Atlantic City - New Jersey - USA

New Jersey (NJ) 08225,

• Charles Fahy

• John Reid, Willie Park Jr., William Flynn, Tom Doak

• Steve Sullivan

Originally laid out over 170 acres by John Reid in 1897, the course at Atlantic City Country Club was altered by Willie Park Junior in 1915 then by the William Flynn and Howard Toomey partnership ten years later. It remained unchanged for more than three quarters of a century before Tom Doak lovingly restored the grand old lady in the late 1990s.

Doak rerouted a number of holes on Atlantic City's front nine and on the back nine, the architect amalgamated holes 10 and 11 to create a strong par five. He also elongated the old 12th to fashion a testing par four and created new holes at 14 and 15. Every tee and green on the course was reconstructed and trees were removed around the marshland areas and replanted along the west side of the property to reinforce its seclusion.

This venerable course has hosted national championships on several occasions over the years. First was when Walter Travis won the US Amateur in 1901, beating Walter Egan 5 & 4 in the final. Babe Zaharias would then claim the first of her three US Women’s Open titles here in 1948, before the ladies tournament returned again in 1965 and 1975 when Carol Mann and Sandra Palmer were the victors.

The club claim to have coined the golfing term “birdie”. A couple of years after the course opened, George Crump, of Pine Valley fame, played his second shot very close to the hole at a par four after his first shot had struck a bird in flight. His playing partners used the term “birdie” to describe the score made in such circumstances and the idea soon spread amongst the membership that one under par for a hole should be called this.

The club is now owned by Harrahs, the Las Vegas-based private gaming corporation, and they have introduced a pay and play facility for non-members at certain times.

Reviews for Atlantic City

Description: This venerable course has hosted national championships on several occasions over the years and Atlantic City Country Club claim to have coined the golfing term “birdie”. Rating: 5.7 out of 6 Reviews: 3

I give this golf course the highest rating because it has all of the characteristics of a truly fantastic golf course/club..... The shot making required is a perfect balance of difficult vs scoring opportunity, the variety of shots needed is ever changing due to the design variety & wind conditions, the history of U.S. golf is oozing all over the place, conditioning is great year round, and best of all.... the course is just FUN. That is why I consider ACCC to be my favorite golf course to play. It is not necessarily the best golf course in the world, but when I think of a place that I would want to play every day for the rest of my life, I would have to say ACCC is the one. Favorite hole: any of the par 3s. they are all excellentLeast favorite: the last because it means the round is over.... unless I play 36. :)Hardest hole: the 9th is long and tough especially when the wind is blowing hardEasiest hole: The fun part about this course is that it doesn't beat you up. There are many scoring opportunities but I would say the 14th can yield the easiest birdie.Best green: 15th green is jutting right out into the bay with AC as a backdrop. That's epic!Best advice: Spend a lot of extra time in the clubhouse to soak in all of the sights. Spend the day at the club. I truly hope that this awesome facility will go private again. As a private club I think ACCC stands a better chance of being preserved. It is truly a special place.
November 17, 2015

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
I played this wonderful course in '06 i believe, and I think of it as one of the best I've played so far. You can surely sense that it has been around for some time, i.e. built to last. I have played five public courses in New Jersey and ACCC is the best. The others are Architect's, Neshanic, Scotland Run and Hominy Hill and they're all good.As for it now being public, I don't mind that at all.
April 30, 2011

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
ACCC is truly a Classic American Golf Course. Everyone refers to the history of the club and origin of the term "birdie". But what is most significant is its playability and prestine design. The course is one of the top five most enjoyable courses I have ever played. Everytime I tee it up there I always know that the round will be exciting and fun regardless of my score. The tee shots offer exceptional variety, the approach shots offer every possible circumstance in the game, the greens are offer so much variety in regards to size and slope, and the hazards are perfectly positoned to offer you intimidation and penalty while still be extremely fair. All of this plus great views (eye-candy) of the Atlantic City skyline and you have yourself a wonderful golf course. It is a course that I wish would return to fully private status so that my membership would give me more opportunities to play it but that is just me being selfish.
January 27, 2011