Thracian Cliffs - Bulgaria

Bulgaria

• Claudio Marini

• Gary Player

• Hansjoerg Lumpi

The golf course at Thracian Cliffs Golf & Beach Resort is located on the northern Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria and it’s a Black Knight signature design that opened in 2011.

BlackSeaRama was Gary Player’s first Bulgarian ensemble and the layout has already received positive accolades. But his Thracian Cliffs is set to become the most talked about and the most photographed golf course in Europe.

The course is routed, hole after hole, along the cliffs on magical land of the once powerful Thracian kingdoms. The setting is pure theatre and Gary Player is quite rightly enthusiastic about the site.

“You will not find another golf course like this anywhere on the planet”, commented the Black Knight. “Pebble Beach is renowned as the best site and I would say Thracian Cliffs is twice as good as Pebble Beach.”

“I have to say, without a question of doubt, that I have never before played on a golf course where you can see the ocean on every single hole. When people come here, they are going to say Thracian Cliffs is the best golf course they have ever played in their life. I have been playing for 56 years and I never knew there was ground like this on the planet for a golf course.”

Every new golf course requires a period of settling and growing in, but Thracian Cliffs headed our Bulgarian golf course rankings soon after it opened and will surely rise even higher in our future Continental European rankings... especially after the 2013 World Match Play Championship, won by Graeme McDowell, which showcased the course to a worldwide audience.

Reviews for Thracian Cliffs

I shall write this review in two parts. Firstly the course, then the resort.The course gets 6 balls. No doubt about it. The photos you see are exactly how it appears, there is no trick of the camera here. All 18 holes are fantastic. You cannot be disappointed. We played the course 3 times, and it was interesting how much easier the course became once you knew the landing spots, where the safe areas were and so on. The closest comparison I can make is Monte Rei. Not because the two courses are exactly alike, but because the design between tees, the buggy only layout, the vista which welcomes you on each tee, I've played both and there are likenesses.Secondly, the resort. With local knowledge now known, I would not have stayed here. Unless you like eating in the same restaurants in the same close-knit resort night after night, this is not for you. There are some nearby towns with good local restaurants that are a far better bet. These are far more accessible from the Lighthouse resort. So in hindsight, I'd have stayed at the Lighthouse resort, and travelled out from there each night.
October 03, 2015

1 person found this review helpful and 2 did not
Miles weaver
May 23, 2016
A fantastic review, thanks.
Given its spectacular setting and the glorious weather my group enjoyed it sounds almost churlish of me to disagree with these other reviews of fulsome praise for the course. But disagree I must.

The course is quirky to say the least and Gary Player has done extremely well to fit 18 holes in given the nature of the terrain- it is built into the side of a cliff face. Maybe it was because we played it at the tail end of the season but the greens were average at best and the tee boxes downright poor. Factor in that you can lose sleeves of balls that either tumble down the cliff face into the Black Sea or disappear into swathes of thorn bushes and this is certainly no place for the average holiday golfer with a high handicap. Given the layout, with some extremely long rides (this is a buggy only track) between green to the next tee box not helped by the lack of on course signage, this is also a course that will take at least five hours to play. A group of Rumanian businessmen took seven hours to reach the 14th tee the day before we played. Our group of eight, with three single figure handicappers in, contrived to lose over 80 balls on our first round. Fortunately the drinks buggy, which routinely sold out of beer and chocolate before it reached us, never runs out of extra sleeves of balls.

For a really enjoyable, fair and well designed course I much preferred Player’s first venture on the Black Sea coast, namely BlackSeaRama which may have a number of largely, ugly buildings dotted around its perimeter but is altogether a far better and fairer test of golf.

Thracian Cliffs is a fun one-off experience with some stunning tee shots as well as a couple of downright daft ones, no more so than the long par three sixth where one launches a ball over the side of the cliff and watch as it plummets either onto the green or else is lost forever. Vertigo sufferers may well want to skip it completely and head for the seventh where one simply has a 175 metre carry over the sea before reaching the fairway.

Finally, there is the soulless clubhouse that is situated in the residential village where most players stay. There are plans to move this to a bigger property that overlooks the course and this would certainly improve things. The current establishment is a good par four length walk from the 18th green which wholly negates Thracian Cliffs’ biggest asset, namely the stunning beauty of its setting. I am happy to have played it but disappointed that I was not more impressed with what could and should be a remarkable golfing experience for the better player. Maybe October is simply too late in the year to see the place at its best.
November 10, 2014

1 person found this review helpful and 2 did not
Jean marc
August 15, 2015
I have to agree with you. The course is beautifull and fun to play. handicap 9.8, I enjoyed playing it,(lost only 2 balls). the fairways and green were in great conditions.Really a gorgeous and great course to play at least one time (we played it twice). The views are breathtaking.But yes,it is soulless! The club house is across the street from the proshop,nowhere to have a drink with view on the course. We played all major courses in Bulgaria during a 17 days holidays. Blacksearama is not bad, but I do prefere Thracian. Big dispointement with lighthouse (not worth the money). For me, best course in Bulgaria is Pravets golf resort.
I arrived a little sceptical of how good this course could be, not paying any attention to Gary Players comments about being in the top 3 courses on the planet (because he always gets carried away with how good he thinks his courses are) Well, I was pretty impressed. I am lucky enough to have played golf around the world (mostly Scotland, Ireland, South Africa and the USA) and Thracian Cliffs really is a very good course, set along, between, on top of, and besides the spectacular cliffs - not top 3 in the world, but very good none the less. It is a very tough course (and I played only from the second hardest tees) and I would suggest playing for the pure fun of it and not trying to keep a score, as this might ruin your day. Take some risks, try to make some of the carries over the cliffs and play fun, tough golf for the sheer hell of it!!!
June 28, 2014

See other reviews from this reviewer
Spectacular , brilliant, breath takingthe best i have ever played (and probably will)I cannot understand why this course is ranked in the thrity's of Europe.I have played other courses in the top 10 and this one is mutch better.congratulations to Gary Player the designer
October 11, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
I can only concur with the previous reviews. We played this course last September and it is a golfing experience like no other. You arrive on a number of tees and the carry looks impossible. It is not. But the shot is intimidating in the extreme. A look at the card shows that on the back tees you are expected to play about 13 over your handicap!! But it is hugely enjoyable and does not feel unfair. Gary Player has created one of the world’s great courses and if it is not the best I have played it is in the top few and my list includes the Ailsa, Kingsbarns, Eichenheim amongst others. Just one word of caution. Take care if you do not have a head for heights. I missed the 4th green to the right of the greenside bunker. This left me with a chip over the bunker to the green. The shot was played with my back foot about 4 inches from the cliff edge with a drop of over 100 feet to the sea below. Needless to say I did not step back to admire my shot. Clean trousers please!!
April 22, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
Had heard many great reviews on this course and travelled there with massive expectations.It did not disappoint on any levels .Truly world class and i can say that as a golf pro who has played many of the worlds great courses.The views are out of this world not on just a couple of holes but from every hole.The holes are beautifully designed ,challenging but if you pick the right tee very playable.Believe the hype this place is really that good ,a must play for any golfer.
June 17, 2012

See other reviews from this reviewer
If you only take one golf holiday this year then head to Bulgaria and Thracian Cliffs Golf Resort .it is where drama meets nature meets golf. The greens are gigantic the vistas spectacular and the golf is stunning. To illustrate: The 6th hole 230 yds from the tips par three “signature” , the green 60 yards below looking like a postage stamp surrounded by the Black Sea hitting off the top of a cliff and the hang time seems like minutes. The 7th go out to the white tees across a bridge onto an island in the sea, prepare to hit a drive over 200yds at an angle to hit a narrow fairway leaving a second to an elevated green 25yds above you. Next to the 8th a tight tee shot to a narrow banked fairway par four to a hidden green added by the knowledge that the previous green had fallen into the sea over the winter golf versus the forces of nature. To the 9th a long par four with a giant fairway bunker, cliffs to the right, and a ravine to the left. And a two tiered green again heavily bunkered to try and hit with a long iron. Now a buggy ride to the elevated 10th tee box were you can see the fairways of holes 7 and 9 running below you in parallel to the sea.

If you want spectacular golf on a course the like you will never have played with the sea visible from every hole then this is the place for you, this course provides everything you could wish for. the tee boxes are generous to allow all standards a good game of golf, the fairways are generous but do require accuracy to score well and the greens are heavily bunkered and are quite literally huge at least two clubs front to back. In essence though it is the nature of the course that makes it so exhilarating the cliffs, the sea, the feeling of beauty that you get from playing here, it is a marvel and as Gary Player says on the promo video before starting out its going to be a lot of fun, he’s not wrong.
May 06, 2012

See other reviews from this reviewer
Everyone told me that I am crazy to go Bulgaria to play golf. But I wanted to play Thracian Cliffs and I can advise everyone to play this course. I have never seen cliff top views like this before. Gary Player has made a masterpiece. I’ve played a few hundred golf courses and I think Thracian Cliffs should be in the Top 100 of the World with a very high place. Even for someone who does not play golf it is fantastic for a walk! I played Black Sea Rama as well, also a fantastic course. Both are more then worth playing!
August 26, 2011