Established in 1924, the course at Florence Country Club occupies a very constricted 77-acre property which has hosted two USGA events: the Girls’ Junior Championships in 1955 and the Junior Amateur Championship in 1963.
Set to the north of its older sibling, the longer of the two 18-hole layouts at Forest Highlands Golf Club, Tom Weiskopf’s Meadow course debuted in 1999, twelve years after the unveiling of his Canyon course co-design with Jay Morrish.
Completely surrounded by housing, with a road and railway track cutting through the property, the old Tom Bendelow course at Golden Valley Country Club does its very best to keep the modern world at bay.
Founded in 1892 as Fairfield County Golf Club, making it one of the oldest in America, the club subsequently changed its name to Greenwich Country Club then called in Seth Raynor to redesign the original 18-hole layout.
Founded in 1916, Gulph Mills Golf Club had an 18-hole layout in play three years later, once Donald Ross had built the course for the membership. Unusually, the modern day course retains a short set of par five holes.
William Watson is an unheralded Golden Age architect who designed numerous courses (primarily in California) and one of his best is the Hacienda Golf Club nestled among the trees and streams of La Habra Heights.
A 27-hole facility, the Red and Blue nines at the Hartford Golf Club are often combined to form the premier 18-hole course. That’s not to say that the 9-hole Green circuit is any way inferior, however.
Set out at an altitude of 7,600 feet above sea level in the mountains to the west of Denver, the course at Hiwan Golf Club is a Press Maxwell design from the early 1960s which is well-known locally for its challenging greens.
The course at Lake Merced Golf Club has endured plenty of significant architectural input since Willie Lock first constructed it in 1923. Alister MacKenzie in 1929, Robert Muir Graves in the 1960s then Rees Jones in 1996.
Located close to the Connecticut state line, the 18-hole layout at Longmeadow Country Club is divided by a main road with holes 2 to 9 laid out on the north side and the remainder set out on the other side.