The proposal to form Belmont Golf Club was published in July 1950 and the following year 240 acres of coastal land had been leased, with Prosper Ellis from Sydney engaged to lay out an 18-hole course for founding members, each of whom paid a 3 guineas subscription.
A team of around a hundred volunteers cleared the undergrowth then bulldozers were brought in to carve playing corridors through the indigenous trees that were growing in the sandy soil. Once all the natural cover had been removed, irrigation pipes were laid and fairways sprigged with grass in readiness for the course opening in 1952.
The course was configured as two returning nines, with some of the holes touching the Pacific coastline: at the 7th and 8th on the front nine, then the opening hole on the back nine. The routing then turns inland for a couple of holes before returning to the shoreline for a glorious three-hole stretch between the par three 13th and the par five 15th.
Belmont Bowling Club and Belmont Golf Club amalgamated in 2018, becoming Belmont Golf & Bowls Club.