Golfclub Augsburg was inaugurated in 1959, when the club secured a 20-year lease on sixty-seven acres of the Westliche Wälder Nature Park from Prince Fugger-Babenhausen, allowing architect Bernhard von Limburger to carve the original 9-hole Burgwalden course through the heavily forested property.
Not long after Augsburg was formed, nobody paid much attention when a local 8-year-old lad named Langer from nearby Anhausen started caddying at the club but they certainly sat up and began to take notice when he started winning tournaments not long after turning professional in 1972.
A second nine followed in 1981 after another lease was negotiated to double the acreage assigned to golf, with Donald Harradine called in to map out the additional holes. Kurt Rossknecht then renovated the layout in the mid-1990s, revising the 13th and 14th holes and modifying seven of the original greens.
Today, this very pleasant parkland layout extends to a reasonable 6,018 metres from the back tees, with both returning loops of nine concluding with a par five. Interestingly, once the opening three par fours are finished, golfers never play the same par in succession at any of the remaining fifteen holes.