Review for Berkshire (Red)

We arrived at the course early in the morning and were greeted warmly by the hospitality manager and invited inside for a complimentary coffee & bacon / sausage roll. After taking this, we set about looking around. The clubhouse and pro shop were a little underwhelming, but the course itself - wow.

We played the course in the summer after a couple of days of really heavy rain, but the course showed no signs of damage. There is an abundance of beautiful trees which provides great character, however the trunks are thin and well spread and generally aren't in play (due to wide fairways) meaning it's not a course where you feel you are constantly chipping sideways. Additionally, there is an abundance of heather which whilst adding character and colour to the course, was exceptionally punitive, especially compared to the fairways which were so pure.

The only qualms I had with the course is that with the exception of the 10th (a long par 3 over a heather canyon into a green with a false front and everything right falling back into the canyon), there were no standout holes. Lots of good holes, but nothing that you'd be shouting about in your local clubhouse. In addition, it felt that the greens could do with being a hare quicker, although that could have been due to the rain.

I very much enjoyed my experience, it's a beautiful course, perfectly maintained and very scorable. Worth a trip out, but was it worth the £195 green fee? I'll leave that up for debate.

Date: July 16, 2021

Read all reviews about Berkshire (Red)