Bearwood Lakes - Berkshire - England

Sindlesham,
Nr. Wokingham,
Berkshire,
RG41 4SJ,

The beautiful Jacobean-style mansion in the Bearwood Estate reminds us what it must have been like to be a wealthy 19th century English aristocrat. The fabulous Victorian house was built for the man behind The Times newspaper, John Walter. The course at Bearwood Lakes Golf Club first opened for play in 1996 and Martin Hawtree designed it to look mature beyond its years, just as John Walter did with his mansion house.

Bearwood Lakes is a thrilling layout, which wends its way through the mature trees of the former Bearwood Estate. This is a golfer's golf course with skilfully designed and cleverly routed holes. This is certainly one of the very best new courses to have been built and, to quote Golf Links Magazine, Bearwood Lakes is "polished to perfection". Bearwood is immaculately maintained and the members benefit from stunning playing surfaces all year round.

Hawtree has skilfully blended the course into the natural surroundings and the beautiful specimen trees add to the many attractive features. There isn't a single weak hole at Bearwood Lakes – each and every one makes you think. The most memorable holes are the six sited around the natural lakes, which cover more than 50 acres.

The par four 13th is a stunner, which requires a long carry from the elevated tee across the corner of the lake to a distant fairway. The green is cut alarmingly close to the water's edge – this is not a hole for the faint-hearted. The 14th is probably Bearwood's signature hole – and it's a corking one-shotter, which requires an accurate mid iron across the corner of the lake.

To score well, especially from the back tees, you'll need to bring your 'A' game. The fairways are relatively generous in terms of width but if you stray off this carpeted surface, you'll be in all sorts of trouble – it's easy to lose a bucket load of balls in the rough at Bearwood Lakes.

Reviews for Bearwood Lakes

Description: Bearwood Lakes is an oasis of calm and beauty with dramatic views of the whole Bearwood Estate. An exclusive golf club which appears mature beyond its age. Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Reviews: 59
Robert Smith
Myself and a friend were invited to play Bearwood Lakes on April 5th and having heard and read so many good things about it were really looking forward to our visit. We arrived a little earlier than planned and made our way into the clubhouse where we enjoyed a cup of coffee whilst sitting on the balcony overlooking the 1st, 7th and 18th holes. The weather was absolutely glorious, and looking out over the course was a fantastic experience, with deer running through the pine trees, and the urge to get out onto the first tee was almost too much to bear!Our hosts arrived shortly afterwards and we made our way down onto the first tee. The course looked a little short of the yellows, so we played off the white tees, which offered a very good game.The course itself is a real treat, with every hole offering a different challenge, and makes for a memorable day out. The tees, fairways and greens were immaculate, considering how early in the season it was, and Paul, (our host), urged us to go back later in the year when the greens would be really slick. Every green has subtle, (and some not so subtle), borrows and undulations, and I would imagine that putting on these when they are really running fast could be a nightmare!This really is a "must play" course with far too many good holes to individually mention, although the par 3 12th was my particular favourite. Stepping onto the tee instantly reminded me of some of the best courses I have played in Scotland with the green sitting down below amidst a backdrop of pine trees. This hole plays longer than it looks, it's very deceptive. It plays at least one, maybe two clubs more than you initially think. I managed a par on this one, and as 3's are my particular nemisis at the moment, I had a grin from ear to ear when I walked off the green. As I say, this course is a definite "must play"..I have played some glorious courses over the years and Bearwood Lakes is certainly in my top ten, most probably in my top 5. I cannot wait to go back and have another crack at it. I played superbly, shooting two under my handicap and three over (gross) on the back nine, so doubt if I could play it any better if I tried. But that's not the point. It's heaven and I just want the chance to walk those fairways again.
April 06, 2009

Andrew
This course is a real gem. Being so new it is almost unheard of but when you get there you are really surprised that word of mouth has not made this place better known. The course is in immaculate condition and with the variety of Tees available is a challenge for all standards of golfers. What makes this course stand out is the variety of holes. From 1 to 18 you get a different challenge. Some holes are long and demanding while the shorter holes are very well protected by bunkers, rivers and lakes. Its always nice when you have finished a round to be able to remember every hole for its different challenges rather than each hole blending into each other.Having played many great courses around the world I would rate this course very highly.
November 21, 2008

Tarby
I was invited to play this course and was very pleased with what I saw. From the clubhouse you have views down 1st and can see the approaches upto the 18th green, great viewing on a nice summers day. I really liked the layout of the holes especially where you get close to the water at the par 4 13th and the par 3 14th. I think this course is going to be much liked by anyone who plays it.
November 04, 2008

Ludo Mackenzie
Bearwood must be one of the best courses that nobody has heard of. It's immaculately kept, challenging, mature and stunning. You would never guess that this course is only 12 years old and that probably explains why it is not a household name (yet).
October 17, 2008

Phil Bonsall
This is by far the best new course that I have played in the UK in recent years.I played it in June this year, and desppite the fact that it rained all day I loved it.Some truly great par 3's, and a magnificent layout.
September 26, 2008

Goffy
Had the pleasure of playing of playing Bearwood Lakes last week on a gloriously sunny day and I must say it would be hard to find another parkland course in as good a condition as here. The fairways are generous and beautifully sculptured but if you strayed too far offline there was some very penal primary rough waiting probably resulting in a lost ball. The greens were fast and true and great to putt on. There are no obviously weak holes but the ones around the lake are the most picturesque, particularly the 13th and 14th. The clubhouse and amenities are all excellent and the staff are friendly and courteous. I would highly recommend a day at Bearwood Lakes, its a fantastic course and a great place to get away from the hustle bustle of our busy lives.
July 28, 2008

Andy
This is the fourth time I have played the course and not many courses improve on each visit but Bearwood Lakes certainly does. A few years ago the rough was too rough – this has now been cut back – still very much a hazard though but now in just the right places. A special mention about the greens which have matured into great putting surfaces which are quicker and truer year on year. Courses that are under fifteen years old in the south-east of England are bound to be up against it as the standard is so high (Sunningdale, Walton Heath, The Berkshire, Wentworth … the list goes on and on). Bearwood Lakes is a newcomer that is doing all the right things to be a memorable experience on and off the golf course. A warm welcome awaits in the clubhouse with some very attentive staff that make it their job to take care of the golfers before and after the golf. Many memorable holes and the pick of the bunch for me would be the short par-4 8th and the par-3 14th with the ‘Bearwood Lake’ to tackle. I am sure that in time, the course will be mentioned in the same circles as the established names above
July 25, 2008

Will Coker
2nd time I've played this course, the first being the dry Summer of a couple of years ago. For such a relatively young (13 years or so ?) course I think there's huge maturity to it, challenging and aesthetic alike. The clubhouse and the staff are excellent with a real customer enjoyment ethic. We found the greens deceptive although they'd been recently sanded following a corporate event. I'd thoroughly recommend going out of one's way to play there.....but make a day of it.
May 23, 2008

B owcock
Situated between the highly urbanised suburbs of Readng and Wokingham it is extrordiary what a beautifully scenic course has been created. Full marks to the designers for enhancing the natural landscape to create a magical course which appeals to golfrers of all standards.The design of the clubhouse deserves special mention for the way in which it blends into the landscape and provides spacious and relaxing facilities for all who make use of it
May 05, 2008

Dickie Duckett
I have only played Bearwood Lakes twice, and in winter months, but it has certainly impressed me with its attractive and varied layout - several of the holes are spectacular and all pose an interesting challenge. As an added attraction, it would be hard to beat the friendly welcome by the clubhouse staff.
April 29, 2008