Anderstein (B & C) - Netherlands

Netherlands

• Hans van den Hoven

• Joan Dudok van Heel, Gerard Jol and Roel van Aalderen

• Martine Martens

Reviews for Anderstein (B & C)

Description: The Heuvelrug (Hillside) and Heide (Heather) nines – also known as the B & C loops – form the course of first choice at Golf Club Anderstein but the Vallei (Valley) nine should not be dismissed at this impressive 27-hole facility outside the small town of Maarn. Rating: 5 out of 10 Reviews: 1
BB

Anderstein is on a lovely undulating site with a nice routing that winds through woodland and some open meadowland dotted with heather. We played the Heuvelrug & Heide loops of 9. Plenty of water in play helps make this a challenging course.

Anderstein (B & C) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Ultimately the design of a few holes felt a bit awkward and made decision making difficult for a first time visit. On occasion following a reasonable tee shot I was confused as to my next move. When this happened, I also tried to imagine myself as a better player (i.e. 50 yards further up the fairway, on the fairway) but the holes didn’t make much more sense from that perspective. I felt this on holes 2 & 6 on the Heide loop & 4 on the Heuvelrug, amongst others.

Highlights would include the canted fairway of hole 2 of Heuvelrug, tempting you to find the speed slot to gain an advantage. And hole 3 on the Heide, an attractive short Par 4 (which admittedly must compete with this loop’s 9th hole as The Most Intimidatingly Narrow Hole). The greens had enough interest and left us with some interesting pin positions.

Anderstein (B&C) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Dare I say it, the design did feel a bit random at times and I think Anderstein would be a good candidate for a redesign/renovation to get more out of the property. Maybe playing strategy would become apparent on a repeat play and I will try again here because it’s a lovely environment in which to spend an evening. Its current ranking feels about right, but it has potential to be higher. Does anyone at the club have Frank Pont’s number?

September 16, 2020

martin
September 18, 2020

I guess you have Pont's phone number, because you sound as either one of his disciples or as a member of his marketing team (maybe both?). As far as I know, Michael van der Vaart is the architect in charge of redesigns and renovations. That he has plenty of work left to do at this club goes without saying. Anderstein is a good example of weak golf course design from the 80s and 90s of the last century. Difficult to turn something mediocre into something really good. Best thing would be to start all over again, since the site is very nice.

BB
September 19, 2020

Thanks Martin, good to know that Michiel van der Vaart has a consulting role at Anderstein. His courses I’ve seen are enjoyable & characterized by dramatic putting surfaces. I don’t think those need to be touched here though, it’s more the journeys tee to green that need some tweaking. I also don’t feel it needs to be ripped up completely - perhaps just draw up a sensible incremental plan for each hole (that helps bring more consistency & interest to the whole). I guess a lot will depend on the architect’s scope/remit from the club - and associated budget. Fingers crossed he will help realise the potential of the site. I enjoyed my round here but feel it could be even better. Have you played the Valley loop here, and if so, is there an argument for incorporating that into a main 18 hole course?