St George's Hill (Red & Blue) - Surrey - England

• Contact in advance – handicap cert required

• Gary Peddie

• Harry Colt

• James Bishop

St George’s Hill Golf Club is the prettiest of the many heathland courses on the Surrey/Berkshire sand belt and, in our opinion, one of the very best. In 1911, a local builder came up with an original idea to build luxury fairway-side houses and by chance, Harry Colt was the chosen architect. The course opened for play in 1913 and it is considered to be Colt’s greatest work.

The most notable difference between St George’s Hill and the heathland layouts in this area is the terrain. The land here sweeps and undulates like a rollercoaster and Harry Colt used these dramatic elevation changes superbly in his design.

At this stage, it is worth pointing out that there are three loops of nine holes, called Red, Blue and Green. At one time, St George’s Hill was a 36-hole complex but sadly, no longer. The main course is comprised of the Red nine and the Blue nine, the Green nine is somewhat shorter.

The spectacular panorama from the front of the clubhouse, or the pavilion as it was originally called, totally whets your appetite. It is one of those views that grabs you and makes your heart pound in excited anticipation. You cannot help but want to get out onto the first tee as quickly as possible.

Opening up is a super 384-yard par four played from an elevated tee. A good drive will leave your tee shot at the bottom of a valley, your approach will then need to be struck steeply up the hill to an inviting green that waits patiently at the top.  The 2nd hole is even better, a brutal 458-yard par 4, a blind drive over the brow of a hill will leave a tough approach shot from a hanging lie which must carry a stream on its way to a distant raised green.  And so it goes on, with many more memorable holes, especially the par threes. In fact there isn’t a single weak hole here at St George’s Hill.

Amongst the grandiose setting is inherent charm and beauty. The houses beside the fairways have style and never impose; if anything, they are complementary and add to the amazing St George’s Hill experience.

Reviews for St George's Hill (Red & Blue)

Description: The spectacular golfing panorama from the front of the St George's Hill clubhouse is a view that grabs you and makes your heart pound... Rating: 5.4897959183673 out of 6

As long as golf is played the debate about which is the best Surrey heathland course will rage.

It's a puzzle that will never be solved because it's such a subjective question. However, what is certain is that St. George's Hill will always be a contender. And a very strong one at that.

Harry Colt has once again created a golf course that takes the golfer on an amazing journey throughout the 18 holes. At times the pace quickens and sets the pulse racing. At other periods the exploration of the course slows but only to once again intensify to another crescendo.

The course winds its way through a very exclusive neighbourhood and gets off to a flying start, under the shadow of the magnificent clubhouse, with a thrilling drive across a valley to a rising fairway before you play to a green tucked away at the top of the climb.

It's difficult not to wax lyrical about how good St. George's Hill is. And it's aptly right up there with the best England has to offer.

In many ways it's poetic golf. The setting is bordering on surreal and the route the course chooses takes you on a fascinating journey through the pines and heather.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

June 26, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer
I am in no way knocking St George's Hill, I still give it 6 balls. But what I will say is that when they updated the bunkering here, they took out some critically strategic Colt bunkers, and I honestly feel it is over bunkered now. It felt a bit detracted from the beautiful land that it is draped across. I can no longer class this as a Colt classic, just an amazing days golf, definitely deserving of its rise in the rankings. Although compared to Ganton, Woodhall Spa and Sunningdale New it loses out in the strategy stakes. Don't forget to play the green course, this is now the most fun at St George's Hill.
March 19, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer
Like Walton Heath on steeroids! Played in July 2015 on what proved to be the hottest day on record. Stunning rollercoaster layout with all the top elements of heathland courses thrown in. First hole is stunning and there then isn’t a single weak hole on the Front 9. Back 9 also great, in fact the Par 3 11th was the only hole I didn’t like as was just very quirky and random. More than anything it’s just an amazingly pleasant place to be, it’s pretty, peaceful and surrounded by awesome houses, even if half of them are being rebuilt as neo-Georgian monstrosities. Despite not being very long it was tricky enough for a first timer; a lot of the approaches had changes in elevation to very firm greens and there weren’t many flat putts. I wouldn’t stake much money on playing to my handicap if I came again, which I hope I will!
July 03, 2015

See other reviews from this reviewer
I played the Red/Blue on a clear breezy day in May '15. The golf and hospitality staffs were both very efficient and welcoming. The course itself was a textbook of classic heathland design, including tee shots which were less hazardous than they appeared from the tee, elevated greens requiring careful club selection (and execution!) and clever bunkering (both greenside and oftentimes 50-75 yards short of the green). Lots of up and down walking to the tees and greens, so being in reasonable shape isn't a bad idea. I felt like I'd climbed Everest after my round, but happy to have done so. Very good greens and fairway conditioning. A real treat for the serious golfer, and frankly a bit under the radar compared to some of the other renowned British courses around London. Well worth the L135 visitor green fee. Not the easiest place to find, even once you're inside the security gate of the posh George's Hill residential community, so allow time to get there! The clubhouse is easily one of the most impressive in the world.
May 21, 2015

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
I played here on a very sunny Friday in March and I have to say the whole party thoroughly enjoyed the round. We started on the Red and then played the Blue and saw no one else on our round. I think that the main point of this course was that there are no weak holes, it just keeps rolling on as a strong hole after strong hole and then you get to 6,7,8 and 9 of the blue which is just a lovely run of holes, be warned it is hard to focus on the green at the 7th as you start to get the views of the 8th which is just a great, great hole. Additionally to this, at first we were concerned that the greens had been treated recently, however they still ran completely true and lightening fast, a slight lapse in concentration and you will three putt. The pro in the shop was great good advise and made us feel welcome, and the starter provided all the information needed to help with the round. We also played the green nine which is worth the extra time to play, not as good as the blue and red, however there are some good holes, 7 and 8 and right up there with the best from the blue and red. We are taking a trip to Portugal in a few months and playing some of the big courses like San Lorenzo, but I am not sure it will be able to top St George's Hill.
March 14, 2015

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
St. George’s Hill is certainly one of the more underrated courses in the area surrounding London. Set on a fantastically undulated site this heathland gem also possesses one of the most extravagant and castle-like clubhouses you have ever seen. Yet it all works perfectly giving you the correct impression that you have arrived and are being honored to play someplace really special.From the first fairway till the 18th I truly enjoyed this course and have it high on my list for a return visit. It’s one of my favorite courses around London and possesses a brilliant routing on a very hilly site. Among my favorite holes are the classic par 3 3rd their signature hole, their par 3 11th and both finishing holes 9 and 18 that play up towards the club house. I would love to play St. George’s Hill during a dry spell when it’s playing firm and fast, in fact that would be one of my only critiques if I had to make one. The course played much more like a parkland course than a true heathland.
September 28, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
As Bernard Darwin wrote 'it is a wonderful place. There is nowhere where the green glades of fairway radiate quite so picturesquely the fir-woods, nowhere where the clubhouse is quite so ideally perched on a hill-top'.I had the pleasure of playing the course on a beautiful sunny Saturday evening when there were but a handful of others about. Despite having read about the course l was not prepared for the elevation changes, which Colt used perfectly in routing the course. Wonderful course.
June 22, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
I played here last week after sampling the undoubted golfing delights of nearby Wentworth. I’m really glad that I got the chance to play the three courses at an illustrious resort which offers a rather unique, top end golf experience, however… after a couple of days in such a corporate golf environment, it was great to escape to a nearby course that simply bowled me over!! I’d been advised by a couple of people whose opinion I respect who thought I just might like St George’s Hill so I expected it to be very good. What I wasn’t prepared for was discovering just HOW good a place it was, encountering relentlessly good golf, one hole after another, with no sign of St George's Hill Golf Course - Photo by reviewerweakness showing anywhere. Granted, it’s not the longest of tracks, thanks mainly to having only two par fives on the card, though a total length of 6324 yards from the regular yellow tees is not to be sniffed at. Playing corridors are generally wide and forced carries are manageable, nevertheless, there are plenty of bunkers in place to catch wayward shots. The layout of the Red and Blue nines across such an undulating landscape must surely be regarded amongst the very best of Harry Colt’s work – and what a fantastic climax to the routing of both circuits with home greens benched into the hillside under the imposing clubhouse. As for the par threes, they’re as fine a set of short holes that I have ever come across (the two on the Green nine are absolute belters as well) and the visually stunning 8th hole (pictured) goes straight into my eclectic list of top 18 holes played in England. I walked the Green nine after my round to see what I’d missed by not playing all 27 holes at SGH and can only say that if a couple of the holes can be revitalised (the bland par five 4th, in particular) by the design firm that’s currently reviewing the property then this will undoubtedly raise the profile of the club even higher. Double checking the Red/Blue’s current ranking position, I’ve just noticed that it actually occupies a place in this website’s World Top 100 chart – what a fantastic achievement to be included in such a distinguished listing. Some might also term it well deserved. Jim McCann
June 09, 2014

Dave Finn
June 18, 2014
Great review of an outstanding golf course. Not to be missed.
So, back to St George's Hill for my third visit and for none other than the county championships. This is fast becoming my favourite golf course. It is achingly pretty and is in fine condition. It is quite simply a wonderful place to play golf. You don't have to fight this course, If you hit good shots it seems to help them along a bit but if you miss there are plenty of opportunities to bleed. It flows elegantly from hole to hole. The routing is beautiful. Much has been written below and above about this course and I can attest it all to be true. It is in excellent condition, as ever. I shall say no more. Apart from the fact I can't believe I was contemplating missing the mens open here because the county championships were here this year. Madness. JCB Lay
June 02, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
Driving into the St George’s Hill Estate you experience an air of exclusivity that you might feel will translate into a cold welcome, but I found that far from the reality. The pro informed me the course was reasonably empty so my round would be one of ‘millionaires golf’. With the exception of myself, that may have been literally the case here. I liked the way the red and blue nines start and conclude right by each other and all within sight of the impressive red brick clubhouse, which must allow the members conveniently to play a quick nine holes of a summer evening. It shows how well considered the use of land was by HS Colt in designing the layout. His career is considered so favourably today in no small part due to the quality parcels of land he received when designing so many courses and this is no exception. And what heathland topography he was been presented with: there are enough undulations to keep any golfer exhilarated and befuddled in equal measure. The heather is mercifully not as abundant as at other Surrey classics, with no real forced carries on already long holes. This may change in future years however with heather regeneration projects already in place. The fairways are wide enough so as to be not too intimidating, although optimum position will make the approaches easier to pins almost universally located near the edges of the greens. This was a slight disappointment as I fall into the old school camp of believing that any course should be set up with a variety of pin positions, (roughly 6 difficult, 6 straightforward and 6 somewhere in between). The greens run true, at a lovely pace, despite still showing some evidence of hollow tine marks. Many of the green sites rise up from the fairway but all look uncontrived, blending seamlessly with the terrain, although that is often the case with courses that have been around for almost a century. The par3s offer great variation in shape, elevation and length. The 11th at just 107 yards from the yellows, and with a breeze behind, shows that length isn’t essential for challenge as a nice clipped wedge is still required to hold the putting surface. Good iron play is a distinct advantage with many of the greens being multi-tiered or crowned, or a bit of both. The par5s are good, if a little on the short side, it’s just a shame there are only two of them. The etiquette of all golfers there was such that the round was over in seemingly no time at all, even having stopped to smell the flowers and photograph many of the endless stunning vistas. I played St George’s Hill a little while ago but have held back on writing a review. I trust my delay in writing has tempered my rose-tinted view of the course. However, it is difficult to not be overly effusive about this wonderful track. I must say this is easily my preferred inland course in England although Walton Heath is the only higher-ranked course I have played. It now assumes the place of The Addington as my favourite inland English course. Given that I preferred St George’s Hill to Walton Heath (a course ranked in the World top100) this Surrey beauty must merit a 6 ball rating.
September 07, 2012