Banff Springs - Alberta - Canada

Alberta,
T0L 0C0,
Canada

• + 1 403 762 2211

Banff Springs Golf Club is set in perhaps the most spectacular and striking location in the world. The setting in the Canadian Rockies is so special that only the most focused golfers will be able to concentrate on the game in hand.

The Canadian Pacific Railway Company can be thanked for bringing a nine-hole golf course to Banff in 1911 as an attraction for its stunning, turreted hotel, known as the Castle in the Rockies. World War I civilian internees built a further nine holes to a Donald Ross design, but it was the illustrious Canadian architect, Stanley Thompson, who really put Banff on the map when he redesigned the course in 1927.

Thompson brought the course closer to the hotel and literally moved the earth to fashion the new Banff Springs. $1,000,000 later, the most expensive course in the world at that time opened for play to a rapturous standing ovation.

The stunning location presents all sorts of problems for the greenkeepers who battle with the extremities of the Alberta elements – warm days and freezing nights of spring. They do a stunning job because the course is invariably maintained immaculately.

Banff Springs is blessed with many world-class holes, all of which are named. There’s too many to mention here but we simply have to bring up the 4th which is perhaps Canada’s most outstanding one-shotter. A climb to the elevated tee presents a heart-stopping view of the Devil’s Cauldron with its punchbowl green which slopes from back to front in order to drain the water off the putting surface as quickly as possible. The green is nestled at the foot of the colossal Mount Rundle and your tee shot must carry across a glacial lake and then avoid numerous greenside bunkers. Can you stay focused and swing smoothly on this 200-yard hole?

Banff Springs is set within a National Park and the course runs parallel with the River Bow with the thundering Bow Falls at one end. We’ve waxed lyrical about the location of Banff Springs Golf Club, but we can assure you that nothing prepares you for the reality, charm and sheer enormity of the setting.

Reviews for Banff Springs

Description: We’ve waxed lyrical about the location of Banff Springs Golf Club, but we can assure you that nothing prepares you for the reality, charm and sheer enormity of the setting. Rating: 8.8 out of 10 Reviews: 15
steve grainger
In direct contrast to Jasper this certainly didnt disapoint. I thought it was fantastic. The condition was much better than JPL and it had a more intimate (tree lined) feel. I thought the bunkering was also a standout feature of the course. Its probably the dearest of all the Canadian courses but its probably justified. Truly awesome...
June 22, 2010

Tim Stockil
As others have written, this is an awesome course whose setting draws the eye so often that you can be forgiven for any mishits (that's my excuse anyway). It can be windy and in that case some of the longer holes are a real challenge. But while you are waiting to play, just look around at those majestic mountains, admire a coyote being herded across the fairway behind you by a family of elk pretecting thier young, and accept that some greens may have had the same elk leaving hoof prints. The best hole is, in my opinion, the original first (I think), now the 14th(?) high up the side of the mountain and near the hotel, where your drive has to clear a river - a real invitation to let rip.
April 12, 2010

Mike Stefan
Banff Springs is one of the most enjoyable courses I have ever played. It's set in the beautiful Rocky Mountains where golf is just one of the amazing outdoor activities. The course layout is fantastic with the par 3 4th, Devil's Cauldron, being the most spectacular. The course continues to challenge the golfer while providing breathtaking views on nearly every hole that follows. The cost is a little high, with peak times costing around $300. The only drawback happens to be good for the environment. Because Banf is a National Park, pesticides are not allowed. This may provide less than smooth early season conditions but this course is worth the visit any time of the year.
December 20, 2008

Mike Stefan
Banff Springs is simply one of the best courses in Western Canada. The layout is outstanding with a variety of holes to test your game. The par 3 4th, offers a unique tee-shot into a bowl surrounded by bunkers and water. Club selection is key as there is a significant elevation drop from the tee.Because Banff Springs is located in a Provincial Park, certain chemicals are not alowed to be used. This will affect course conditions especially coming out of cold Alberta winters. The fairways and greens aren't perfect but the course is a joy to play even with those factors. The course is fair but challenging and would be a treat to be a member at. The biggest drawback for me was the price as I believe its the most expensive course in Alberta. Enjoy it if you can!
November 29, 2008

Richard Parr
Banff Springs had always been a course that I had wanted to play since I saw it in a book given to me one Christmas. It took me about 30 years to get there, but it was well worth the wait. I booked the tee time at the golf shop in the hotel, and on the morning jumped the shuttle bus down to the pro shop as a helicopter buzzed low overhead. There the staff (who were all kitted out in a uniform of white shirts, black plus-twos and argyle socks) could not have been any more helpful. As I was doing a trans-Canada tour & this was to be my only round, I hadn’t brought my own clubs but hired some. I was given a full set of brand new Taylor Made’s. The emphasis here is on service; range balls were included (“Just help yourself sir”) the buggy had an icebox with complimentary bottles of water in it, there were tees, a pitch mark repairer & a towel in the front (“We’d like the towel back sir, but keep the rest”). I was paired up with another 3 visitors, and off we went. The course itself was in excellent condition and is a very good test of golf, but to some degree suffers from the absolutely stunning views around it; if the same holes could somehow be set elsewhere without the views, I’m sure the golf course itself would get excellent reviews and be well regarded. There are a good mix of par 3’s, both in length & changes of elevation, the short par 4’s invite you to take them on but bite back if you are careless, the longer 4’s test you and the par 5’s can be played a number of ways. As a first time player you can see all that you need to from the tee. And for all that, you keep looking at the amazing views. It turned out that my visit was a couple of weeks before a Skins game at Banff; the helicopter was doing the flyover shots, and we were politely interrupted on a few holes by the pro & a camera crew doing the descriptive shots about how the hole should be played, but this was done in such a manner that it added to the experience. Cost was £130 in summer 2006 for the green fee and the clubs, and as far as I am concerned was worth every penny. If Lorne & Mr. & Mrs lee happen to read this, thanks for your company, it added to the day.
December 26, 2007