The Addington - Surrey - England

Addington,
Croydon,
Surrey,
CR0 5AB

If you've never visited The Addington Golf Club and Mr Spock beamed you onto the first tee, you would never believe you were a mere ten miles from the centre of London. The Addington is an extraordinary heathland golfing paradise. It's a course which has remained virtually unchanged since J.F. Abercromby, the man behind Worplesdon, designed it back in 1914. Many believe the Addington is Abercromby's finest creation. Photo sent in by Philip Kidby

In the early days, The Addington boasted two golf courses, the Old and the New - 36 of the finest golf holes in England, as good, if not better than Sunningdale. Unfortunately, the New course no longer exists; a housing estate now stands in its place.

The current course is an idiosyncratic affair, with rickety trestle bridges spanning glorious heathland dells. Mature pine and birch trees provide a wonderful feeling of intimacy. It really is a delightful place to be, especially in the winter, because the sandy course drains perfectly and remains bone dry underfoot.

The course measures slightly more than 6,300 yards and opens up with a challenging par three. The 5th hole is a long par four with a slight dogleg to the left. An accurate tee shot is required to the right to the left-sloping fairway. A hanging lie is often the order of the day for the second shot, which is uphill to a well-guarded green. Take plenty of club for the approach shot, which is usually longer than it looks.

Bernard Darwin was a lover of The Addington, especially the new course, which as we have already said, sadly no longer exists. The course we play today remains witness to Abercromby's skill. Or as Darwin said in his book, Golf Between Two Wars: "He had admirable material, the country of sand and heather and birch trees, and with what an artistic eye he used it!"

Reviews for The Addington

Description: The Addington Golf Club is a natural inland golfing paradise, with plenty of heather, pine, bracken and silver birch. Very little has changed since the club was founded in 1914. Rating: 7.6 out of 10 Reviews: 56
Phil Ree

The Addington gets varied reviews these days and I can why. It has a big reputation and it’s relatively expensive, so it’s normal to visit with high hopes.

There was a mix up with my booking but thankfully as I’d requested an evening tee time they let me on. The practice putting green is one of the best I’ve played on, and there are new nets and mats allowing for a suitable warm up. I don’t mind the first hole, some people may not like a par 3 to start but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It has a small green with two tiers so it’s not easy.

I half-disagree with some people’s views saying that the first few holes are forgettable. They are solid, challenging and fairly scenic but it depends what you’re after – you don’t feel like you’re on a heathland course, and that dry, bouncy heathland turf is intermittent. Length, trees and fast greens are the main defence.

The 6th is where it gets more dramatic. I hit a woeful tee shot so tried to play safe and leave my ball short of the green on this short par 4. Except there’s a hidden pit short-right, including a bunker as deep as any I’ve seen. From this hole on it really felt like local knowledge or guidance would have helped - The Addington is a tough, penal course.

Perhaps I’m being harsh (or I’m merely a bad golfer) but a few holes felt a bit unfair. 8 is blind and has no marker, 9 is similarly hit and hope, 12’s blind but the fairway ends <200 yards, has nearly no lay up area, then 16 is another narrow par 5 with no bail out… It’s all picturesque however, especially the southern side of the course with its ravines, fir trees, bracken, a little heather, plus those quaint bridges you’ve likely seen photographed. It doesn’t feel like suburban London. Just don’t be greedy from the tee and try to take a map of some sort.

All 18 greens were in excellent condition, the tees were all decent but a few fairways were slightly shabby. I don’t mind that but for such a green fee you expect a bit more. I did admittedly have a discount, so all was forgiven but I’d feel dismayed if paying full whack. I’ve seen reports here and elsewhere of litter and rocks – I’m happy to report I had no such issues.

The final hole is so-so, again I’ve seen complaints but it’s definitely not bad. It does feel more woodland than heathy, though it does have some of that firm ground which makes chipping difficult. I guess it could all feel more ‘grand’, I’m not very well travelled but it feels like I’ve played better parkland and heathland layouts.

It’s largely memorable, it’s hard, the heath parts are aptly wild but I think The Addington’s prestige, price and ranking tarnishes views like mine. It is probably the best course in that corner of London/Surrey but try to avoid the full green fee if possible.

June 24, 2019

Freddie

I was looking forward to playing the Addington and it was a slight disappointment as I was expecting it to be top quality looking at its position in the UK rankings. In my opinion it is lucky just to get in the top 100 in the UK and possibly even in England.

There were aspects about the Addington that I liked. One positive is that the bunkering on this course is excellent, the par 3 11th is a perfect example of the beautiful bunker display they have, into a small narrow green. In addition to this I thought the greens were of a good standard, they were true and pretty quick which made the round a lot more enjoyable.

Good holes that I really liked the look of would have to be the par 3 11th, a fantastic short par 3 with a small green to aim at and well protected by bunkers. Unfortunately on the day I played it was playing at least a 3 club wind, so despite it being a 145 yard hole, we still needed to hit a long iron to get there! Another great par 3 was the 13th hole, which is a staggering 230 yards from the back. An accurate tee shot is required as anything left would find you in the bunkers or bushes and anything right would leave you in the bunker or a downhill shot, making it very hard to get up and down. However my favourite hole would have to be the par 4 14th as it had possibly one of my favourite views. When standing up on the tee, it overlooks the entirety of central London and the aiming point is directly at the Shard with a little fade on it! The tee shot truly is spectacular and definitely one that you want to save in your memory.

Unfortunately there are a few negatives of this golf course which is why I think it is lucky to have the ranking that it has. Just in general, there are multiple holes at the Addington which simply I think aren't special and make the course look bang average, Holes 1-6 are standard and wouldn't look out of place at a 2/3 ball rated course. The first hole is simply the weirdest starting hole you may play as it just isn't really in the right place to be an opening hole. Admittedly holes 7-17 are great and make the course a lot better but the final hole goes back to the beginning and isn't up to standard like the middle section of the course.

All in all, The Addington is a decent course however I think its lucky to be ranked 35th in England compared to courses around it like West Hill and Hindhead which are levels above here. Nonetheless it is still a nice course in good condition and it was a fun round.

June 08, 2019

tamas

It’s late April, a glorious warm sunny Easter Monday bank holiday and the clubhouse was almost empty. This should have been a warning, the run-down clubhouse perhaps another warning, but I was there for golf not apres-golf. Once out on the course however, it became apparent that all is not well. The greens were bobbly and needed cutting, some were receptive and some rock hard. Some fairways were in such a poor state that you couldn’t differentiate it from the rough. The tees were bumpy, uncut and poorly maintained. We could see some bunker renovation work was ongoing, but the new turf hadn’t been adequately watered and looked to be dying. There was some evidence of tree clearing – a good sign but a huge amount more is needed. At this time of the year other courses are lush and green, but here the grass was patchy, overgrown and unkempt.

But I could see how this could be a decent course. After a solid but unspectacular start, the 6th is an interesting short par 4, with the green well protected by a ravine front right, and then 7-9 are stunning.

The 7th is an attractive short par 3 over a small ravine. The pin was at the front when we played, 126 yards away. My sweetly struck wedge looked good in the air, pitched a couple of feet from the flag and then bounced over the green. If I had landed the ball 3 or 4 yards shorter it still would have gone over the back, 7 or 8 yards shorter and it would have been in the ravine in front of the green. A nice hole spoilt by poor greens maintenance. At least I got up and down.

The 8th is a tough hole, a sharp dogleg left that requires you to hit a blind tee shot hugging the treeline on the left side as the fairway slopes off to the right. Too far left and the ball is lost in the trees, but my tee shot was too far right and the slope carried it 50 yards right of where it pitched. Short of the green, the hog’s back fairway drops off steeply on both sides, encouraging you to take the aerial route instead of running the ball in. A ravine filled with gorse awaits any approach that goes long or right of the green. I found the heart of the green with a hybrid from 250 yards (it’s a blind shot so don’t ask me how I did this), but my playing partner hit a perfect tee shot then couldn’t believe it when his sweet iron approach into the middle of the green rolled over the back to be lost forever. It’s a brutal hole.

The 9th is a spectacular hole, driving over a ravine off the tee and then another carry to get to the green. It’s a shame the trees obstruct the views. The same could be said of 13 – an intimidating 230 yard par 3 that could really benefit from a tree clearing programme to open up the views.

Before that comes the 12th, a real marmite hole. Whether you choose to lay up on this short par 5 or go for it, the outcome is reliant on luck more than successful execution of your strategy. For me, that’s just a rubbish design.

Overall, there are some great holes here, but also some average ones. It’s a really tight tree lined course that punishes you if you stray, and such a small margin for error probably explains why the SSS is 3 over the par of 69. But right now, this course doesn’t deserve to be in the top 100. I’d give it 4 balls for design, 1 or 2 for conditioning.

May 01, 2019

Dan

I’ve played The Addington a couple of times over the last 2 years and having worked through almost half of England’s Top 50, I just can’t understand how it’s ranked 35th.

I find it difficult to believe that this course remains in what is otherwise a well-regarded and accurate Top 100 list.

Not only is the quality of the course not up to scratch (slow and diseased greens, poor fairways, stones in bunkers, etc), but the layout and design is just very disappointing with some holes bland and others bordering on the absurd. Hole 12 (par 5) is an example where the fairway stops at about 220 but then has heather down the middle for about 130 yards. The Par 3 7th is arguably the only good hole.

To put it into perspective, it’s ranked ahead of The Berkshire and Southport and Ainsdale, which are far superior golf courses in many respects. It’s also only five places behind Worplesdon and there’s just no comparison.

The Addington is ok if you’re in the area and want a change from the norm, but there will no doubt be some very disappointed golfers travelling and paying pretty steep visitor fees based on its reputation in the Top 100 list.

Hopefully it’s reviewed and re-ranked accordingly this year.

April 27, 2019

BB
April 28, 2019

When Henry Longhurst, one of those old writers from back in the day, suggested “with the possible exception of the 5th at Pine Valley, it’s the greatest one shot hole in inland golf”, he wasn’t actually talking about the Par 3 7th at The Addington, but the 13th.

Interesting how this course design in its entirety (i.e. not just the controversially fantastic/terrible 12th hole) seems to divide opinion

Ori Dittrich

What an utter disappointment!!!

Having seeked out a decent course in the area to play, we came across what is meant to be a top 100 course in the UK.

Having played on a beautiful spring day (other courses in the area being in decent shape), the conditions were simply unacceptable. Fairways and rough were indistinguishable, bunkers littered with rocks and greens bumpy and slow. One wonders what they are doing with your very pricey £100 green fee when other courses in the area charge a fraction and are in much better condition!

The first 6 holes were downright forgettable. The poor condition doesn’t help either. Not taking into consideration the conditions, there are some better holes which follow. The par 3 7th plays over a gorge to a diagonal green sprinkled with bunkers. The par 4 9th is (although very short), a pretty dogleg with the second playing over a gorge into a lovely set green.

The Par 5 12th hole is one of the worst golf holes I have ever played! Talk about the opposite of risk/reward! Your drive needs to either be under 200 yards, or you need to hit and hope your ball isn’t caught by the heather which is sprinkled all the way downhill from 200-350 yards. It’s a blind tee shot so good luck picking a spot! I took driver and was lucky enough to not find the heather, which left me with a wedge 2nd into this stupid par 5. My playing partner played what we thought was a perfectly hit 5 iron straight down the middle which was lost in the heather - what a joke of a hole.

The par 3 13th is a lovely looking hole from the tee box - and a beast of a par 3, having played 230 yards from the back tees on the day! I read that this was ranked one the the best inland par 3 holes. I would have agreed had it not been so poorly maintained. Uneven tee box, bunkers without rakes with hundreds of pebbles and rocks and a green that public courses would have been embarrassed about!

Besides a couple of lovely tee shots with London as the backdrop, nothing to write home about as you finish up your round.

We were both left very deflated after having this course built up by others. The Addington definitely has potential and with a bit of TLC, could be a good day out. However even in tip top condition, I could think of many courses which deserve a top100 spot more than this track!

Louis
April 21, 2019

I played the Addington just a few weeks ago, and have to say our four ball was walking off the course saying pretty much the same thing. The conditioning of the course was as bad as I've seen on any golf course let alone one ranked firmly inside the top 100 of the UK.

Some of the fairway bunkers I saw were littered with large stones, there were leaves from the autumn still obscuring much of the first few cuts of rough, fairways were as long as rough in some places too. Greens not good, and even if given a pass due to treatment recovery; the rest was so woefully bad and in need of serious TLC.

Shame because the course clearly has potential and a fairly lauded past, but how they can even open the course and charge people in the state I saw it is beyond me.

Thomas Dean
April 21, 2019

This seems to be an ongoing theme with The Addington. The course was in very poor condition when I was there at this time last year and this latest review does not indicate any improvement. Other reviews also report lots of litter on the course. Agreed that the course has lots of potential, but some vast improvement in course maintenance is needed if the course wants to maintain top 100 UK status or these negative reviews are just going to continue. Let’s hope the club starts to pay attention.

BB

Talk about an inauspicious start – a fairly tatty uphill par 3. The sweeping second might have been a better option as an opener, but in truth none of the plain sailing opening 4 or 5 holes left much of an impression on us. The Addington gets off on the wrong foot. We’d played Cuddington earlier in the day, and so far that was the better course. It was April and course conditioning was also poor. There was also a fair bit of litter around the course, either wind blown in or left on site. If you’re going to be a low IQ parkland, you could at least be a pretty one, I muttered to myself.

However, this all turned out to be a calm before the perfect storm. Or one of those The Addington Golf Course - Photo by reviewer romantic comedies where the nerdy/bullied heroine puts on a dash of makeup and isn’t quite so bad after all, or that moment when Jerry Lewis’s Nutty Professor drinks one of his own concoctions. Anyway, a great big pit next to the 6th green (quite understandable how anyone could take up residence there) with a walkway across to the 7th teeing area, signaled the change. From here on The Addington is thrilling, challenging, and idiosyncratic in equal measure. Mercurial even. The rest of the round blew by in a variety rich maelstrom of pleasure ‘twixt with pain, until, out of breath, you reach the calm waters of the 18th. This closer brings to mind again the mundane opening few holes.

There are several highlights here and it is difficult to single one out. 12 & 13 was a great Par 5-3 combo, but so was 16 & 17. There were many challenging and exciting shots required. Some nice views of London too on the back 9, and in summer the course must see the odd purple patch. The Addington is pretty rough around the edges and has a slow start, but for a large part it is also brilliant golf and must be one of the better options within the M25.

Review of the Month March 2019

March 04, 2019

Ross Crick

We played the Addington late last August and unfortunately for us this coincided with a late summer storm that rolled in that day. We had the full Galvins on and were still cold and battered by the elements at the end. It is hard to know whether the conditions impacted my view of the course, but I do still think it's a tough course.

The first starts off with a tricky par 3 up a steep slope to a green protected by a big bunker on the right. I agree with other reviewers who have said that the course could do with some tree removal and even the first would be more aesthetically pleasing if this was implemented.

The 7th is a nice little par 3. The 8th is a tricky par 4 where the approach to the green is deceptively difficult to get the club selection right. Visually the fairway narrows as it approaches the green with trouble on both sides. The 9th is a really good hole and very intimidating from the tee. It looks like there's only a slither of fairway beyond the gaping ravine in front of you. Once you've made it to the safety of the fairway, the approach is over another ravine with a cool bridge to the right hand side allowing you to walk to the green. The green and surrounding area look like a huge target to hit but club selection is key to taking advantage of a solid tee shot.

The 11th is a short par 3 but squeaky tee shot as the green is pretty much surrounded by bunkers. We had some fun playing this hole! Plenty of chirping on the tee.

The 12th hole will be the major talking point of the whole round. The Marmite hole. The one people either love or loathe. I personally like the hole but came away very frustrated that I didn't utilise my golfing brain after hitting the perfect tee shot. This par 5 is downward sloping from the tee and doglegs to the left. After about 215 yards from the tee, the fairways slopes dramatically downwards into a mixture of short grass, heather and general trouble. There are patches of fairway interspersed with more trouble between you and the green where everything then slopes back up to a slightly raised green with trees either side. If you've hit a good tee shot the conundrum is whether to hit a long second through the eye of a needle to the green on a par 5, or try and find a patch of fairway with a short iron and then hit another short iron into the green. Although I made a hash of it, I liked the hole but feel there could be a slight concession on having a bit more open ground for a lay up.

After coming off the 12th there's no respite with a 220 yard par 3 which we played into a force 6 wind and rain. The green is a thin target for that length of hole and there is a big bunker to the right hand side of the green and two bunkers to the left at the bottom of a fair drop off. The green slopes from back to front and slightly to the left so it is a very difficult hole. We struck firm 3 woods from the tee that day which was the right club. Whilst it is a difficult hole, it is a cracker to look at from the tee and you have to be all in when you swing!

The 16th is a nice par 5 which requires your second and approach shots to stay on the left hand side, particularly as there's practically a ravine on the right hand side of the green. The 17th is a pretty par 3 with heather, a ravine, a big bunker and an old fashioned bridge leading up to the green, and is a stiff test at about 180 yards, particularly in the conditions we played. Finding the dancefloor gave me a huge adrenaline boost and a feeling that only golfers can empathise with.

The final hole is a quality par 4 that slightly doglegs to the left. You need to avoid a strategically placed fairway bunker and then ideally keep your approach on the right hand side of the green.

I found The Addington to be an excellent course not far from central London and there's a couple of great country pubs nearby to have a post round lunch. In terms of playing a course for the first time and not knowing the lay of the land, it is one of the most difficult that I've played. Due to the long, hot summer, the fairways were patchy but so were all of the other courses we played that week. The greens were very good and ran pretty quickly.

February 28, 2019

Jamie bowie

Having just played the Addington in September 2018 I cannot believe that this makes the top 100 golf courses in England the condition of the fairways even though we have had a dry summer was horrendous the path‘s were shabby to say the least maybe 1 or 2 beautiful looking holes however no better then a public golf course will not be going back there.

September 19, 2018

Niall
September 21, 2018

I'm very suspicious about this review from a first time reviewer who talks as much about the state of the paths as the course. Many clubs are still suffering from issues with their fairways following the long hot summer. a 1-ball rating for The Addington is simply wrong. I'm now ignoring this review.

Andrew Cooke
November 21, 2018

Anybody reading this review should ignore it. The Addington is one of England's classic golf courses, and this reviewer should focus on reviewing driving ranges.

phil crocombe

Greens were in great shape when we played -running at a good smooth pace. Fairways probably could be a little better-couldn't always pick out 1st from the 2nd cut. Maybe because it was just early in the season. Overall we found it a really interesting course with some challenging holes.

May 14, 2018

David Oliver

This review is provided whilst ignoring the poor conditioning (shocking winter / spring) and based on aesthetics, design, shot making etc. In my view, the Addington is placed correctly in the rankings as it is a notch below the best in Surrey. In saying this however, it does have a world class hole (the 11th) which may not be everyone's choice. This is a wedge distance par 3 which is absolutely stunning (beautiful heather and bunker complex). It defines what a short par 3 should be in terms of design (narrow, well guarded green which has enough depth in order to provide different pin positions). I generally like quirky but am still undecided on the par 5, 12th. Although it is a short par 5 which by definition requires protection, I'm not convinced of the protection. The fairway runs out at about 250 of the tips where it drops severely downhill through gorse, heather and humps and hollows where balls can be lost - as such there no benefit of taking driver off the tee. So, a lay up at say 230 off the tee still leaves 260 which is a lay up for mortals. The green is tucked away on the left and is heavily protected, and there is a meagre area for a successful lay up. It could be argued that the optimum play may well have been 2 wedges from the top of the hill, which just seems wrong. Maybe this is the genius of the hole in that despite it being only 490 from the tips, it is a genuine 3 shotter. Genius or not,those golfers who hit the ball 180 off the tee will need to hit it another 170 to clear the heather etc, which is a very tough, and in my opinion, too penal an examination paper. In contrast, the par 5, 16th enables even medium hitters to have a go in 2, if they can leverage the slopes on the fairway towards the green. I "get" the brutal 230 yard par 3 which plays 15 yards shorter with the elevation change however it perhaps needs some tree pruning as it has a distinct claustrophobic feel, which is unnecessary for a hole of that length and severity (challenging green complex). Other notable holes are the 4th and 5th holes (strong par 4s), the par 4, 9th which features one of the iconic wooden bridges which connect the two areas of fairway and the 18th (430 yard par 4). In addition, the par 3s provided good variation (wedge to 3 wood).

In summary, a very enjoyable course which feature some memorable holes

April 22, 2018

Tom
April 27, 2018

Probably the most accurate review of this course on the site!

harvey thomas
September 05, 2018

Yes an excellent summary. This is a very enjoyable course to play and is good fun for the mid handicappers as well as the low. It has some wonderful views into the centre of London also.

Richard McEvoy
June 09, 2019

The 11th has had an extensive overhaul this Spring . Bunkers reshaped ,New sand and re-turfed all around . Stunning !!!