Review for Ashburnham

Why have I waited so long to visit Ashburnham ?. Absolutely loved it and even with a 3 hour drive I am planning to return next year. A bargain green fee in their open week, course was generally in good condition (a few worn tees) with reasonably paced greens in very good condition. My only gripe would be playing off yellow tees but that is minor.

Some previous reviews refer to bland holes, but personally I thought all 18 holes were good. Four very good par 5's (the pick being holes 8 and 14) and four very good par 3's including the first. I thought the short 13th was the pick of the par 3's, slightly downhill, all carry, into the breeze and a small target. The par 4's were all different and all had something of interest and unusually for a links course I would say maybe only one totally blind tee shot on the 11th. Absolutely loved the 9th with a whole series of pot bunkers lining the left hand side of the fairway after the dog-leg. Some stunning short par 4's including dog-legs close to the green, others superbly protected with bunkers short of the green. The bunkers are quite simply the smallest pot bunkers I have ever seen on a golf course, and there are lots of them; not only do they look good but because of their size are difficult to play out of

Ashburnham is undoubetdly a true links course. Walking around I was thinking it reminded me of Borth in places, of Aberdovey in other places, the links holes at Pwhelli in other places. For me better than Southerdown, better than Tenby, better than Aberdovey, infact I would only really put Royal Porthcawl and Pennard ahead of it in the rankings. Going straight into my personal favourite top 20, slightly ahead of Hayling Island which I played recently and also thought was excellent.

Date: August 02, 2021