Review for Alcanada

Alcanada is a test of golf that nature intended. There is no artifice here and although it is extremely tough and certainly no place for the novice I rate it the best course on the island because it is so natural.

There are no artificial lakes or fountains here, just a quiet peace and the breeze blowing in off the Bay of Alcudia. On a quiet, sunlit day when I played it on a late September weekday it could not be faulted as there is such a natural flow to the holes that leads you up around the slopes and down to the coastal plain of this wonderful course..

My playing partner and I flew round, although we did take a buggy as this is a testing walk for the older golfer, in a shade over three hours. The fairways were green and lush with the ball sitting up nicely and the greens, many of them with some fiendish slopes, were consistently true.

To score well around here accuracy is more important than distance although a number of raised tees give the big hitters a chance to open their shoulders. I could not name a weak hole on the course although with the drama and spectacular views that are on offer on the front nine, with a ravine to cross on the very first hole and some long holes to follow, the last hole is something of an anti-climax. But that is only a minor quibble.

The facilities are every bit as excellent as the course with sensational views out to sea on the terrace and some excellent food and wines to savour. As I sat enjoying a glass of excellent Rioja and gazing out to the lighthouse the club has taken as its emblem my one thought was when can I come back here again to play.

If you are a serious golfer and on Mallorca you must play Alcanada.

Date: October 14, 2016