Review for Bali National

I played Bali Golf & Country Club in 1998 during the Asian financial crisis. It was a trip to remember, as I was truly a rupiah millionaire for the duration of the holiday. When I cashed a £100 traveller’s cheque I walked out of the change bureau with a carrier bag full of banknotes to the tune of 1.6 million rupiah. As I was staying in an all-inclusive hotel, spending this money became a serious challenge and I ended up playing Bali G&CC using hire clubs purely to get rid of some of the cash! So I set off from the first tee in a cart with a mandatory female caddie glued, standing like a limpet to the back of the cart. The course itself reminded me of a hybrid of a number of courses I’d played across Florida and the turf was very similar in the way it totally disintegrated as soon as the club head touched the ground. Replacing a divot was never possible and it took me a few holes to get used to the way the turf responded to the club. I liked the variation of the holes and loved the closing two holes that played close to the coastline but frankly much of the layout blended into the nice but nothing special category. I found the course quite challenging, possibly due to the hire clubs or my new heady status as temporary millionaire. I would have liked to have played Nirwana Bali, but the facility wasn't fully open and also Bali Handara Kosaido, the original Balinese course located in the mountains, but sadly ran out of time as there is so much to do on this most charming Indonesian island.

Date: March 10, 2010