Review for Arabella

Gosh, this golf course is good. I've played at most of the Open courses, Pebble Beach, Valderrama but Arabella is definitely in my top 5 courses for sheer fun. It has been a few years now since I played it. Fresh from an overnight flight from the UK we drove straight to the course and were greeted by a fantastic resort with great service. We picked up our caddies who had exactly the right attitude - unobtrusive and knowledgeable - and had a few putts on the practice green. It was one of those relatively rare things in a practice green - true to the course and not crazy undulating. The course is a real joy. The fairways were undulating but never anything but fair and the greens were incredibly good - fast, true and great to putt on. The course is in an area of real beauty. The lagoon comes into play on several holes and makes a great backdrop. Hard to pick favourite holes but the par 3 17th and long 18th on the side of the lagoon provide a fantastic finish. In some ways I'm not sure if I want to go back to Arabella. It has so many great memories that I am worried there may be some rose-tinted spectacles in play but hopefully I'll get the chance to find out one day soon!

Date: February 16, 2010