Andratx - Balearic Islands - Spain

Spain

• Not known

• Rodney Barr

• Not known

Sometimes the terrain at a particular location is so tortuous that you can only scratch your head and ask the question, “who would build a golf course here?” Well, David McLay Kidd was involved in the early stages of the project, but Rodney Barr takes the majority of the Andratx architectural credit, constructing one of the most original, eclectic golf courses imaginable within a steep, forested valley at Camp de Mar, on the southwest coast of Mallorca in 1999.

Andratx is spectacular, challenging and a complete golfing one-off with blind shots galore, unfeasibly elevated teeing positions, dramatically doglegged fairways, ponds, bunkers and stone walls that regularly come into play. Little wonder the name of the first hole as you set out on the round is called “Heaven Help Me”!

Golf at Andratx is an acquired taste for many but devotees of this course will tell you it offers a world-class golfing experience that is both demanding and stimulating. Accuracy is everything here as wayward shots will be severely punished so bring your “A game” or else you may part with a sleeve or two of golf balls during the round.

Surprisingly, the use of buggies here is only compulsory until mid afternoon – thereafter, the really adventurous golfer can walk the course!

Reviews for Andratx

Description: Andratx is spectacular, challenging and a complete golfing one-off with blind shots galore, unfeasibly elevated teeing positions and dramatically doglegged fairways. Rating: 4 out of 10 Reviews: 4
Edward Bromley-Martin

Some really interesting holes with some great views which keep you guessing. Only a few mediocre holes on this layout. Isn’t the best course on the island I’ve played but then it doesn’t claim to be.

I feel the course suffers from lack of consistency in condition. For instance, some of the tee boxes etc are In great condition whereas others are unlevel and akin to playing from the rough! Some holes, fairways, greens, bunkers etc are up to scratch and others aren’t. It maybe the times that without tourists course maintenance is the first expenditure to suffer. Also the partly build apartment blocks overlooking the first few holes and you then drive past are a it of an eye sore! I like the top end of the course up by the beautiful big finca with some good holes.

There is also a LOT of driving between holes so I would not walk it under any circumstances.

A nice local course if you’re in the area and well price when I played. Often stay locally so will be back when wanting a decent cheap round.

August 29, 2020

Josh P

No doubt one of the craziest golf courses that I’ve played, Antraxt is in Camp De Mar, Mallorca. The course seems to be extreme at all times. There is massive elevation throughout. Myself and my playing partner decided to walk, to save a few Euros, and, because we generally enjoy walking. We also decided to play off the back tees. These two mistakes cost us throughout the round!

At times, trekking back 50-100m up steep hills, I was amazed they even let walkers on the course. Having said that- the long walks make for some interesting tee shots. Every hole seems to have some sort of intrigue, which leaves for a lot of holes that stick in your mind.

I realised this course was like nothing I had seen before, when playing the 609 metre (!!) par 5 6th. Not only does it play something like 660 yards- it’s uphill with a tight fairway, played into the prevailing wind, with a narrow fairway, water and lots of bunkers! Absolute carnage, it could be the hardest hole I’ve ever played. The 7th has a wall guarding the green (although built a lot later than North Berwick’s). The 8th is an outrageous tee shot played downhill, and from the tips the ‘shoot’ to hit the ball through the trees must have been 10-20 yards wide!

However, there is some respite after this hole, with an excellent halfway house. Not what I expected golfing in Spain, but as it’s in a part of the island that has a big German population, there was an outstanding Bratwurst hot dog and a beer to take the edge of the course.

The theme of the course is continued on the back with lots of massively downhill tee shots, and then finally an 18th hole with loads of water. At times, there is just no logic for the layout of the course, especially the width and length in places. Having said that, it was an extremely fun round, and would recommend this course to anyone just for something completely different. Even with the difficulty, it rewards a player who thinks their way around. Just don’t even think about walking.

May 04, 2020

Peter Adams

Nice course & unfriendliest staff ever met? Not in my book. Rubbish course in addition to very arrogant staff. with really totally rubbish greens & some fairways and tees where you will slip over due to this very poor quality grass. How can you expect to run a Golf Course where only half of the course is playable. I have played on many courses. Not only in Mallorca, but in Ireland, Great Britain where we have the famous British Open. I also play Poniente and Puerta Ponca, and in future I shall ONLY play there. On those courses you can actually drive on the fairways and there is a very pleasant atmosphere with Spanish Staff always there with a kind word and a smile.

August 25, 2019

Gustav

I am sure we can all list elements we like to see in a course design.

Not unlike many reviewers on this site, I tend to enjoy courses which require thought on the tee and give many options playing into greens. I am not too fussed about green speeds as long as the greens offer lots of variety and roll reasonably true.

When pushed, I am equally sure we can also come up with a list of things we are not too fond of. In my case, that would mean penal designs in general, designs which require buggies and designs which offer few options but aerial attack into greens. This does not mean hilly sites are out: I have played courses laid out in such terrain where the designer has managed to create an enjoyable walk, often making the most of the great views on offer. Unfortunately, this course is not one of them.

For me, Andratx ticks all the boxes on the negative side and only one on the positive side: it does require thought before each tee-shot, ideally also a course planner and a distance-measuring device. I had both and left the driver in the bag most of the time. As a result I had a good score, but I shudder to think how many golf balls an out-of-form and out-of-season fourball (of men with higher handicaps) would lose from the tee before giving up as many yellow tees are sited well away from fairways in such inhospitable places that artificial turf has been used to make them playable!

Playing in the late afternoon, I passed at least two groups of older men who seemed to have parked their buggies at the halfway house. They seemed to enjoy themselves royally and showed no inclination to continue playing.

Given the even hillier layout of the back nine, probably a good move.

November 05, 2018