Review for Alwoodley

I've played most of the top 50 in England and consequently, the chance to try one of the few I haven't is always really exciting. As a Yorkshireman, I should have played Alwoodley much sooner than I have of course and I wonder if it was the high expectations I had that ultimately left me feeling decidedly underwhelmed?

The clubhouse is magnificent and the huge, pristine first tee sets a great opening scene. Good first couple of holes too but then things become very similar and more to the point, the lack of elevation from many of the tees leaves one wondering what the best line is to take. It reminded me a little of Walton Heath in this regard - another course that fell a long way short of my expectations.

My home county is not particularly blessed with good golf courses but this is one of them and it is just that - good. Nowhere near the level of Ganton and not much better than Fulford, if at all.

It is very expensive for what it is too and I am afraid I won't be rushing back. That said, I did enjoy the day and am glad to have played there.

Date: October 05, 2020