Alcaidesa (Links) - Southern Spain - Spain

Spain

• Not known

• Peter Alliss and Clive Clark

• Juan Pablo Arriaga

Links it may be named and marketed as but, in reality, it is an undulating cliff top seaside course that enjoys stunning views over the Mediterranean, the Straits of Gibraltar and the distant Atlas Mountains in North Africa.

And with the introduction of the Dave Thomas-designed Heathland course (and a spanking new clubhouse) in 2007, Alcaidesa now boasts two fine 18-hole layouts at a venue situated in one of the more progressive regions of southern Spain.

The course has an out and back routing with the first four holes heading towards the shoreline and the mile-long beach. Holes 5 to 14 then play out along the coast – where the wind, if it’s up, will stiffen the challenge – before the fairways head back inland to complete the round in front of the clubhouse.

Reviews for Alcaidesa (Links)

Description: The Links course at the Alcaidesa Golf Resort was inaugurated in 1990 then remodeled in 1999 to improve its playability by widening fairways and ironing out some of the more severe undulations on the greens. Rating: 5.1 out of 10 Reviews: 8
Javier Pintos

This was my second time on the course after a round back in November 2008 during the IGTM Event. I certainly remembered most of the course but some details were off my mind and it was great to spend a day on the property reviewing both courses and having a current idea on where the Resort is pointing at. And as a Golf Travel Professional I now have a clear idea of what this place can supply to both holiday golfers and permanent residents and it is a very good golf experience with 2 very good courses and a Club House that already shows the upgrade it was given, service has now improved and the quality of the Club House facilities now match the best courses in the area.

I re checked the pictures back in time and that November the course had not been overseeded with Rye Grass like this time and I have to say that the contrast of the emerald green with the ocean, Gibraltar Rock and a nice blue sky afternoon was almost the perfect place to play golf. I am not on the side of those who believe reseeding is necessary as I know what the grass has to put on with once the cool season ends and although the playing conditions might be very good the transition is not always good and the course suffers during the transition. But this made the course to be in perfect condition with greens rolling spectacular.

The course is blessed with one of the nicest pieces of land I have seen for a course but certainly the design lacks of character and I feel some holes are forced to be what they are instead of blending like a natural result of the piece of land together with the architecture. It has five par 3s and five par 5s and it seems that this could be changed and adapted to something different. 1-16-18 are good options as par 5 and I wouldn’t change anything except tee boxes on 1 where a tree “hices” the entire hole, instead of taking it away just moving the tee boxes to the left will increase the visual beauty from the starting point.

5th has the best tee shot on the course facing directly The Rock but it ends on a hole which could be a lot better with some options but on of those could be taking the green closer to the ocean and making it a great par 4. And 7th has a path that goes beneath the fairway that is totally unnatural. Both of them reachable and both of them need to be recreated.

Par 3s are located two on the high side near the club with no views, but both of them are nice shots to be hit where in 2nd I needed a hybrid but it gives you space to land the ball and 17th was playing tough into the wind. The other three are in the ocean part with dramatic level changes being 12th the toughest needing a big carry over a pond. 6th is a sort of Redan Green which could certainly be added some character. It is strange to say but the best holes are those apart from the ocean, it seems that the best piece of land is where there is more room to improve.

Another thing where this course can have an upgrade is bunkering, making them on the correct size and being creative with design could add a differential feature to the architecture.

Another thing I pointed back in 2008 was the lack of some signals and helping the golfer from the tee boxes, with a modern update on this the experience will be a lot better.

I am aware course is in the path of improvement but all the same today it is a great venue, with chances of scoring low if no big wind comes and with good putting. And the value of having 2 different courses in the same place can be certainly another thing to take into account when giving value to it. Why not come and play Heathland early in the morning, a nice lunch and enjoying sunset at The Links? That is what I recommend!

February 20, 2021

Gary Vowles
We booked two tee times directly with the course at 14:00 and 14:10 on 30th November 2015. We played the first three holes without delay and on the fourth hole tee there was no fewer than three groups on that hole. Apparently, they had a pro completion on that day, many looked like juniors. The pace of play was appalling and marshals seemed to think seven hour rounds was acceptable! It became clear that we were not going to finish our round in daylight as when we got to the tenth tee, there was a number of groups were still on the tee!! Very annoyed that we were not made aware of this competition as our booking was made many months in advance and were not advised even when we got to the course. Returned to pro shop to complain and get reimbursement and they eventually to €25 against the €55 we had paid. This was only done under pressure applied. Manager would not even come out of office to speak to us even though she was only a few yards away and we could see the pro shop assistant speaking to her. Very disappointing and will never go here again!
December 06, 2015

Maciej Nachtlicht
I'm surprised by the rather reserved reviews. During a 3-day golf trip to Costa del Sol, we played Finca Cortesin, Alcaidesa Links, La Reserva, San Roque New and Old, and Torrequebrada. I must say that the three of us agree that Finca Cortestin was the first, but Alcaidesa was a second course on our list. The views were stunning, the greens were extraordinary and only the fairways were a problem due to heavy rains in the preceding weeks. Out of all holes, 17 and 18 were disappointingly dull.
March 27, 2015

Gerard Fancourt
We loved this course. It is a great place to golf, with some of the finest views you will see from any golf course.It is absolutely not a links course, more like a seaside heathland course, with plenty of gorse-like plants, and challenging carries over scrubby ravines.The greens were in very good condition, and the fairways OK. The stretch of holes along the sea have great views towards Gibraltar and North Africa, and are unique.I would agree that there could be better guidance on the layout of some of the holes, especially the seaside stretch, as there are times when the course gets a little tricksy.All of the par 3s are interesting with a good variation in length and difficulty.The new clubhouse is the nicest we have been in on the Costa del Sol, and the food and service were good.I am sure, in fact I know, that there are technically much better courses to play in the area, but if you don't enjoy the experience on the Alcaidesa Links course, I think that you might have something missing in your soul.We will be back soon.
March 02, 2013

Steve
August 17, 2014
Have to agree entirely with this review. Im a single figure handicapper and visit the Costa Del Sol twice a year. Have done for many years, and have played nearly all the courses around this area. For the purist, there are technically better courses around the area for sure. However, the pure enjoyment offered by this course is surely unmatched. I love it and always want to play it when i go. Its an absolute 'must play' for any visitors to the region, as its just so unique to the area and has some truly memorable holes. What on earth that other reviewer was going on about when he said the seaside holes weren't memorable ill never know. Maybe Cypress Point was his benchmark?!!
Javier Pintos
This course is set in a magnificent piece of land, with astonishing views of the Mediterrenean and of The Rock, but the course ....It is a great place to play and I would go back, but some holes design is crazy, not common and as there are not drawings of the holes in the tee, it is sometimes impossible to guess where the hole goes. I think redesign is needed and signals need to be put.All the same, I found some memorable holes like 11-12, two great par 4s by the sea.
December 03, 2010

BRIAN MOSS
at the start of the round i thought this was going to be great but - ironically for a links course - once we hut the seafront it became disappointing. when i play a very good course i can remember almost every shot and certainly the holes but there is a stretch in middle where the holes all seemed the same. the views to the sea are amazing but sadly negated by the awful housing development that lines some of the course. i doubt i will be back
September 17, 2010

polspede
Expected a lot more . Best thing there are the views for sea shore and Gibraltar . You need buggy because of big elevations and distances between holes.Course is properly maintained
November 20, 2009

Ian Macdonald
I played here in March '07 and can't say that I left with a burning desire to return. It's certainly not a bad course, just a bit disappointingly average. It's presence this highly in the rankings is a touch surprsing - I played La Quinta and Monte Mayor on the same golf trip and thought that these two were a lot better. It does have some nice views of the sea and of the Rock of Gibralter.
February 25, 2009