With many holes lined by trees, six US Opens and one Ryder Cup under its belt, the South course at Oakland Hills Country Club should be treated with respect.
Apart from the North course, Olympia Fields Country Club owns the world’s largest clubhouse, which took two years to build and cost a whopping $1.3 million way back in 1925.
Featuring a William Langford-designed layout from 1922, the course at Ozaukee Country Club remains a very solid test of golf, even after nine decades of play.
Founded in 1900, Phoenix Country Club moved to its present location in 1919. Thirty-seven editions of the Phoenix Open were held here up until 1986. The last substantive renovation was carried out by John Fought and Tom Lehman early in the new millennium.
Venue for the PGA Championship in 1937, the course at Pittsburgh Field Club is a rather hilly and much-modified Alex Findlay design from 1915.
Venue for the PGA Championships in 1947, the course at Plum Hollow Country Club was originally set out in 1921 by C. H. Alison. The Rouge River running through the property affects all but a couple of holes.
Ben Hogan claimed his first Major title here at Portland Golf Club, winning the 1946 PGA Championship. The following year the club played host to the Ryder Cup that nearly didn’t happen...
Set close to downtown San Francisco, the Presido Golf Course dates back more than 100 years. It’s a popular facility that winds over hilly ground between stately pines and eucalyptus.
The course at Red Run Golf Club is a Tom Bendelow design dating back to 1914, with Willie Park Jnr making revisions soon after it debuted. Featuring five par threes and five par fives, the layout now extends to 6,887 yards.
The golf course at River Oaks Country Club sits on rather flat ground next to the winding waters of Buffalo Bayou. It’s an old Donald Ross design from 1924 that was revamped by Rees Jones in the 1990s and renovated by Fazio Design in 2015.