Review for Aldeburgh (Championship)

In the midst of Covid-19, I thought I should self isolate myself on a golf course! Aldeburgh was the lucky winner as it's been on my to do list for a while!

For a golf course to have no par 5's is a very bold and brave move, one I thoroughly enjoyed playing even though I am fond of a good par 5. It's a prime example of how a golf course doesn't need to be long to be tough.

I'd definitely recommend playing with a member, otherwise a course guide may be vital. For the first time in a while I found myself travelling 50 yards down a fairway to see where the ball actually needed to go! The layout itself was fantastic. Some great holes and a good variance to avoid the holes looking too 'samey' which could be likely with a lot of par 4's.

The clubhouse and pro shop keeps is traditional elements whilst also maintaining very modern touches with lovely mens locker rooms and restaurant facilities and the pro shop well stocked and very friendly too.

The condition of the course given time of year was very good, the fairways were brilliant and felt like a top quality course. The greens although rolling true to the line, were a little slow and bobbly at times, but this can be expected for the time of year and I won't hold it against this charming place.

Overall, I think the top 50 position in England for Aldeburgh is more than fair, it's where it deserves to be. Leave your driver at home and make sure you're hitting the fairways. As pretty as the full bloomed gorse looks, the ball doesn't like it in there!

Date: March 17, 2020

Read all reviews about Aldeburgh (Championship)