Review for Beau Desert

My trip through England’s Top 100 took me to the Midlands for the first time. I wasn’t sure what to expect as it’s not an area of Golf I’m familiar with, but if the other courses of the region are anything like Beau Desert, then I can’t wait to come back.

The welcome we received at Beau Desert (Latin for Beautiful Wilderness) was exceptionally friendly with multiple members coming up and telling us about the course, its history and how to score well. We were made to feel most welcome.

The course itself is on the short side, measuring 6,485 yards from the back tees, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy by any stretch. The course lay out is so fantastically disorientating that you need to shape a lot of shots to score well. Added to that, the greens are large and undulating. They are a real test. I imagine the members here are very good short game players. In fact the greens and surrounding areas are superb across the course.

There are some very good holes here, notably the picturesque Par 3 7th, the excellent short Par 4 9th, playing 260y, that is everything a short Par 4 should be. A fantastic risk/reward hole. The Par 5 15th and the Par 4 17th. The final hole is a lovely finishing hole playing downhill towards the clubhouse onto a large green. Beautiful finish.

My two slight criticisms would be that other than the Par 3 7th, the rest of the Par 3’s are fairly unremarkable and finally, whilst I like both the Par 5s on the course, you cannot have both where good drives are punished. A Par 5 for me should always afford you the chance of going for the green in 2 and should offer an element of risk/reward. One of our fourball hit his drive 270/280y down the middle and found himself in trouble on both. Unfair.

In conclusion this is charming and testing course, that despite its length, requires you to use a lot of shots and a variety of clubs. You would not get bored of playing this course week in week out and in my opinion is worthy of a Top 50 spot.

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

Date: February 24, 2020