Review for Alwoodley

I made the trip to play Alwoodley and Moortown in a 36-hole day in August 2020. Having heard and read the reviews of both I was excited at the prospect. Ultimately though I was disappointed to walk away quite underwhelmed by Alwoodley. In my very humble opinion it didn't match the praise. There are some really quite poor holes (2 and 17 in particular). 17 stands out as one of the worst holes I remember playing anywhere, driving blind across a public road off the tee, then playing down to a hidden green with a comically tall pin. There were a couple of holes that played across each other too, giving the impression of having squeezed 18 holes in to a portion of land only big enough to accommodate 15 or so. We played Alwoodley in the morning then Moortown in the afternoon and I certainly preferred Moortown. A 3.5 ball rating feels right to me on the basis that the condition of the course couldn't be faulted, they clearly have an excellent group of greens staff. Sadly though my biggest take away were the poor holes rather than any stand out holes.

Date: October 05, 2020