Review for Bernardus

We treated ourselves to the 'member for a day' experience at Bernardus, comprising of: two rounds of golf, lunch & dinner.

I fully agree with earlier reviews that the level of maintenance and overall professionalism is at the highest standards and the practise area is second to none.

The green complexes are indeed well designed and constructed, but I could not suppress the feeling some design-ideas where repeated once to often and the stimp could not have been higher than 8 on the day we played. I found the routing pretty weak throughout the whole course and the noise and dust of the rubble breaking operation in the North West corner pretty present on a couple of holes.

I have never been a real fan of The Dutch, but I would rank the overall golf experience at The Dutch above Bernardus at this moment (and a handful of 'oude negen' courses as well). But I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a golf design expert.

If the Dutch Open is being played at Bernardus, I wonder if the professionals will pick Bernardus or The Dutch as their preferred venue. Given the overall design and total lack of rough around the holes, I'm pretty sure they won't need much to break the best winning overall score at the Dutch Open (2016, The Dutch, Joost Luiten, -/- 19)

Of course we enjoyed our day at Bernardus, but I believe the course is currently overrated when compared to the top venues of the Netherlands: I'm not sure if it is world-class and it wouldn't be on my itinerary if I had to choose only 5 rounds of golf the Netherlands.

Date: September 07, 2021