Review for Ardglass

The scorecard says "Stunningly Natural Naturally Stunning". After playing Ardglass during the afternoon on Sunday July 26th with my son, the views were strikingly impressive and thoroughly enjoyed playing the course despite the high winds and heavy rain conditions. I must say the playing conditions were about the worst I have ever played in. We truly got to experience the wrath of the Irish Sea.
Ardglass Golf Course - Photo by reviewer
The next day after playing Royal Portrush a golf tour operator said the conditions on Sunday were the worst he has experienced in his 12 years on the job. He said his group had delays due to extremely high winds. Not only were the winds howling on this day but the rain also never stopped. Ardglass was an extremely challenging test of golf and pars were very difficult to achieve on any of the holes. Would like to play Ardlass again on a less brutal day. My son and myself virtually had the course to ourselves as I could understand why not many golfers would want to play on this day, at least the time we played.

As far as the condition of the course, I thought the greens were better than Royal Portrush and high praise to the greens crew as the tees, fairways, and bunkers were all in excellent condition. My favorite holes were the holes thaArdglass Golf Course - Photo by reviewert hugged the Irish Sea coastline and they were certainly stunning. I especially enjoyed the first 5 holes and the par 3 12th and par 4 13th. On this day the 13th was certainly the most difficult as we played directly into the howling wind and the heavy rains almost hurt walking into it. Playing the 18th hole was a nice way to end the day. The views again were stunning highlighted by the 14th century majestic castle clubhouse, the 14 flags from various countries behind the green whipping in the wind, and of course the waves crashing into the coastline.

The Ardglass Golf Club was a pleasure to play and would highly recommend it to any golfer visiting County Down as it is truly unique and stunning. Even though it never stopped raining did take some photos and videos of Ardglass. The quality was not as good as would like and had a hard time keeping the camera dry, but click here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdqxNFhnD0pBu02133O4c6e-IP4A7QtJt if you would like to see some pictures taken on a very difficult day. Jim Brady

Date: August 18, 2015