Review for Abama

I played the Abama course on a warm sunny day on the 10th November 2010, my father had played there before and said I was in for a treat and he wasn’t wrong! Quite simply this is one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played, and without question is also one of, if not the hardest I have played. Being single figure handicappers we played it off the white tees which were playing over 600 yards longer than the yellow tees and on certain holes you really noticed the difference, it wasn’t uncommon to be hitting long irons or 3 woods for our 2nd shots on par 4’s and I would class myself as a reasonably long hitter of the golf ball, it tested me to my limits and was all the more enjoyable as a result.

The views you get of the Atlantic are incredible and it’s difficult not to get distracted on most of the holes. The condition of the course was superb and the greens were very true and fast, and no matter how many times I allowed for the break towards the ocean I still managed to misjudge just how much break there was, some of the breaks are so subtle you can scarcely believe it. Off the whites 3 of the par 3’s were playing over 200 yards long so we invariably had over 30ft putts for birdie (or par!) which were made all the more difficult by the breaks and speed of the greens.

Some of the landing areas off the tee are so narrow with sloping fairways and out of bounds that I decided to hit 3 wood off most of the tees, you can certainly get away with driver but as I said certain holes have narrow landing areas with well placed bunkering, it is definitely a course you have to plot your way round. Buggies are compulsory which I don’t normally like but there is no way you could walk the course, it is very hilly in places and some of the distances between green and tee are a fair distance. Certain holes had fresh fruit on the tees which was a nice touch.

This is an expensive course to play at 200 euros but in my opinion is worth every penny, the views alone justify the price tag and fortunately they are backed up by a superbly conditioned golf course where no two holes are the same and if I could play this course every week my golf game would improve significantly, not to mention it was a benign day when we played and can only imagine how difficult the course plays when the wind is up! In terms of challenge and playability I would rate this along with any of the Top courses I have played in the UK, and given half a chance I would take the 4 hr flight to Tenerife just to play this course again, superb!

Date: November 15, 2010