Bearwood Lakes - Berkshire - England

Sindlesham,
Nr. Wokingham,
Berkshire,
RG41 4SJ,

The beautiful Jacobean-style mansion in the Bearwood Estate reminds us what it must have been like to be a wealthy 19th century English aristocrat. The fabulous Victorian house was built for the man behind The Times newspaper, John Walter. The course at Bearwood Lakes Golf Club first opened for play in 1996 and Martin Hawtree designed it to look mature beyond its years, just as John Walter did with his mansion house.

Bearwood Lakes is a thrilling layout, which wends its way through the mature trees of the former Bearwood Estate. This is a golfer's golf course with skilfully designed and cleverly routed holes. This is certainly one of the very best new courses to have been built and, to quote Golf Links Magazine, Bearwood Lakes is "polished to perfection". Bearwood is immaculately maintained and the members benefit from stunning playing surfaces all year round.

Hawtree has skilfully blended the course into the natural surroundings and the beautiful specimen trees add to the many attractive features. There isn't a single weak hole at Bearwood Lakes – each and every one makes you think. The most memorable holes are the six sited around the natural lakes, which cover more than 50 acres.

The par four 13th is a stunner, which requires a long carry from the elevated tee across the corner of the lake to a distant fairway. The green is cut alarmingly close to the water's edge – this is not a hole for the faint-hearted. The 14th is probably Bearwood's signature hole – and it's a corking one-shotter, which requires an accurate mid iron across the corner of the lake.

To score well, especially from the back tees, you'll need to bring your 'A' game. The fairways are relatively generous in terms of width but if you stray off this carpeted surface, you'll be in all sorts of trouble – it's easy to lose a bucket load of balls in the rough at Bearwood Lakes.

Reviews for Bearwood Lakes

Description: Bearwood Lakes is an oasis of calm and beauty with dramatic views of the whole Bearwood Estate. An exclusive golf club which appears mature beyond its age. Rating: 8.5 out of 10 Reviews: 61
Stuart Vines
This for me is one of the best golf courses in the UK. This is a hidden gem of a course, with pleasent staff who can't do enough for you and excellent facilities, but then you reach the course...WOW. Perfect fairways, fantastic greens and a challenging course with some stunning par 3's over water and a wealth of wildlife and beautiful views acioss the Thames Valley. Having played at the likes of Wentworth and Sunningdale, myself and my colleagues all conceeded that this was by far the better of the three courses and would chose to play here over the others any day. This is a must play golf course.
August 14, 2009

Shaun
August 14, 2009
Whilst I enjoyed Bearwood I thought start and finish of the course was average. To say it is better than Sunningdale is laughable in my opinion.
John
September 18, 2009
While laughable may be a bit tough on Bearwood, it's certainly aspirational to be compared to Sunningdale. Apart from the fact that they are very different styles, the history of Sunningdale marks it apart. I do have some sympathy for the view that for most mid handicap golfers, Bearwood is eminently more accessible and may well provide a more enjoyable experience. As a place to visit, it's so much less stuffy then any of the other courses in the area...such a great change for a golf course to want to make people feel welcome and provide proper service. Great place.
Christopher Clarke
October 27, 2009
Having just played at the magnificent Bearwood Lakes (only my fourth round there and I enjoy it more each time) I was interested to read the recent comments comparing Bearwood Lakes with Sunningdale and Wentworth. I am lucky enough to have played Sunningdale a lot over the years (and Wentworth three or four times in all) and I think Bearwood Lakes is right up there with the other two, possibly more challenging than Sunningdale Old which for some reason I find easier, maybe due to familiarity. They are all in fantastic condition and in wonderful settings. For Bearwood Lakes to be as it is after only 12 or so years is to the great credit of all concerned. I imagine it can only rise up the top 100 list as time goes by, and i would certainly like to see a top amateur or even professional tournament there to see how the experts fare. I would like another crack at it one day!
Carl Tushingham
I had the pleasure of playing here on glorious summer's evening. The course was in great shape from the manicured tee's to the immaculate greens that were very fast. The greens had many subtle breaks that were difficult to read, but were very true. For me the best holes were the par 5's in particular the 2nd and 5th, and the par 3 12th was a great looking hole that looked like it had been there for many more years than the course's age. There are a few weaker holes here such as 9th and 17th and a few of the holes just don't seem natural. All in all a bit overated, but still a beautiful course.
June 08, 2009

Robert Smith
Myself and a friend were invited to play Bearwood Lakes on April 5th and having heard and read so many good things about it were really looking forward to our visit. We arrived a little earlier than planned and made our way into the clubhouse where we enjoyed a cup of coffee whilst sitting on the balcony overlooking the 1st, 7th and 18th holes. The weather was absolutely glorious, and looking out over the course was a fantastic experience, with deer running through the pine trees, and the urge to get out onto the first tee was almost too much to bear!Our hosts arrived shortly afterwards and we made our way down onto the first tee. The course looked a little short of the yellows, so we played off the white tees, which offered a very good game.The course itself is a real treat, with every hole offering a different challenge, and makes for a memorable day out. The tees, fairways and greens were immaculate, considering how early in the season it was, and Paul, (our host), urged us to go back later in the year when the greens would be really slick. Every green has subtle, (and some not so subtle), borrows and undulations, and I would imagine that putting on these when they are really running fast could be a nightmare!This really is a "must play" course with far too many good holes to individually mention, although the par 3 12th was my particular favourite. Stepping onto the tee instantly reminded me of some of the best courses I have played in Scotland with the green sitting down below amidst a backdrop of pine trees. This hole plays longer than it looks, it's very deceptive. It plays at least one, maybe two clubs more than you initially think. I managed a par on this one, and as 3's are my particular nemisis at the moment, I had a grin from ear to ear when I walked off the green. As I say, this course is a definite "must play"..I have played some glorious courses over the years and Bearwood Lakes is certainly in my top ten, most probably in my top 5. I cannot wait to go back and have another crack at it. I played superbly, shooting two under my handicap and three over (gross) on the back nine, so doubt if I could play it any better if I tried. But that's not the point. It's heaven and I just want the chance to walk those fairways again.
April 06, 2009

Andrew
This course is a real gem. Being so new it is almost unheard of but when you get there you are really surprised that word of mouth has not made this place better known. The course is in immaculate condition and with the variety of Tees available is a challenge for all standards of golfers. What makes this course stand out is the variety of holes. From 1 to 18 you get a different challenge. Some holes are long and demanding while the shorter holes are very well protected by bunkers, rivers and lakes. Its always nice when you have finished a round to be able to remember every hole for its different challenges rather than each hole blending into each other.Having played many great courses around the world I would rate this course very highly.
November 21, 2008

Tarby
I was invited to play this course and was very pleased with what I saw. From the clubhouse you have views down 1st and can see the approaches upto the 18th green, great viewing on a nice summers day. I really liked the layout of the holes especially where you get close to the water at the par 4 13th and the par 3 14th. I think this course is going to be much liked by anyone who plays it.
November 04, 2008

Ludo Mackenzie
Bearwood must be one of the best courses that nobody has heard of. It's immaculately kept, challenging, mature and stunning. You would never guess that this course is only 12 years old and that probably explains why it is not a household name (yet).
October 17, 2008

Phil Bonsall
This is by far the best new course that I have played in the UK in recent years.I played it in June this year, and desppite the fact that it rained all day I loved it.Some truly great par 3's, and a magnificent layout.
September 26, 2008

Goffy
Had the pleasure of playing of playing Bearwood Lakes last week on a gloriously sunny day and I must say it would be hard to find another parkland course in as good a condition as here. The fairways are generous and beautifully sculptured but if you strayed too far offline there was some very penal primary rough waiting probably resulting in a lost ball. The greens were fast and true and great to putt on. There are no obviously weak holes but the ones around the lake are the most picturesque, particularly the 13th and 14th. The clubhouse and amenities are all excellent and the staff are friendly and courteous. I would highly recommend a day at Bearwood Lakes, its a fantastic course and a great place to get away from the hustle bustle of our busy lives.
July 28, 2008

Andy Newmarch
This is the fourth time I have played the course and not many courses improve on each visit but Bearwood Lakes certainly does. A few years ago the rough was too rough – this has now been cut back – still very much a hazard though but now in just the right places. A special mention about the greens which have matured into great putting surfaces which are quicker and truer year on year. Courses that are under fifteen years old in the south-east of England are bound to be up against it as the standard is so high (Sunningdale, Walton Heath, The Berkshire, Wentworth … the list goes on and on). Bearwood Lakes is a newcomer that is doing all the right things to be a memorable experience on and off the golf course. A warm welcome awaits in the clubhouse with some very attentive staff that make it their job to take care of the golfers before and after the golf. Many memorable holes and the pick of the bunch for me would be the short par-4 8th and the par-3 14th with the ‘Bearwood Lake’ to tackle. I am sure that in time, the course will be mentioned in the same circles as the established names above
July 25, 2008

Will Coker
2nd time I've played this course, the first being the dry Summer of a couple of years ago. For such a relatively young (13 years or so ?) course I think there's huge maturity to it, challenging and aesthetic alike. The clubhouse and the staff are excellent with a real customer enjoyment ethic. We found the greens deceptive although they'd been recently sanded following a corporate event. I'd thoroughly recommend going out of one's way to play there.....but make a day of it.
May 23, 2008