Review for Bayonet & Black Horse (Black Horse)

There are number of splendid holes at Black Horse. Unfortunately, too many of them are too far away from the preceding hole. I followed the cart path for 210 yards from the 3rd green to the 4th tee. That was a quick stroll compared to the 370 yard hike to the 6th tee. The trek to the 8th tee outdid both of those: 340 yards. I should have known I was about to play a course designed for carts when I spied the immaculately kept concrete cart path by the first tee. So if a walk in the park is your objective, it’ll be more like a forced march. I did not love the conditioning in November 2019. There were far too many open divots. Three of them gathered in my shots.

But those are my only laments. Fairway bunkers abound and they provide the golfer with numerous strategic challenges, both off the tee and on the second shot on the par 5s. The par 5 12th is a perfect example. Here a bunker at the corner of the dogleg asks the player how much to bite off with the tee shot to have a chance to reach the green in two. The approach shot is most open from the left, where a kickpad can propel balls onto the green, but a fairway bunker on the left challenges getting home in two.

Greens are heavily contoured, requiring great imagination to keep from facing long second putts. The contouring can be a bit repetitive as a number of greens (five by my count) feature a ridge dividing the front and back.

Built on a hillside, the course provides lovely views of Monterey Bay from many holes. The flip side is that over half the greens are elevated, and four more are bunkered in front, causing Black Horse to play longer than the yardage on the scorecard.

Date: November 29, 2019

Read all reviews about Bayonet & Black Horse (Black Horse)