Review for Bearwood Lakes

Bearwood Lakes is not on many people’s bucket list of courses to play. It doesn’t (yet) feature in any of the top 100 GB&I listings and it doesn’t have the reputation of the classic heathland courses that are not far away. However it is a delightful course that merits playing if you get the chance - it might just make it into your own GB&I top 100.

Lakes feature on around half of the holes with 9, 13 and 14 the standouts. The 13th is arguably the best hole on the course requiring careful positioning (or luck!) to avoid the burn off the tee and with water guarding the green front and right. A number of other holes are played through an avenue of trees.

A lake has been added to the 18th and 1st fairways which typically shouldn’t come into play for medium/long hitters but can punish a miss-hit shot and definitely adds to the aesthetics (and nerves!)

Overall the course isn’t overly difficult and is very playable, not that I managed to play it well! Its slope rating of 142 is way too high in my opinion, confirming my view that a slope rating bears little resemblance to how hard a course actually is. (I challenge anyone to play Archerfield’s Dirleton course with its gorse-lined fairways and slope of 125 and conclude that it is easier than BL.)

Overall I really liked the course and I am left wondering whether it would make it into my GB&I top 100. I rate it more highly than a few courses that are in the rankings but then again there are other courses not in the rankings that I would rate more highly. It will probably end up being borderline once I have played all of the contenders. That to me still represents a fantastic course. Play it if you get the chance.

Date: May 05, 2021