2011 Darren Clarke N Ireland
2020 TBC TBC

In 1885, Dr William Laidlaw Purves of Royal Wimbledon Golf Club, spotted from the vantage point of St Clement’s church a spectacular piece of undulating land with expansive sand dunes. Being a Scot and a keen scratch golfer, he decided that there was only one thing to do with this links land; create a golf course. In 1887, the course opened for play and was named 'St George’s' after the English patron saint.

"For a course that is still comparatively young," wrote Bernard Darwin in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, "Sandwich has had more than its share of ups and downs. It was heralded with much blowing of trumpets and without undergoing any period of probation, burst full-fledged into fame."

After only seven years of play, in 1894, Sandwich hosted its first of fourteen Open Championships. This was the first Open to be played outside Scotland.

Royal patronage was granted in 1902 and the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) became club captain. Many celebrated people have been affiliated with the club; the great golf writer Bernard Darwin was president of Royal St George’s between 1952 and 1961.

The course is not a traditional out and back layout. In a similar style to Muirfield, each nine is broadly circular, a loose figure of eight. There is nothing artificial about Royal St George’s; there is a natural look and feel to the course that blends beautifully into the surroundings, with wild flowers, dune grasses and the sweet song of the lark. Commanding views over Pegwell Bay and the white cliffs of Dover ensure an engaging experience.

All the holes are very different and memorable, a true sign of a great golf course. Royal St George’s also has some unique features; thatched roof shelters, the red cross of St George on the flags, and that bunker on the 4th hole cut into a huge dune, the UK’s tallest and deepest bunker. If you can carry that famous bunker on this 470-yard par four, then you can enjoy the peace of the fairway beyond, called the 'Elysian Fields'.

The par three 6th is called the 'Maiden'. We’ll let Bernard Darwin explain why: “There stands the ‘Maiden’ steep, sandy and terrible, with her face scarred and seamed with black timbers, but alas! we no longer have to drive over her crown: we hardly do more than skirt the fringe of her garment.” 'Suez Canal' is the 14th, so called according to Darwin because; “many a second shot has found a watery grave”. The 15th is considered architecturally to be one of the most impressive in golf because the fairway bunkers are virtually symmetrical.

Some hazards are not clearly visible from the tees, but in the past things were much worse. In the mid 1970s, blind shots were considered passé, so Frank Pennink was brought in to ring the changes. Three new holes were built and tee changes were made to two other holes. Many, except for the real traditionalists, believe that these changes have further improved the layout.

Royal St George’s represents one of the most difficult tests of golf, requiring courage, confidence and solid ball striking. Severely undulating fairways make good scoring very tough indeed. Often the tee shot will come to rest on an upslope or a down slope, then one needs to hit a long iron or fairway wood into the green from an uneven lie.

Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond books, was a member here at Royal St George’s. The golf scenes from the film Goldfinger were filmed at Stoke Park, but Fleming called the course “Royal St Marks” in the film, no doubt inspired by his home club.

Sandwich is a classic links course, summed up nicely by Bernard Darwin: “My idea of heaven as is to be attained on an earthly links”. Darwin went on to become president of the club between 1952 and 1961.

Oscar Jacobson

Reviews for Royal St George's

Description: There's nothing artificial about Royal St George’s Golf Club; there's a natural look and feel to the course that blends beautifully into its historical Sandwich surroundings. Rating: 5.4285714285714 out of 6

On our annual GBI trip in June, we returned to RSG after only 3 years. We were very impressed in 2014, but one of our 4some had hurt himself and didn’t get to play. The rest of us enjoyed our two days there so much, we played there 3 days this time. Having played more than 80 of your top 100, I’m more convinced than ever RSG is one of my very favorite venues. Like Muirfield, virtually every hole is distinct, and never are there 2 holes with the same wind direction. Last time, we stayed in the dormy, but this year, we stayed in Sandwich and enjoyed the town. While we were introduced by a member, the welcome was very warm indeed! If you’ve missed this course, plan a visit soon. It’s fabulous.

September 29, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

It was long awaited. The only Royal missing. And the chance of playing it with 3 Top 100 friends in a real golf match made it a perfect round of golf in maybe the best links golf course in England. Some say Birkdale, some would put Hoylake and other even Cinque Ports, but after some days of having played it y comparing to what I saw in the other I will say that RSG is correctly and fairly put in the first spot for England, it is a hell of a golf course and a great challenge.

Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

And it gives me a better tool of analysis having played it in a "serious" match game and having striked the ball as best as ever, making just one bad contact with 18th tee shot (and penalty was big!). In my home course hitting the ball like this I would have scored 6 shots better, but not knowing the course plus the toughness of the green complexes made me lose some shots I usually do not miss. And I believe this will also happen to every golfer playing RSG for the first time.

There are many feature that make it great and challenging, but the first one is a good amount of blind shots where you need to know where to go and of course where not to miss. For example on 5th hole I hit what I though was a perfect tee shot and found it in a cross bunker with only a lay up shot as my only choice. I was not punished, it is just not being familiar with it. and the second shot here is extremely tough with 2 big mounds showing the path for the correct shot. Before this 4th hole again demands a very good tee shot, just missed the fairway by 1 yard and both lie and stand were very uncomfortable. 7th is a clear example of when greediness will collect one or two shots from you: a good tee shot made it possible to reach green in two but the incorrect club and not knowing that crossbunker was in the way made a birdie into a silly bogey. The same happened in 8th after being on the right side of the fairway where the view of the green is not possible, I hit what I thought was a good shot and missed way right the green but it is fair to say wind was supposed to bring back the ball and it did not.

Royal Cinque Ports Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The course was playing the opposite usual wind and on 10th I was close to driving the green, putting from 40yds short of the green which looked weird but gave me my birdie. With that wind and an uphill shot there was no way to hold the ball on the green.

11th played tough with cross wind and 210yds, again wind didn't behave as how it looked it was going to be. This is one of the things that once you get familiar with a course won't happen again to you.

I was really looking forward to "birdie the hole DJ doubled to lose The Open", but despite 2 good shots I bogeyd it! A thin and tight lie punished me for going too close of the green in 2, totally unnecessary as getting home was not possible.

On 15th again a great iron shot but just 1m off the correct line and missed the green just to the right, for the fifth time I was not able to two putt from 4 yds outside the green.

What I am trying to show with this? The demand of precision the course demands on every shot. That is the main and real challenge on Royal St George's.

Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

It is fair to say that with Andy we lost to Mark and Simon 2&1, the just played better and made less mistakes, but it was a great game of golf, one of those worth to be repeated in the future at this one or any other Major Venue.

A paragraph for the greens: again, faster than Scotland and very true, but not as fast as locals say they can be. And greens design is very creative, ondulated, sloped and where you will for sure have a couple of real long putts during your round.

Lunch at the Club completed our day before I headed to Cinque Ports and just a big thank you for being part of Top 100 which usually gets us to experiences like this.

Finally, is it the best? Maybe. Pros don't like the ondulated fairways, but it is the same for all golfers so go and play, it is a great golf course.

August 02, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

In my mind Royal St. George’s at Sandwich is a championship links golf course with few, if any, superiors.

Back in 2014 a trip to compete (I use that term very loosely) in the South-East of England Links Championship presented an opportunity for me to complete the playing of every Open Championship course in England.

I’m very sorry Hoylake, Birkdale and Lytham, you have wonderful golf courses, but personally Royal St. George’s is more than a cut above.

I have found over the years that whenever you go into a course with extremely high expectations there is always a chance that you will be left slightly underwhelmed after playing it. Not because the course is poor but simply because you were expecting so much. For me one sign of a truly great course is when you go in with a high expectancy and the course over-delivers. Royal St. George’s did just that and it continues to grow on me with every subsequent play, the most recent in May 2017.

Three years ago my two rounds consisted of completely contrasting weather conditions. An evening practice round in benign, almost dreamy, conditions was utter bliss. The tournament round in a howling wind and a 45 minute period that was probably the most difficult conditions I’ve ever experienced on a golf course, hail stones et al, showed what a brute the course can be. Again bliss! My two rounds were certainly a case of beauty and the beast. And that is perhaps a good analogy for this fascinating course.

In 2017 the weather played ball for both rounds but with two contrasting wind directions and this showcased just how special, memorable and phenomenal England's number one links is. It really is King of Links.

The reason why I think I like Royal St. George’s so much is that it captures everything I love about links golf. Yes, it is a demanding course, especially from the Open tees at 7,200, which requires drives and approaches to be executed almost perfectly for just a glimpse of a birdie putt. However, whilst it certainly has that aura of ‘championship’ links golf there is more than a hint of eccentricity and quirkiness, which for me is the perfect combination.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

July 12, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Played Royal St George's for the second time on the 16th of June. Not impressed at all. In my opinion the less interesting course among the Open rota courses. Do not understand why is so high in the rankings as other links in England such as Birkdale, but also Royal Cinque Ports and Rye, are definitely more challenging and fun to play. Course was not in great conditions, even though starting from this week it will host the Amateur Championship. Probably for this reason pin position were absolute non sense (but green fee was still full...). Staff was absolutely unfriendly and seemed annoyed by the presence of visitor at the course. Will not go again.

June 20, 2017

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Dan Hare
July 14, 2017

I respect your opinion and disappointment in setup, but cannot understand how Sandwich can be a 4 ball course.

A day of two ball, lunch then foursomes here would in my experience be hard to better.

George
September 13, 2017

I expect you had a poor round hence the criticism and the joke-like 4 ball rating. RSG reeks class from the moment one turns down the lane that leads to the clubhouse. The Snug bar was unstuffy and the pro-shop and caddymaster could not have been more welcoming and let's face it those guys must have to endure the full gamut of GCW's on a regular basis. The course is beyond compare: more interesting than Muirfield and St Andrew's Old Course yet more challenging than Lytham, Birkdale and Hoylake rolled in to one. As a test possibly only Royal Troon and a brutish Carnoustie in a three-club wind can come close. RSG gets a six ball rating every time.

EG Ohman
September 18, 2017

Leaving aside our different taste in links golf, I fully understand your frustration with the pin positions of the day and the lack of understanding from the club when you let them know you were not happy (I am only guessing here). I have played Sandwich close to 20 times over a period of over 15 years and only once had less than satisfactory conditions (slow greens full of sand gave me opportunity to score under 80 for the first time, so I chose not to complain). However, I do remember the "the course is full, you have to start from the 10th"-attitude when there were a couple of members on the first tee, but thought that was a thing of the past as they now welcome 4-balls some days and have made other similar concessions to modern times.

I recently played at Royal St George's or as its locally known Sandwich. The first time i played there must have been well over 15 years ago as a junior and the weather was less than favourable with rain coming in sideways. We also received a less than hospitable welcome on that occasion as we tried to order breakfast without having pre ordered or dressed in the appropriate jacket and tie.

I must say that i'd left the course at the back of the pile of places to visit again, however, on my most recent visit i'm delighted to say that i saw the course in all of its majestic glory.

I played it as part of a society with 18 holes in the morning, lunch (wearing the appropriate attire on this occasion) and a round of foursomes in the afternoon.

The weather could not have been better, clear skies, touch of wind to keep us cool and a very chirpy caddy who offered valued insights into how to master this great beast.

Each hole seems to be set on its own individual plot, there is no criss crossing of fairways here and the feeling of space between the holes is vast. You can really feel how the course lends itself to holding The Open. It officially plays as a 70 although there are 2 very long par 4's on each 9 which they also put down on the scorecard as bogey 5's, allowing you to play them as par 5's and taking the course to 72 if you wish, which for most amateur golfers would seem fairer than playing it as a 70 in my opinion. Those 2 holes i fell short of each day even with good drives and second shots.

I wouldn't say there are any weak holes on the course although the closing stretch of 3 or 4 manage to stand out even amongst such esteemed company.

The green fee price is high but i highly recommend taking the plunge and making it a full day of pure indulgence and enjoying the lunch if you can, a spectacular affair. You will have to wear jacket and tie but i treated it as an occasion to dress up rather than a chore. If its your first time i recommend getting a caddy as there are still a few blind shots even after the alterations at the end of the 70's which brought it back onto the Open rota.

I must say i am a convert to Royal St George's traditionally British charms.

June 16, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Played here in 2016, just getting round to an update. A wonderful course and I would rate as the hardest (but fair) I have ever played. Great fun with two rather eccentric caddies. Only denied the 6 balls due to my previously described lack of 'wow' factor also noted at Royal Birkdale. My reviews are harsh, reserving the 6 for truly unforgettable experiences. I can only remember two holes well here one year on. I can remember 14 at Pebble Beach and a similar number at St Andrews. This is a terrific course and highly recommended.

April 26, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

We played here on the 21st March and were lucky to have a nice sunny day. That was only half of it though as we had 15 to 20 mph winds, but isn't that what links golf is all about.

The whole experience was great, we found the place to be friendly and welcoming and while they have areas at times with dress code and for members only I have no problem with that, just enjoyed the beer at the end.

Of course this place is all about the course and I loved it 2 through 9 was a great stretch with 8 standing out to me, this maybe because we played it into the 20 mph wind which made it really hard. On the back nine 15 and the par3 16th were my favourites again because on 16 we were playing into that wind that meant you just had to hit and keep your fingers crossed.

I cannot compare to Royal Birkdale (yet) but have played a number of links around the country and this is easily the best.

March 24, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

The best course in England (although ive only played 45 of top 50). The first hole is the weakest (a shame as weak holes should be tucked away mid round) but there are some quite brilliant holes. Just above Birkdale for me which has 2 "ordinary" holes, perhaps

March 17, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

I rate it overall as one of the best golf courses in England, and a better links course than both Royal Lytham and Royal Birkdale. I have never been a fan of the out and back layout and Sandwich is not one; it provides a superior routing of holes. There are no parallel holes and a constant change in hole direction, which is very important when the wind is up, which it often is.

The day I played at Royal St. George's, the wind was up. The temperature was roughly 50 degrees and the wind was blowing at a sustained 25 mph with higher gusts.

I found three holes at Royal St. George's to be particularly good. The par five 14th hole, "Suez Canal" has out of bounds down the entire right side and a burn/swale in play off the tee. You can't just wail at your second shot, since short of the green there are bunkers on the left side of the fairway and the fairway narrows to about 25 yards. Yet, if you can thread the needle and land in that area you will likely be rewarded with a birdie; otherwise you will pay the price. The fairway bunkers 80 yards short of the green will penalize you if you try to get the ball to the green. Even this close to the hole, you have to just get the ball out as your first priority. It is a hole you really have to use your head to play well.

The #1 handicap hole, the eighth, is a dogleg right and has a very interesting and challenging green complex that is artfully bunkered. Your second shot to the green plays downhill and usually downwind. Very tricky.

The fourth hole, Sahara, has an enormously large bunker on the right side of the hole. You hit from an elevated tee to a fairway that is wildly undulating and the green is even wilder. If you hit long past the green you are in the backyard of a local resident. Definitely a unique hole.

John Sabino is the author of How to Play the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs

November 23, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer

It would be redundant for me to add a review of the course itself, given the illustrious history and pedigree of the club. Plenty of eloquent laudations out there. Bottom line is, within a couple hrs drive from Central London, it is the best golf to be had. Try and pick a windy day to play it for the full links experience, for links golf without wind is like a dish seasoned without salt.

For those who are reading the review and ratings to decide to play it, I would encourage everyone to try and play it more than once, or with a caddy the first time if they want to score. There are many blind tee shots, hidden bunkers, and green designs requiring approaches that have to be aimed at the correct portion. Impossible to achieve on the first occasion, and it gets frustrating as it's easy to lose even a well-struck tee shot that's a bit offline, and also easy to end up three-putting from the wrong part of the green. Links golf indeed, but knowing the lines and greens is key to scoring.

My only (strenuous) gripe about the course is the poor state of the greens on the two occasions I visited it (August of 2015 and Oct 2016), which compelled me write the review. On both trips, the greens had been scarified, and had deep grooves running along virtually all of them. Putting near-parallel to the channels threw the balls offline like gutters, and putting across the grooves slowed the roll considerably as they bumped across the ridges. They were simply not running true, so impossible to score properly. This disappointment was compounded when after the first visit I made it a point to ask about the state of the greens when I booked my second trip, and was only told that the greens had been "over-seeded two weeks ago" but were otherwise in good condition. Not so--I consider scarified greens to be inadequate for true play. Unless the scarified grooves are a permanent fixture of the greens, the lack of transparency by the booking office bordered on disingenuity, or ignorance at the very least. My home club warns all visitors when bookings if the greens have been hollow-tined or in less than optimal condition. A club of RSG's stature should do the same, and either offer a discount when the greens are in suboptimal condition, or risk turning away some business. Despite my frustration, I didn’t bother to complain to the club—given that they had not provided adequate forewarning, I didn't expect a positive response to my complaint. I suppose most visitors would be spell-bound by the setting and rest of the course features, and overlook that aspect of the course.

October 29, 2016