Review for The Addington

I played the Addington again yesterday and have to say that I had a great day of golf. When you arrive at the club (its a bit of a mission to get to) - the clubhouse and setting is very low key and somewhat misleading - as it is the first hole which is somewhat of a tame start, with none of the 1st tee potential for embrassment factor I like to set the competitive juices flowing. That said the addington as a course is a great test of golf and there are plenty of interesting quirks such as deep ravines, wooden gang ways etc that keep the course challenging. To my mind the course is distinguished by its par 3's - the 3rd is a tough ask into any sort of wind. Equally the 7th is a pictureque hole. The standout hole for me though is the 13th which had nothing to do with sticking it to 8ft (honestly!!) - and the 17th from the back tees is a tough club call. Only downside to me was some of the fairways which are very well drained but do seem to be slightly bald in places - or maybe am just used to the lush feel of my home club Moor Park. All in all the Addington is a fab day out - and if it ever gets the practice facilities and club house to match the course then it will be truly great. However, I agree with the prior review in that the course I think is optimal for visitors rather than a week in week out member. But thats not necessarily a negative... If you have not played it - then get on it!

Date: February 28, 2010