Review for Alwoodley

Played here in September 2020 on an at first slightly damp but at the end sunny day. The course is fantastic both on the eye and in it’s conditioning, with the greens being the standout and resulting in far too many three putts.

The day we played we had a strong breeze into us on 1 and as the course in the main goes out and then back it meant getting to 11 was hard work, but then getting back to 18 was easier. Apparently this is the opposite to how it usually blows.

In regards to the holes themselves it really is difficult to pull out one or two holes to mention as there really are a lot of good holes. However, in the bar afterwards I heard the party in front of us mention that if they could, they would just loop round 10 and 11 and I think I would echo that. 10 is a great par 4 a big dogleg left and as you stand on the tee for the first time you have no idea how great the approach shot is. I won’t ruin it for those who haven’t played. 11 is the best par 3 and having put the ball on the green and watch it roll back off the green and then watch my partner do the same we had a reality moment about how important it is to have played the course before. I genuinely think you would save 6 shots just playing the course a second time and knowing a bit more.

Lastly being from Surrey it is hard not to compare this to the heathland courses around those parts and I think it is better than the 3 Ws, Hankley, The Berkshire and Walton Heath. Could it be in the top100 in the world, I think there is definitely a case to be made.

Date: September 21, 2020