Established in 1905 with a 9-hole course, Clwb Golff St. Deiniol sits on high ground overlooking the city of Bangor, with panoramic views extending to Anglesey, Snowdonia and the North Wales coast.
Four years after its foundation, the club called in James Braid to extend the layout to eighteen holes. The following edited extract is taken from James Braid and his Four Hundred Golf Courses by John F. Moreton & Iain Cumming:
“James Braid’s visit to this North Wales course is precisely dated. One and a half days to plan the extension and a half day to play on the other nine hole course, covering 45 acres and to be extended to 88.
This assignment only cost the club eight guineas, for his appearance in a foursomes match. A special meeting was called to consider the proposal that Braid’s plan be adopted, “omitting his proposed 16th for the sake of economy.”
Nisbet, 1911, comments: ‘the new nine holes were opened in the spring of 1910. The course is somewhat short but very interesting. Greens and hazards natural, and exceptionally good turf. Fine sea and mountain views.’”