Aldeburgh (Championship) - Suffolk - England

Suffolk,
IP15 5PE,

• 6 miles E of A12 (A1094) to Aldeburgh

• Contact in advance - 2 balls & foursomes only

Founded in 1884, Aldeburgh Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in Suffolk and is separated from the tidal Alde estuary by an unusual strip of coastal heathland. Although the Championship course itself is ostensibly heathland, its close proximity to the estuary and the North Sea provides a salty whiff of sea air.

Aldeburgh was originally designed by John Thompson and Willie Fernie and modified at the turn of the 20th century by Willie Park Junior and J.H.Taylor. Hugh Alison and Harry Colt made further modifications to the course in the 1920s. Benjamin Britten once lived close to the course, bringing fame to the town through the internationally renowned music festivals at Snape Maltings.

If you play Aldeburgh between May and late June, you will be presented with beautiful narrow fairways weaving their way between bright yellow gorse. You will be hard-pressed to find such an awe-inspiring sight at any golf course. Clearly, you need to be on top of your game. Looking for golf balls in this terrain is a painful business. "I am also very fond of Aldeburgh," wrote Darwin, "though now and again when I am sore and spiky from sitting in gorse bushes, and hot and tired from searching for my ball, I could wish there was just a little less gorse."

Deep, sleeper-faced bunkers protect some of the greens. Combine this with the ever-changing wind and you are presented with an excellent a golfing challenge. Or as Darwin said: "I know no course more likely to teach driving accuracy. There is nearly always a wind on that most pleasant heath, and there are very often avenues of gorse, and you simply must keep straight."

Aldeburgh is a traditional two-ball club; foursomes, not three or four-ball play is the order of the day. Aldeburgh Golf Club has hosted a number of important ladies and men’s amateur events over the years, but it’s a course the average handicap golfer will also enjoy enormously.

9th October 2008 – Perry Hunt commented on our article: “In common with a large number of top courses, Aldeburgh has cleared some gorse away from the fairways and tidied up years of natural overgrowth. As a result of a recent review, in association with Nicholsons, the course has been lengthened to 6,600 yards (par 68), bunkering has been modified and the Club is partway through a programme of modifying 4 or 5 holes. Finally, Aldeburgh offers splendid golf throughout the winter (no placing, no temporary surfaces and fast true greens) something many higher ranked courses cannot always offer, especially for our modest greenfees!”

Reviews for Aldeburgh (Championship)

Description: Founded in 1884, Aldeburgh Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in Suffolk and is separated from the tidal Alde estuary by an unusual strip of coastal heathland. Rating: 7.3 out of 10 Reviews: 27
Hugh

I played Aldeburgh again on our annual Suffolk trip in October and I become less impressed each time I visit. The thing I like most is that it plays firm and fast. It’s got plenty of length and a lowly par 68, so scoring is tough, but it lacks variation with 9 longish par fours in the first 11 holes. Ideally the course needs a couple of par fives to break up the monotony.

December 16, 2016

Peter Watson
This is a very fine heathland golf course, longer than its 'card' suggests, maybe because of the quirk that it has no par 5's so its long 4's are very challenging. The fairway playing surfaces are superb whatever the time of year but especially so when I played it recently, the fairways never need preferred winter lies. Greens are much better than some reviewers suggest--maybe they arrived on a maintenance days--large subtly contoured and very true to put on. By far the best course in Suffolk and satisfyingly fast to play as no four balls permitted.It is in my view well worth travelling to play it if you like challenging links/heathland courses as I do.
November 22, 2014

TIM
I have played in the region of 30-40 rounds at Aldeburgh Golf Club over the years, and have to say some of these reviews below astound me. I have played the course in all conditions, fast running summer months, frozen winter mornings and everything in between. I understand there has not been a winter tee box or temporary green in nearly a decade which is testament to the greenskeepers and the fantastic piece of suffolk land it lies on. Each and every time I have played the course I have left with a new opinion on the best & toughest holes. One thing for sure is that it will test the best of golfers. The prevailing wind makes the finishing holes as protected as any I have played, and the quality of the large greens with their subtle breaks the sternest of tests. #I have never written a review for anything in my life, but this Club needs to be truly recognised. I read some of the more negative reviews and assumed many were purely written on the fact players struggled to play to handicap. It is simply one of the finest courses I have played, and I have been privileged enough to play inks golf throughout Ireland, as well as Australia and South Africa. This course will never disappoint you, unless of course, you expect to play to your handicap.
October 11, 2014

Jason
Greens were shocking , slow , bumpy , when I spoke to the master greenkeeper he seemed to think they were true and fast. Well let me tell you I play off +1 and will never play here again.-(
June 10, 2014

Andrew
April 08, 2015
Delighted you play off a staggering +1. Well to humble you I'm off +3 and I played Alderburgh yesterday. It was wonderful. I can report the greens were true. A very lovely course.
Matthew Rose
Before I talk about this wonderful golf course, I must admit that I am a musician, and for a musician Aldeburgh is one of the wonders of our world as Benjamin Britten (who lived alongside the 14th fairway) established a Festival and Concert Hall the like of which barely exists any where else on the planet. It was music that first brought me to Aldeburgh, but it is the golf course that keeps bringing me back. A really tough examination for any golfer, Aldeburgh is famous for it's unrelenting, long par fours and it's beautiful par threes (everyone a cracker, from the railway tied bunkering of the 4th to the long 15th) A few years ago Ken Brown and a team of golf lovers took Aldeburgh firmly into the 21st Century by rejigging the whole course. Lots of the gorse and bracken that lined every fairway was removed and bunker and green complexes were remodelled to make it an appropriate test for the modern, 300 yard driving player. The first is one of my favourite holes in golf, the fourth a tough, uphill par four with bunkers moved to the inside of the dogleg, the 6th is a beautiful long downhill par four with glorious vues to the amazing Alde estuary. The back nine offers the only relief in the shape of the shorter 12th and 13th holes, but 11, 16 and 18 are three of the toughest holes you will ever play, especially with the wind coming off the North Sea as it often does. There a no par 5s on the course which is something the members revel in (as they do to the preference to two ball golf, which is something I, as a not very regular golfer, abhor) but I wonder why they have not added a back tee on 16 to have the option of making it a par 5; it would be a brilliant par 5 as I am sure Harry Colt intended it to be when he designed it. If you don't know Aldeburgh, then please go and try this amazing test of golf, enjoy a pint of Adnams from a silver tankard in the clubhouse, fish and chips on the beach. And even a bit of classical music at Snape Maltings or in Aldeburgh itself. There is so much on offer here, but above all a world class test of golf.
May 19, 2014

BB
October 05, 2018

Nice review - looking forward to a round here in 2019 & we will follow the rest of your advice. Perhaps even playing the 16th as a par 5.

Just read that you are an opera singer. Would love to be around when you shout "FORE!" on the course.

anthony thompson
I played before the storms and was most surprised by the quality of the greens, they were most un-Aldeburgh like. Apart from being overly long ( I imagine the result of remedial and aggressive topdressing and re-seeding) there were the most extraordinary little squares of grass cut into each green ( patches). These were of a different colour and I think a different type of grass. One can only hope the remedial work does its job and the course is never again allowed to get into such poor condition.This has been and has the potential to be once again the very best course in the region once some attention is paid to its condition... even the bunker surrounds where new turf had been laid hadn't been watered through the summer and had died leaving unsightly scrub rather than grass. It's such a shame for a course I have loved playing for years.
November 13, 2013

Darren
This is a delightful 2 ball course, which plays longer than it's yards - with a lot of 400+ yard Par 4s. The course is in good nick and they are really working hard on the greens, having stressed out all the meadow grass this summer - they will be fantastic next year. Very friendly pro and lovely ambience around the club.
October 15, 2013

anthony thompson
I have really mixed feelings about this golf course. I have played it quite a lot down the years. Recently they have done some structural changes. Some of these like the bunker on the second and reshaping of the third work well. However others are not good, the bunkers on the left of the eleventh green are a great idea but the face of the bunkers points in entirely the wrong direction- very odd they've been badly constructed.Some of the gorse cutting has been good, but in places it has gone much too far- the course has lost a very great deal of its essential character. I especially don't like having so many tee to green views between the holes, there's no benefit to it from a playing sense.I played this May and the greens were truly shocking, some of the worst I have played. The seventh was abysmal ( I understand some experiment went badly wrong)- others were not much better. I played again a few days ago and the greens were much, much better but still lack growth (tining scars are still visible). I have to say whatever the greens staff are trying it is not working and it's unfair on paying customers to make them pay for an experiment. I would say that during my trip in May I also played other local courses which had no greens issues ( it wasn't the weather).I'll continue to go to Aldeburgh in the hope that it improves , it can be a tremendous test and if it were in good condition I'd challenge anyone to go round within handicap off the new blue tees.I just pray they get a grip of things and stop tinkering.I play off a handicap of 6.
July 11, 2013

jim stewart
We played this 'top 100 course' in May this year and all (bar one!) wondered how it get's this accolade. Better going to nearby Thorpeness an original James Braid course which is being updated beautifully and where you don't have to play two balls.
May 09, 2011

Peter Watson
June 07, 2011
Each to their own--there are some who would say that playing a round of foursomes on a quiet, fast running, natural heathland course in 3 hours or so per round while enjoying distant views of river estuary and sea is the pinnnacle of the game---- but tastes differ.
Steve Whitby
Long Par 4s some interesting some very basic, fairly tough to play to HCP. Greens were not what you'd expect from a top 50 course. Not sure why it is listed as 31st in England, not worth £55.00 green fee.
September 07, 2010