Review for Barona Creek

I have lived in Southern California a very long time and have played most of its best golf courses. My first reaction after playing Barona Creek for the first time was, “Why did I wait so long to play this course”!

Top 100 Golf Courses rates Barona Creek Golf Club 23rd in California making it the best ranked course in the San Diego area. Personally, I don't agree with that, but I also think that The Bridges is over rated at 49th. That said, Barona Creek is in my San Diego top four or five.

My first impression of Barona Creek was that I had been transported out of So Cal to Walla Walla, WA and was some how playing a sister course to Wine Valley (my most recent course review less than a month ago). Wine Valley is carved out of Western Washington wheat fields giving the course a beauty all it's own. If somehow Barona Creek could control the weed growth and allow the native grasses to flourish it would be an incredibly beautiful visual experience.

The golf course has no weak holes and enough above average holes to make for a fine test. M. James Ward has described the hole-by-hole far more eloquently than I can. I would have one read his review for confirmation on just how good a course Barona Creek is.

Our day at Barona Creek Golf Club took place while California wild fires were still a threat but greatly diminished. The course was dry and fast. Something one seldom sees in So Cal. The daily fee golfer may wish for a greener more lush golf course, but for me the conditions were wonderful.

Date: September 29, 2020