Founded in 1955, the Glasgow Golf Union represents 31 clubs whose members play on 18 different courses. Cawder’s two 18-hole layouts – the Cawder and the Keir – sit side by side in Bishopbriggs, while Glasgow’s two courses, Killermont and Gailes, are situated 35 miles apart because the latter is located on the Ayrshire coast.
The City Council of Glasgow has a proud tradition of promoting golf within its Parks department and it operates half a dozen courses around the municipality; three 9-holers and three full 18-hole layouts – many of the members at the private clubs in and around Glasgow will have learned to play the game at the likes of the City Council’s Lethamhill or Littlehill courses.
Glasgow Golf Club is the 9th oldest in the world, having formed in 1787, and its members have played at a number of venues down the years. They moved initially from Glasgow Green to Queen’s Park in 1870 then onto Alexandra Park four years later. In 1895 they decamped to Blackhill before finally settling at Killermont nine years later.