Review for Bantry Bay

I played Bantry Bay on a typical May day in Ireland: mist, rain and wind to start off with broke out into glorious sunshine for the final 7 holes. If I’m honest I didn’t have that high expectations of a course that was more famed for its views than its holes, but I came away very impressed with the overall experience.

A parkland course where the sea is never too far away, it passed the ‘I remember all 18 holes’ test with quite a few I will be excited about playing again: the drives were especially good on holes 5 (a draw required to utilize the big drop in the fairway and get a level second shot), 10 (a fade needed to a thin looking fairway where the sea is all you can see on the left and I guess the wind usually blowing in from there), and 16 which is a beautifully framed downhill right to left long par 4 hole. And some exciting approaches to holes 5, 8, and 14 where undulation changes give you a chance of playing them a number of ways.

These undulation changes were probably the main thing I took from the course, it really helped give many of the holes their own character and challenge. I walked it and it was tougher than normal, but nothing to concern you if you usually walk and carry. It’s not championship golf but it’s a lot of fun to play, and I felt like I hit a lot of different clubs and a lot of different types of shots.

Date: June 02, 2019