Established back in 1919, when putting surfaces were originally constructed with sand, the tree-lined course at Amarillo Country Club was totally renovated in 2012 by D.A. Weibring and architect Steve Wolfard.
Occupying a 150-acre property that lies a mere 10-minute drive from downtown Amarillo, the club hosted the Texas PGA championship in 1951 (won by Byron Nelson) then it attracted a couple of LPGA tournaments in 1966 and 1967. The Amarillo Open on the Ben Hogan Tour in 1990 attracted names like Jeff Maggert, Tom Lehman and John Daly.
Feature holes include the 171-yard 6th, with a pond sitting to the left of the green, and the 485-yard 9th, which is the only par five on the outward half. On the back nine, another pond fronts the green on the 154-yard 11th, while the 550-yard 13th is rated stroke index 1, running alongside Bushland Boulevard in the southeast corner of the property.