Augusta National - Georgia - USA

2604 Washington Rd,
Augusta,
Georgia (GA) 30904,

• Leave I-20 at Washington Rd, 1 mile N of Augusta

• Members and their guests only

• Marsh Benson

• Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie

• Bob Kletcke & Dave Spencer

Everybody knows that Augusta National Golf Club is home to the Masters. It’s Georgia’s dream course which is located in a dream-like setting and the nearest most of us will get to teeing it up on the 1st is in the depths of our dreams. Welcome to Walt’s World.

Augusta National Golf Club is one of Earth's most exclusive clubs and the layout was designed by perhaps the world’s greatest golfer, who teamed up with maybe the world’s greatest architect. Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie were the perfect duo to lay down the consummate golf course.

“The Augusta National is the epitome of the type of course which appeals most keenly to the American taste, the meadowland course.” Wrote Robert Trent Jones in The Complete Golfer. “From tee to green there is nothing but closely cropped green turf. These broad expanses of fairway, punctuated with pines and dotted with flashes of white sand, give Augusta a clean, sprightly appearance. The Jones conception, incarnate in Augusta, was that the course should be a true test of championship golf, but, more than that, that it should be a pleasure for all classes of golfer to play.”

“The Augusta National keeps up with the times. Almost every year, upon the conclusion of the Masters Tournament, and after things have been mulled over, changes are made in one or two holes to increase their playing value. Undoubtedly the two most thorough overhaulings took place on the 11th and the 16th, and my work in developing these two holes has been my loving contribution to Augusta’s greatness. Over a period of years these two holes have been transformed from the easiest par four and the easiest par three on the course to perhaps the most difficult.”

Robert Trent Jones was not the only architect to subtly contribute to the development of Augusta National. Perry Maxwell, George Cobb, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Fazio all shaped the course over the years to fulfil the wish of Bobby Jones for Augusta to remain “eminently playable from the regular tees for the medium and high handicap golfer while simultaneously presenting a stiff examination from the back tees for the low handicap or scratch golfer.”

Magnolia Lane, Rae’s Creek, Eisenhower Tree, colourful azalea, dogwood and redbud, Amen Corner, wickedly fast greens and, of course, the Green Jacket, are all synonymous with the Augusta National. The Masters is the only Major to be played every year on the same course and consequently anyone even remotely interested in golf becomes familiar with the course thanks to extensive TV coverage. Billions of people may feel they know the course but only the lucky few have been fortunate enough to actually play it. If you have somehow managed to befriend a member and take divots out of Augusta’s immaculate fairways, did the course meet your expectations?

Augusta National... The Dream. Fergal O'Leary gets the invite to play Augusta National. Click here to read the story.

Reviews for Augusta National

Description: Augusta National Golf Club is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world and was designed by the world’s greatest golfer, who teamed up with the world’s greatest architect. Rating: 5.8333333333333 out of 6

I was so blessed to spend 3 days here in a cool and calm November. This was without doubt the most thrilling event to happen in my golfing life. A dream come true for sure but expectations were just surpassed by what is the greatest place on earth. The course doesn't need any explanation or any reviews. I played 3 rounds and the par 3 course. The stay in one of the cabins was very special. The people at ANGC are amazing. They just seem to know what you want when you want it. Truly a place that all should see. I am very privileged in that I have been to the Masters a number of times. Make that happen also. It is the best tournament in the world and the greatest spectacle in golf.

December 29, 2016

1 person found this review helpful and 3 did not

Anyone who says that they were not excited to play Augusta National or that they didn’t like the course after playing it is lying. Simply put, playing Augusta National was one of the greatest experiences of my life, if a bit overwhelming. Driving under the canopy of trees lining Magnolia Lane is something I never dreamed would happen to me, so the range of emotions that I felt when it happened were wide, as I was trying to comprehend my dream being realized. The most prevalent feelings were joy, fear, excitement, disbelief, exhilaration and anticipation. As anyone who has ever been to the Masters knows, everything about the place is perfect. From tee to green there is no rough; so, truth be told, putting your ball in play is actually not that hard. The fairways are generous, they look and feel like carpets, and every lie is perfect. The greens are also perfection, without question the best in the world. The most difficult shots tee to green are those you have to hit off of the pine needles if you miss the fairway. The real tests of Augusta National are chipping, holding your ball on the greens and putting. The greens are fast, as you would expect. Playing golf here is a privilege few experience and something to tell the grandchildren about (someday). I am very lucky.

John Sabino is the author of How to Play the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs

November 10, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer
I just dropped a three-foot putt for par on Number 12 at Augusta National, my first par of the day. I am at the apex of Amen Corner, a place I never dreamt I would be standing. Jack Nicklaus calls this “the hardest hole in all of tournament golf.” Gary Player calls this 155-yard hole “the hardest par 3 in the world.” The 12th green at Augusta was the first temperature-controlled green in the world; water pipes were installed underneath the green to keep its surface temperature at a constant 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

The 12th hole at Augusta National may be the most recognizable hole in golf because it is viewed on TV by millions of golf fans every year during the spring ritual that is the Masters Tournament. Every golfer dreams of playing this hole. But not many do. The day I played Augusta National was one of the club’s busiest, with six foursomes on the grounds. I know because there is a board in the clubhouse that lists “members on premises.”

If playing golf at Augusta National is the most coveted four hours of every golfer in America, how did I get on? I got lucky when I met a member of Augusta early in the third year of my quest…

Suddenly my dream day came to a close as we strolled away from the 18th green, where I had watched the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat so many times on the final Sundays of the Masters. I spent $250 on logo merchandise in the pro shop, and I’m guessing that amount was lower than what many guests typically spend. A quick shower and change and my driver pulled up to whisk me back to the airport. As I threw my clubs in the trunk, my driver lowered his voice and said, “One last thing, Larry, when you wake up tomorrow, remember this really happened. It was not a dream.” Larry Berle.
October 28, 2014

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Keith Baxter
October 28, 2014
The above review is an edited extract from A Golfer’s Dream, which has been reproduced with the author’s kind permission. A Golfer’s Dream, by Larry Berle, tells the story of how a regular guy conquered America’s Top 100 Golf Courses (following Golf Digest’s 2001/2002 list). Larry has exclusively rated for us every course in the hundred, using our golf ball rating system. However, Larry did not rate the 100 courses against every golf course he has played, but instead he rated them in relation to each other within the hundred. Consequently, in some cases, his rating may seem rather low. A Golfer’s Dream is available in Kindle format and also on Kindle Unlimited via Amazon... click the link for more.
got to play here as my boss is friends with a member and that i play a lot of golf with my boss we got invited over to Georgia aa a spur of a moment trip and the course is the best best in quality from the moment you pull into the gates, being with a member that play often we greeted some very interesting people and you just knew they were billionaires, the whole place has a buzz and manicured, trrees bushes flowers all perfect and kept after, the course was in best condition, greens fast and i love the pine straw and trees, god this place is golfing heaven and the bbq after was real good too, spent all day up at the club and never wanted to leave.
October 28, 2011

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
Once in a lifetime! Advice on how to get on the course: go to St. Andrews University, apply to be a Bobby Jones Scholar, go to Emory university in Atlanta for a year of study, work at the US Masters as a gallery guard and then return to play the course in June shortly before it's closed for the summer with a guaranteed tee time (oh, and play the Par 3 course as much as you like and have free run of the clubhouse, including the champions locker room) - I thoroughly recommend it!The course was immaculate, and the greens every bit as challenging as you expect: BUT I agree that it seems less "true" than the course I remember watching Sandy Lyle, Nick Faldo and the Europeans dominating in the late 80s, early 90s.My highlight was a birdie on 12 from 10 feet and an up and down from the left hand bunker at 16 for par. The driving feels tighter than I imagined, and the land is far hillier than can be understood from the TV.Overall I would love to go back (who wouldn't?) to challenge the greens in all their contours all over again - definately the best feature. Oh, and the bar-b-q on the front lawn was excellent as well!!
October 09, 2007

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
olen freeman
April 05, 2015
Believe it or not, it is (or was) surprisingly easy to become a Marshal at major PGA events, if one has participated before, and registers early enough. Back in the eighties and nineties, my younger brothers were Marshals at several PGA events, including two Masters. Since Marshal positions are usually volunteer, unpaid positions, participants who are interested are sometimes rewarded by being allowed to play the course for free the day following the event. As I''m sure you are aware, after 4 days of tens of thousands of fans trampling the course (not to mention the days of practice rounds etc., preceding the match), the course is usually closed for a week or two for repairs/resurfacing, and to give it time to recover. So an extra day of allowing the amateur volunteers a round is not a big deal. My brothers thus got to play many of the finest courses in the Southeast, including Augusta National, for free, a real dream come true for young golfers. Don''t know if it is still this way or not, but it''s worth checking out.
This is the ultimate golf experience for anyone who grew up watching the likes of Nicklaus, Player and Faldo win the Masters. It is difficult to describe the thrill and anticipation as you stand on the first tee and hit over the valley to the fairway. From the members tees the course is not too intimidating from tee to green, but the greens themselves cannot be imagined in terms of speed and slope. The course as a whole is very hilly and the depth of bunkers cannot be apreciated on TV due to the pure white sand. Holes seldom seen on TV such as the 5th, 6th and 8th are real gems, but nothing can beat walking over the bridge to the par 3 12th. No words can describe the condition of this course even in December when I played, but with little play and being closed for 6 months per year it should be expected.
July 15, 2006

Ortwin Klang
March 20, 2007
Too many adjustments to the real design, therefore 5 points with a big minus behind