Review for The Addington

What an utter disappointment!!!

Having seeked out a decent course in the area to play, we came across what is meant to be a top 100 course in the UK.

Having played on a beautiful spring day (other courses in the area being in decent shape), the conditions were simply unacceptable. Fairways and rough were indistinguishable, bunkers littered with rocks and greens bumpy and slow. One wonders what they are doing with your very pricey £100 green fee when other courses in the area charge a fraction and are in much better condition!

The first 6 holes were downright forgettable. The poor condition doesn’t help either. Not taking into consideration the conditions, there are some better holes which follow. The par 3 7th plays over a gorge to a diagonal green sprinkled with bunkers. The par 4 9th is (although very short), a pretty dogleg with the second playing over a gorge into a lovely set green.

The Par 5 12th hole is one of the worst golf holes I have ever played! Talk about the opposite of risk/reward! Your drive needs to either be under 200 yards, or you need to hit and hope your ball isn’t caught by the heather which is sprinkled all the way downhill from 200-350 yards. It’s a blind tee shot so good luck picking a spot! I took driver and was lucky enough to not find the heather, which left me with a wedge 2nd into this stupid par 5. My playing partner played what we thought was a perfectly hit 5 iron straight down the middle which was lost in the heather - what a joke of a hole.

The par 3 13th is a lovely looking hole from the tee box - and a beast of a par 3, having played 230 yards from the back tees on the day! I read that this was ranked one the the best inland par 3 holes. I would have agreed had it not been so poorly maintained. Uneven tee box, bunkers without rakes with hundreds of pebbles and rocks and a green that public courses would have been embarrassed about!

Besides a couple of lovely tee shots with London as the backdrop, nothing to write home about as you finish up your round.

We were both left very deflated after having this course built up by others. The Addington definitely has potential and with a bit of TLC, could be a good day out. However even in tip top condition, I could think of many courses which deserve a top100 spot more than this track!

Date: April 21, 2019