Bearwood Lakes - Berkshire - England

Sindlesham,
Nr. Wokingham,
Berkshire,
RG41 4SJ,

The beautiful Jacobean-style mansion in the Bearwood Estate reminds us what it must have been like to be a wealthy 19th century English aristocrat. The fabulous Victorian house was built for the man behind The Times newspaper, John Walter. The course at Bearwood Lakes Golf Club first opened for play in 1996 and Martin Hawtree designed it to look mature beyond its years, just as John Walter did with his mansion house.

Bearwood Lakes is a thrilling layout, which wends its way through the mature trees of the former Bearwood Estate. This is a golfer's golf course with skilfully designed and cleverly routed holes. This is certainly one of the very best new courses to have been built and, to quote Golf Links Magazine, Bearwood Lakes is "polished to perfection". Bearwood is immaculately maintained and the members benefit from stunning playing surfaces all year round.

Hawtree has skilfully blended the course into the natural surroundings and the beautiful specimen trees add to the many attractive features. There isn't a single weak hole at Bearwood Lakes – each and every one makes you think. The most memorable holes are the six sited around the natural lakes, which cover more than 50 acres.

The par four 13th is a stunner, which requires a long carry from the elevated tee across the corner of the lake to a distant fairway. The green is cut alarmingly close to the water's edge – this is not a hole for the faint-hearted. The 14th is probably Bearwood's signature hole – and it's a corking one-shotter, which requires an accurate mid iron across the corner of the lake.

To score well, especially from the back tees, you'll need to bring your 'A' game. The fairways are relatively generous in terms of width but if you stray off this carpeted surface, you'll be in all sorts of trouble – it's easy to lose a bucket load of balls in the rough at Bearwood Lakes.

Reviews for Bearwood Lakes

Description: Bearwood Lakes is an oasis of calm and beauty with dramatic views of the whole Bearwood Estate. An exclusive golf club which appears mature beyond its age. Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Reviews: 59
Tony Harrison
I played Bearwood Lakes recently for the first time with a group of friends. The day exceeded our expectations despite the course having already come highly recommended. The beautiful setting, the attention to detail in the design and layout of the course offering up tough challenges to low as well as high handicappers, the top quality of the greens, the excellent and spacious clubhouse with balcony views over the course, the most welcoming and friendly staff in both the clubhouse and pro shop, the great quality food on offer in the bar and restaurant. I’ve played many - perhaps better known - prestigious courses in the UK and I’m struggling to think of one that beats Bearwood Lakes from an overall golfing experience perspective. A real delight and very much looking forward to a return visit.
August 04, 2010

Andrew Wildey
I have played Bearwood several times this year and have been very impressed with it as a complete package. With relaxed and courteous staff the clubhouse is extremely welcoming. The golf course is tough but fun to play for all golfing abilities. Protected by high quality greens it makes for an excellent day out as a quiet fourball or with a group of fellow golfers/workmates. High quality food and drinks readily available at all times, without any fuss.
July 19, 2010

aevans
Was lucky enough to play with group of friends from home club early june - many of whom were returning to Bearwood after having wonderful previous golfing experiences there over the last few years. Reminded me a little of Archerfield near Berwick except that Bearwood feels more personal and perhaps even more welcoming. Course was in great nick, staff and hospitality excellent ... recommended.
July 15, 2010

Anthony Sharratt
It is rare to find a golf course that hits the spot both on and off the course.On arrvial we were warmly greeted by the lady (Mandy) responsible for our booking and duly presented with a personalised bag tag, bag of tees, course guide and pitch repairer.The Pro shop staff were nothing but helpful, even replaced a grip on my wedge while I warmed up on the range.The food was excellent - we manged to experience Breakfast, half way house and post round food in the club house - all was generous and of exceptional quality.The course it self is a real gem - beautifully set in the Berkshire country side - tall pines and the signature lake which comes in to effect on just the right amount of holes and providing a stunning back drop on others. The greens were fair but challenging. This place is a gem and well worth a visit!
July 14, 2010

Peter Jones
Quite simply a wonderful golfing experience. Maybe it was the glorious sunny day in late May, the warmth of the welcome from Carl Rutherford and all of his staff, the beauty and tranquillity of the surroundings, the architectural splendour of the clubhouse, the quality of the fairways and the truth of the greens; or, maybe it was all of these things and other little things that often go unnoticed, such as the abundant wildlife at work and play. Certainly the joy of the day was not down to wonderful scoring, as for a high handicapper there were an abundance of challenges that also tested my lower handicapped playing partners to the full. Day membership is one way to access this most private, but unstuffy, of courses and the experience I found to be most rewarding. I have played a handful of the top 100 courses in England, but this one would certainly get my vote. I will be back.
June 08, 2010

Paul
I had the pleasure to play Bearwood Lakes in December 2009. It was a lovely winters day and the course was in pristine condition. I really enjoyed the 1st 6 holes of the back 9 with nature at it's best with sightings of deer and plenty of woodpeckers. Very friendly staff all round and a very nice welcome at the half way house. After our round we had a lovely shower in excellent facilities and went upstairs to the superb clubhouse to enjoy one of their functions called 'the snow ball'. The food was really well presented and very tasty, then on to the dance floor to dance to their resident dj who in our opinion was excellent! What a great day at Bearwood Lakes and will be back soon!
December 15, 2009

papa rabbi
It amazes me how much different opinion there is regarding the quality of BL. Personally I thought that the setting was spectacular - there are some wonderful vistas of the Berkshire countryside and beautiful, historic buildings. I also found the staff to be excellent: nothing was too much trouble and I was made to feel like a valued guest (unlike the usual experience at Wentworth!). Unfortunately I was somewhat underwhelmed by the golf; for sure there are some good holes but I found the course to be too ‘American’ and characterless. I played there a year or so ago and can’t really remember many of the holes (about three – the par four 9th, a long uphill par 5 on the back nine and a very good par 3 across water). All that said - it is a new track and I accept that given time will develop. I would like to go back there in 10 to 15 years time to see if it’s gotten any better. I won’t however be going back soon.
November 10, 2009

Simon John Claridge
Having played many of the world's finest courses I cannot recommend Bearwood enough, for originality, breath taking views and excellent greens I can't find anything better in the UK.To try it, is to love it !
November 02, 2009

Stuart Vines
This for me is one of the best golf courses in the UK. This is a hidden gem of a course, with pleasent staff who can't do enough for you and excellent facilities, but then you reach the course...WOW. Perfect fairways, fantastic greens and a challenging course with some stunning par 3's over water and a wealth of wildlife and beautiful views acioss the Thames Valley. Having played at the likes of Wentworth and Sunningdale, myself and my colleagues all conceeded that this was by far the better of the three courses and would chose to play here over the others any day. This is a must play golf course.
August 14, 2009

Shaun
August 14, 2009
Whilst I enjoyed Bearwood I thought start and finish of the course was average. To say it is better than Sunningdale is laughable in my opinion.
John
September 18, 2009
While laughable may be a bit tough on Bearwood, it's certainly aspirational to be compared to Sunningdale. Apart from the fact that they are very different styles, the history of Sunningdale marks it apart. I do have some sympathy for the view that for most mid handicap golfers, Bearwood is eminently more accessible and may well provide a more enjoyable experience. As a place to visit, it's so much less stuffy then any of the other courses in the area...such a great change for a golf course to want to make people feel welcome and provide proper service. Great place.
Christopher Clarke
October 27, 2009
Having just played at the magnificent Bearwood Lakes (only my fourth round there and I enjoy it more each time) I was interested to read the recent comments comparing Bearwood Lakes with Sunningdale and Wentworth. I am lucky enough to have played Sunningdale a lot over the years (and Wentworth three or four times in all) and I think Bearwood Lakes is right up there with the other two, possibly more challenging than Sunningdale Old which for some reason I find easier, maybe due to familiarity. They are all in fantastic condition and in wonderful settings. For Bearwood Lakes to be as it is after only 12 or so years is to the great credit of all concerned. I imagine it can only rise up the top 100 list as time goes by, and i would certainly like to see a top amateur or even professional tournament there to see how the experts fare. I would like another crack at it one day!
Carl Tushingham
I had the pleasure of playing here on glorious summer's evening. The course was in great shape from the manicured tee's to the immaculate greens that were very fast. The greens had many subtle breaks that were difficult to read, but were very true. For me the best holes were the par 5's in particular the 2nd and 5th, and the par 3 12th was a great looking hole that looked like it had been there for many more years than the course's age. There are a few weaker holes here such as 9th and 17th and a few of the holes just don't seem natural. All in all a bit overated, but still a beautiful course.
June 08, 2009