The small town of St Andrews sits at the southern tip of a peninsula that juts into Passamaquoddy Bay, and it’s only proper that a place named after the world famous Royal and Ancient golfing town in the Kingdom of Fife should have its own revered old course.
Golf was first played here in 1894 when a short, 9-hole pitch and putt course was laid out on the lawns of the Algonquin Hotel. After the Canadian Pacific Railroad acquired the property in 1903, additional holes were created and these were then modified from plans drawn up by Donald Ross in the 1920s.
Thomas McBroom was tasked with modifying the course at the start of the new millennium and his revamped layout was unveiled with a woodland front nine and seaside back nine, the first three holes of which were constructed on a newly acquired 30-acre site that leads golfers to the shores of the Bay of Funday.
Rod Whitman was called in to establish a new vision for the property in 2016 and his redesign involved an extensive tree clearing program to open out views to the Atlantic and a distinctive bunker refurbishment scheme to add more strategy to the golfing challenge.
New tees were installed at holes 12 and 13, and a new green constructed at the 11th. A revised routing allowed two of the weaker par fours to be replaced with a new long par five and a long Redan-style par three, adding to the overall variety of the holes. In total, seven new green complexes were built.
August 05, 2014