Review for Bandon Dunes (Bandon Trails)

Bandon Dunes is a spiritual, perhaps soulful place and the hour car ride from any of the major airports just seems to add to the allure of Bandon. I’ve been here a couple of times and played all the courses and I understand why many passionate American golfers now feel that there is no need to cross the pond to play the greatest British links courses, as they are here on the doorstep. Well perhaps not the doorstep exactly but you don’t need your passport! Naturally, Bandon Trials is the lesser of the three existing courses and I wouldn’t mind betting that it will remain at the bottom of the Bandon pile when the Old Macdonald course opens next year. I notice that Bandon Trails has entered the World Top 100 on this website and I’m pleasantly surprised by that. This is the Bandon course that has an intriguing mix of holes, some of which feel links like, others heathland in character and few which are quite open. It’s a never a dull moment course at perhaps the most wonderful golfing haven in the world.

Date: September 16, 2009

Read all reviews about Bandon Dunes (Bandon Trails)