Review for Aberdovey

AberdoveyI played Aberdovey with my father in law last week on holiday on a sunny afternoon in a 2-3 club wind, coming off the sea so not really helping on any hole. I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed the round, and the course ranks as one of the best I have played. I love links having grown up at Saunton and this compares very favourably with there, Royal St David's, Ashburnham and Royal Porthcawl. I loved the bunkers with their uncut grass fringes, the holes were all different and memorable. The par 3s were all different and challenging, particularly the 9th and 12th, which had just opened again following the storm damage. There was still water on the course, but that is to be expected after the winter we have had, and the overnight storms we experienced. The condition of the course was excellent. The par 4s were varied, and the par 5s were a welcome birdie opportunity (not that I took advantage). Great value for money as just £37.50 at that time of day. Welcoming pro shop. Beautiful surroundings. Aberdovey has it all, and is thoroughly recommended. Our holiday cottage overlooked the 17th so the course was calling out to me the whole week, it's just a shame we only got to play the once. I will be back...

Date: April 11, 2014